Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
an_mutt

NOVA III [LINK TO NEW THREAD IN OP]

I'm not sure I want to be the one to rename things, but here are the conflicting flat names:

CEIL3_6
CEIL4_1
CONS1_1
FLAT1_2
FLAT17
FLAT2
FLAT3
FLAT5_7
FLAT8
FLAT9
FLOOR0_3
FLOOR0_6
FLOOR0_7
FLOOR4_5
FLOOR4_6
GATE1
GATE2
GATE3
RROCK17
RROCK18
RROCK20

an_mutt said:

If someone can suggest a more efficient fix or - more preferably - go through the resource pack and rename the offending textures, I'd be eternally grateful. This will probably cause a number of mappers to have to go back to their wads and change some flats to the same flats with the new updated filenames, which I can only apologise for. This is really a mistake on my behalf, and my inexperience in not spotting that some of the flats I chose were initially given the same name as doom2.wad flats.

I'll do it right now. Doom Builder has a sturdy search-and-replace function, so it won't really be a problem for the mappers. Worst case, they spend 10 minutes getting to know one of the most underused and best features of the program.
Hell, if we were mapping in UDMF, I could write a python script or something to automatically fix the maps. >_>
Here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v0kgsh3zptx3jkm/n3txv1.1.wad?dl=1
Changes:

Spoiler

CEIL3_6 - CNFLCT01
CEIL4_1 - CNFLCT02
CONS1_1 - CNFLCT03
FLAT1_2 - CNFLCT04
FLAT17 - CNFLCT05
FLAT2 - CNFLCT06
FLAT3 - CNFLCT07
FLAT5_7 - CNFLCT08
FLAT8 - CNFLCT09
FLAT9 - CNFLCT10
FLOOR0_3 - CNFLCT11
FLOOR0_6 - CNFLCT12
FLOOR0_7 - CNFLCT13
FLOOR4_5 - CNFLCT14
FLOOR4_6 - CNFLCT15
GATE1 - CNFLCT16
GATE2 - CNFLCT17
GATE3 - CNFLCT18
RROCK17 - CNFLCT19
RROCK18 - CNFLCT20
RROCK20 - CNFLCT21

Yeah, uninspired names, kill me. Still, since it's flats only, it should be really obvious for the mappers to see any errors.
an_mutt, tell them to press F3 in Doom Builder and they can search for the offending flat names in that window. If they select "Sector Flat" in the search mode, then you can automatically replace them, which is frankly much easier.

And now for something completely different, El Dorado is playable! Grab it while there's still gold in its streets, people: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xw4zorjt8iqnfag/MAP13.wad?dl=1
Updated version for the new texture WAD: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0j37nlmx6y9sfbf/MAP13_2.wad?dl=0

Looking for feedback on: The song used, which is not vanilla compatible anyway; the difficulty level (it's supposed to be medium-hard), and suggestions for visuals.
Keep in mind, the outside areas and the final arena are definitely bland, I'll add some snazz and pizzazz and sparkles to them later.

Much appreciated, Albertoni. I've changed the names of the conflicting flats to make them a little easier to find in an editor, and I'm gonna go update the OP now with the latest pack

EVERYBODY PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE NEW v1.1 TEXTURE RESOURCE AND UPDATE YOUR MAPS SO THAT IT USES THE UP-TO-DATE RESOURCE PACK!!

Fortunately it is only a handful of flats that needed changing, so it should only be a few minutes of work to make sure anybody's map is free of issues. The majority of changed flats were part of the E2 texture set, so please take particular care in checking your map if you are working on the second episode.

If you aren't entirely sure on what to do in terms of changing the flats, go to Mode and select 'Find & Replace Mode' (or press F3). Here is the list of flats that were changed:

Spoiler

CEIL3_6
CEIL4_1
CONS1_1
FLAT1_2
FLAT17
FLAT2
FLAT3
FLAT5_7
FLAT8
FLAT9
FLOOR0_3
FLOOR0_6
FLOOR0_7
FLOOR4_5
FLOOR4_6
GATE1
GATE2
GATE3
RROCK17
RROCK18
RROCK20

If you aren't entirely sure, then just run these flat names through find & replace - if they show up then you can change them to the newly named flats you chose originally with v1.0 of the resource pack. The updated flats have all been given a name with the letters _NV in them (eg. TEM_NV01), and there are 21 of these flats.

