Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
an_mutt

NOVA III [LINK TO NEW THREAD IN OP]

My map is something like an Lava Hell Temple, so I sign for episode 1.

But I still have to look at the resource pack, I may change idea.

NinjaLiquidator said:

Write me under the Moon.

And this makes ten mappers for Episode 3. I'll be tentatively closing this episode now for claiming mapslots. There are still numerous slots open for both episodes 1 & 2, so folks are more than welcome to claim for those slots!

an_mutt:

Haha dont be surprised, cause Hell is boring and Swamp is good theme but its outdoor ... so for most of us the winner is Moon. Also Moon + Swamp will be most likely combined since Moon base will need a lot of glasshouses.

Swamps can have a lot of indoor structures. Doing hell the same way it has been done a million times might be boring, but hell is probably the most open to interpretation.

Sorry for changing this again, but I will do Episode 2. Even though that rhymes, I am so far into development of a level with these textures based of mesoamerican architecture like this:

Also, I have been playing a lot of Temple of the Lizardmen for inspiration.

Looking pretty interesting. Is that the default sky for episode 2 in the resource pack or did you use a custom one?

I'm not 100% sure, but it actually looks like Doom 64? I can't recognise the level, though!

Anyway, Superluigieth1, I've switched you from Episode 3 to Episode 2. For those of you following along, you probably all realise that Episode 2 is full in terms of mapslots claimed, whilst Episode 3 has one free slot. Episode 1 also has one slot remaining.

I'm realising now that this is not the best system to deal with who gets to make maps for each episode, so from this point on I'm not going to bother with having a limit on who can claim a map for which episode. However, I will still include in the OP a signifier for when a particular episode has hit its limit in terms of claims. This is so that people who have not yet claimed what episode they're mapping for can at least see what episodes are still free.

I have been hard at work for an episode 1 map. I wanted to take a spot there before all is taken. :(

If all of e3 is taken is there any way I could have just one slot in E2? I love jungle themed maps thanks to plutonia.

I've made some decent progress on my map today. I think I've nailed down the basic aesthetic for the demonic base:

The former human base is going to feature a lot of green, tan, candles and piles of skulls, and generally be a little more organic. The demonic base, opposing it across a giant chasm, will be sort of a gothic, techno neo-hell base, which looks more intentionally architected. It will feature a lot of red, gray, banners and blood fountains. It's sort of the opposite of what is 'logical', but I'm hoping I can pull it off well.

an_mutt said:

I'm not 100% sure, but it actually looks like Doom 64? I can't recognise the level, though!

Anyway, Superluigieth1, I've switched you from Episode 3 to Episode 2. For those of you following along, you probably all realise that Episode 2 is full in terms of mapslots claimed, whilst Episode 3 has one free slot. Episode 1 also has one slot remaining.

I'm realising now that this is not the best system to deal with who gets to make maps for each episode, so from this point on I'm not going to bother with having a limit on who can claim a map for which episode. However, I will still include in the OP a signifier for when a particular episode has hit its limit in terms of claims. This is so that people who have not yet claimed what episode they're mapping for can at least see what episodes are still free.

It's a beta screenshot. Originally, Doom 64 was about what Episode 2 is here.

So here's a map idea of mine; the demons have set up an earthquake machine thingy somewhere, and the Doomguy has to destroy it or shut it down.

I know how to do an "earthquake shaking" sort of effect in Boom, but I'll need to experiment with it more. But I'm not sure if it's more suited for a secret level or one of the jungle levels.

Krenium said:

I've made some decent progress on my map today. I think I've nailed down the basic aesthetic for the demonic base:

*snip*

The former human base is going to feature a lot of green, tan, candles and piles of skulls, and generally be a little more organic. The demonic base, opposing it across a giant chasm, will be sort of a gothic, techno neo-hell base, which looks more intentionally architected. It will feature a lot of red, gray, banners and blood fountains. It's sort of the opposite of what is 'logical', but I'm hoping I can pull it off well.

Looks pretty decent, though I will recommend you change that red floor grate(?) texture, it doesn't look all that great when used over larger surfaces like that.

Krenium said:

Thanks for the advice. I'll use it as more of an accent moving forward.

I will say that your wall curving is spot on, gives your rooms a interesting feel and look. Wish you best of luck my friend. :)

Guess i better 'claim' the last hell map before getting frozen out...

So as I've just announced at the end of my Erkattanne livestream, I will now be joining in NOVA 3 and learning how to become a Doom mapper. (hopefully)

I'd like to claim a Hell mapslot if there's one left, and I can only hope to deliver some kind of map by the end of the year for this project.

Here's hoping I don't fail too hard....

The first step of learning to become a Doom mapper is learning to love revenants. Then revenant to revenant revenant, the classics and revenant revenant cacowards revenant revenant revenants that revenant -- revenant revenant because revenant revenant, sometimes -- revenant revenant revenantly revenant.

The first monsters I added to my map were Revenants, in fact.

Made some more progress today. I'm mostly done with the first part, it's the second part that I need to structure.

rdwpa said:

The first step of learning to become a Doom mapper is learning to love revenants. Then revenant to revenant revenant, the classics and revenant revenant cacowards revenant revenant revenants that revenant -- revenant revenant because revenant revenant, sometimes -- revenant revenant revenantly revenant.

<3

rdwpa said:

You forget to add revenants.