Albertoni: I would suggest reposting your map in a new post so that I can link to it in the OP. Also to make sure that it is up to date with the texture pack that I linked to earlier in this post.

As for the map itself I have a few reservations, particularly in the architecture department and gameplay. There are some genuinely cool ideas here, and the map is rich in atmosphere - the southern temple especially looks really good.

My major issue with the gameplay is that it's quite grindy, but in an unfun manner - mostly in the first part of the map. There's a fair bit of hitscanner sniping, with me having little ammunition to fight back, and the lack of health and armour adds to the feeling of not really wanting to run around the first few rooms due to the lack of cover or motivation to do so. Once the player makes it to the teleport hub part of the map most of my issues with ammo balancing go away, except for the fact you give me a plasma rifle and a bunch of cells immediately after the very grindy start of the map, which is a bit of an abrupt change in resource management. Abrupt shifts in how I'm expected to manage my resources isn't always a negative thing, but it seems accidental in this case. It would probably be better to more evenly distribute resources throughout the entire map rather than keeping it away from the player to begin with.

In terms of architecture, I'd say it's a bit too primitive - a lot of boxy rooms and corridors, mixed with organic areas that likewise are effectively large blobby boxes. Decoration does a lot to improve how these rooms look, and the gameplay is alright, but there's nothing particularly exciting the map once you've walked around it for a bit. There isn't any particularly interesting architecture, there isn't much that's dynamic about the map in terms of its layout or sector actions, etc. I think you're very much on the right track in terms of the atmosphere you're looking to evoke, only the gameplay and architecture doesn't match the ambitious atmosphere you've managed to achieve.

I feel like I'm not really conveying exactly what I'm looking to say at the moment, so it will probably be better explained once I get around to streaming some of the maps once enough of them have been posted, heh.

I played the start like this.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/wsmy18bq71k8dcc/map13_demo.lmp

I actually find this type of gameplay fun. :D

I found the difficulty to be mostly on the easy side of moderate until the final encounter. The playstyle you see in the demo probably had something to do with it, though. The final arena killed me once when I was playing casually (yes I tried to pacifist troll everything :D). Favorite part was that rev popup before the final arena.

Alright then, here's my map, updated for the newest version of the texture pack you posted:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dc9ryclr6n8jsvp/MAP13.wad?dl=1

Title: El Dorado
Players: Single player, will add coop support later
Compatibility: -complevel 9
Midi: Moonspell - A Werewolf Masquerade (temporary, maybe)

It's 100% playable but about 50% done as of this post, with the following still required before it's definitely something I'm proud of (Will keep editing this post until it's done):

1. Fix the blue and red switches opening the doors on the alternate temples
  2. A little bit more of ammo here, a little less ammo there as per an_mutt's post above (not too much, infighting on a pistol start will still be a smart idea unless you're Mike Tyson)
  3. Make decent outside areas that aren't a single height level - Forget it, what I wanted to do is impossible without spending far more time than what I'm willing to commit. I learned something out of it at least.
  4. Hell, make most areas have more than a single height level
  5. Detail the final arena like my life depended on it - Could be better, but lack of inspiration and fear of changing the gameplay struck.
  6. Make the damn floor crack in the north temple far more noticeable as even I myself forgot about it until making this post
  7. Think on some interesting visuals for the north temple (note to myself, broken walls where you can see through them like the door)
  8. Coop starts

an_mutt, im sorry, but i cant seem to get anything together. Let someone else have my spot on the claim list, please. I might have something eventually, but for now i'd rather give the spot to someone who might have a better work ethic than me

Edit: Put me in for a backup on the jungle episode, i might be able to gather something from other projects i've done

Howdy folks, apologies for my lack of activity here over the last couple weeks - University assignments, coupled with some poor life choices (don't try and make a full map for a project over a weekend!) have resulted in me prioritising other things. Anyway, some responses:

First of all, Benjogami, I did spot your thread for your map. I strongly urge you to make a post here with a link to the map, so I can link to your post in the OP. Aside from that, I guess I'm fine if anybody feels they need to make a thread for their own map, but other people in the community probably would be annoyed if it happens too often so I'd prefer it if we kept submissions here for the simple fact of not cluttering up the rest of the sub-forum.

Anyway, I haven't had time to play through the full map yet. I did have a run through the opening cave system (before getting completely wrecked by the fight after lowering the crates and lift of the blue key room) which I think needs some touching up. There should be a lot of time for you to tinker around with those areas to pretty them up, so I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of it!

sincity2100 said:

It's hard to gather much from a lone screenshot, but one thing that stands out is the flat level of lighting throughout. Possibly have the lighting of where the player and the enemies are be 128, and the outdoor area be 192? Lighting does a lot to improve the atmosphere of any map, and I suggest to everyone that they experiment as much as possible with high and low lighting levels, sector lighting effects, etc. as it can yield some awesome results.

I'd also recommend avoiding the use of tech lights, as they don't mesh well with the Egyptian/Aztec themes. I think this is the time where objects such as torches and floor candles could do a lot of good work, so it would be nice to see them get incorporated into these e2 maps, guys!

40oz said:

Sorry I'm crossposting, but I have a map I'd be willing to donate to the project should you guys have any use for it.

Sorry 40oz, but this is a mapset specifically for new mappers. :~>

Seeing as he is not willing to participate any more, is it okay if I take Protesters map spot 11? Or are there still space for an other map?

NeedHealth said:

Seeing as he is not willing to participate any more, is it okay if I take Protesters map spot 11? Or are there still space for an other map?

There are a number of mappers already in back-up slots, and Beed28 took over Protester's slot when he gave it up. By all means, if you want to be put down as a mapper I can do so. Map 11 is part of episode 1 though, is that the episode you want me to put you down for?

Here's the latest version of my map (version 4)

It's MAP28, and you'll have to include the NOVA texpure pack now, unlike previous versions.

All skill levels and coop are implemented. I feel pretty done, except for whatever tweaks and fixes that feedback prompts. I'll edit this post with updates.

New in version 4:

- Fixed an issue where monsters were stuck on eachother in some skill levels
- Added some recommended cosmetic upgrades

an_mutt said:

There are a number of mappers already in back-up slots, and Beed28 took over Protester's slot when he gave it up. By all means, if you want to be put down as a mapper I can do so. Map 11 is part of episode 1 though, is that the episode you want me to put you down for?

Yeah I'll take that slot.

I might be going overboard on the grass? (don't worry, that's a single sector, I learned what making that many sectors in a small space causes around 10 years ago)

Spoiler

I might also be going overboard with lighting, just a liiiiiiiiittle bit.
Spoiler

Albertoni, I'm digging the lighting. The grass, I'm not so sure about, seems a little too excessive, heh.

Personally, I like grass in little clumps:

Spoiler

eureka screenshot because db2 doesn't work on school computers ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks, guys. My map is pretty much done, if you want to see it in action I've updated the file. Now all that remains is to wait for the beta phase so I can get more feedback on it.

AD_79 said:

The grass, I'm not so sure about, seems a little too excessive, heh.

Well, it's kinda supposed to be the overrun by nature side of the map. The other parts are much less dense. I'm just afraid someone with a toaster for a computer might get some framerate issues.

an_mutt said:

Sorry 40oz, but this is a mapset specifically for new mappers. :~>

Out of curiosity, what do you consider "new mappers"? Some screenshots people post across the forum (in here and the pictures thread) are for this project and the architecture displayed are, personally, rather impressive for new mappers in most case.

Latest version of my map is here (version 6). It's called "Mare Crisium" and plays in the MAP01 slot.

Here's a screenshot.

Oh right, forgot I was making a map for this! /sarcasm

In all seriousness, I didn't forget - progress has just been incredibly slow. I'd post a few screenshots but I feel that the map isn't polished enough yet to be shown off.

Oh boy, I'm usually much more meticulous than that. I've also updated the OP to link to Benjogami's updated map. I haven't had time to do anything beyond play for a couple minutes through whatever maps have been posted over the last few days, because I'm genuinely certified bad at making use of academic time and hating my life as a result. I'll be sure to have in-depth write-ups on everything some time next weekend, once I'm free from assignments!

Speaking of which, Sincity2100, your link goes to a 404. :<