Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
an_mutt

NOVA III [LINK TO NEW THREAD IN OP]

I'd say go for it. The earlier you catch problems with your map, the better, and I'm sure you don't want to go un-detailing your map because a portion needs reworking.

I'll try to have something ready by the 1st, but I'm not making any promises. I haven't done any monster placement yet, and all the key areas need reworked for my map.

So it's not looking like my map will be in a playable-to-completion state by the 31st but I will shoot to have it done as soon as possible thereafter.

I dont wanna say anything, but my map is a beast.
Now I have 54k linedefs, 406 monsters, 8 secrets, and UV-max is 18 minutes long.
Approx 85% of map is done. But I will be not able to finish 1.6.2016. How big problem is that?

Crimson Hollow 2.0. Re-textured a few areas for some visual variety, replaced/added enemies and did some other miscellaneoud edits/additions here and there.

Sorry, I will not be able to release something for the first deadline. I scrapped the map because I was going nowhere (tried to do a corrupted moon base in hell). I will make a new one, still in the Hell Episode.

NinjaLiquidator said:

I dont wanna say anything, but my map is a beast.
Now I have 54k linedefs, 406 monsters, 8 secrets, and UV-max is 18 minutes long.
Approx 85% of map is done. But I will be not able to finish 1.6.2016. How big problem is that?

It's not a problem at all. According to the first post, the real deadline is when there are 32 maps done for the project. This deadline is only for mappers to show their progress.

Unfortunately I won't be able to make the first deadline, real life has gotten in the way of progress. The layout is almost finished I just need to place monsters and items before it will be finished

Won't make the deadline, but just to show I started something, in case it was missed in the screenshot thread. It's only a start area at the moment, and I'm not sure what to do for the next room other than it's the interior of the building. Hopefully I won't scrap it as usual :P

Not going to be able to make anything for the alpha 1 deadline, alas. I will continue to work on my mapping though!

Won't make the deadline either. I do have a vague idea of what my map will be. The hardest part is actually making it.

I doubt I'd be able to have anything that doesn't look awful by tomorrow, but I might have something playable.

Might cut out the second half of the map entirely and upload the first half as that's a lot closer to being finished and the bit I'm happiest with, getting some feedback to finetune that might be useful.

Thanks for the updates, everyone - I'm gonna go ahead and begin compiling the first alpha some time tomorrow, and hopefully I'll have a compiled wad for folks to begin testing by the end of the week. By all means, if someone is like 80% done at this point and thinks they can squeeze in an update in the next day or two, I'll probably be able to include it in the first alpha.

I'll be streaming my feedback of each map within the alpha at some point on the weekend - I'll post when I have an exact time, and I'll be sure to make a VOD so everyone can view their own map's testing.

everennui said:

I haven't completely ran through the entire thread, but I came across your map and I thought it was really fun to play! Is that the most updated version?

Edit: Criticisms:

[... + blah blah blah = .b .l .a .h]

That's all I can really think of. Just the lights and the end game. I thought everything was textured really well and it was interesting to play. Kudos.

Ok. Thanks. Actually, there is a updated revision which is longer which you can probably see some pages later. I was really going to leave! What a dumbass I am.

OK chaps, I'm mostly finished with compiling but I figured I'd extend things for another 24~ hours, seeing as this has been quicker and easier than I expected (famous last words, I know...) Anyone who thinks they can submit something in a fully playable state by Friday morning and only need one more mapping session of a few hours, now's your time!

Also, the following maps are in need of either music, a mapname, or both:

Mare Crisium by Benjogami - music
untitled map by sincity2100 - music & name
The Crow Comes Last by Angry Saint - music
untitled map by Tactical Stiffy - name
untitled map by AnonimVio - name

I'm keen to take suggestions from anyone, although obviously the mapper has first call over their own map's music and name. Frankly, I'd rather they come up with those things themselves, but if they can't think of anything appropriate I'm sure someone will be quick to suggest something.

Mine's coming along well but if I'm going to be honest, ill probably need another couple of weeks, is that ok? With me being in a backup slot, what shall I do with mine if you end up not needing it?

Hi, sorry for disappearing.
I've been extremely busy lately, but I haven't lost the ideas I had for my map.
For now you can drop me off to the reserve slots, assuming anything comes up, I'd rather not work it out while stressed under a deadline. I know it's my fault, but other things got in the way and without paying attention we're already at June...

So um, I'd like you to put me on reserve for now, and if anyone else would like to claim my slot from the reserve list then feel free to do that.

OK then, it's nowhere near complete honestly but I'd love some feedback on what I have so far. Seems to work fine in PRBoom+ at Comp -9 in the few runs I've gone through it.

Mostly looking for feedback on monster placement and health/ammo balance at this stage.

Things that need doing still:

- Planning to add some waves of enemies that spawn after the two side areas when you get outside, right now you've got a ton of space and a few (not very dangerous) threats, but I'm planning to add some teleport pressure as well, probably throwing in a huge imp wave, a flyer wave and eventually some archies after hitting the final switches.

- Adding more cover and interesting obstacles in the outside area, I want some large pillars into the sky type things, partially for cover and partially to just make it a more interesting area to fight in

- A ton of detailing

- Most of the lighting

- Fine-tuning the weapon/health/monster balance

Also if anyone can provide suitable music, that would be nice. I have no idea about anything in that area.

Map name is 'Lunatic Dais'

Link: https://www.mediafire.com/?isqpeh67ccgqex6

Alright chaps, I'll be posting the first alpha around this time tomorrow (5PM GMT) so y'all have about 24 hours to get something to me. I have a large number of hell and temple maps, and only one e3 map so far, so I would greatly appreciate it if folks could post one or two more moon maps!! I will be streaming my feedback of the alpha some time on Sunday, most likely around 5PM again.

Finakala said:

OK then, it's nowhere near complete honestly but I'd love some feedback on what I have so far. Seems to work fine in PRBoom+ at Comp -9 in the few runs I've gone through it.

Map name is 'Lunatic Dais'

Link: https://www.mediafire.com/?isqpeh67ccgqex6

I don't have much time to go through providing full feedback, but I will say that I quite enjoyed this. The lift lowering and revealing a little of the tech base at the start is a really cool touch.

As for the monster placement, some of it indeed in need of touching up: examples that come to mind are the spectres that teleport into the north-east room which are ineffective, and the mancubi that you fight after getting the blue key which are in thin corridors and corners to hide behind. You can just camp the corner to take care of them, and there's little to no pressure on you to deal with them quickly. The Spider Mastermind was also easy to take care of, mostly because its waking up lets the player know that it'll be coming at some point and you can prepare for it. Surprising the player with the Spider and perhaps taking away the BFG (maybe keep it in a secret?) can make it so in-fighting becomes more important in the final area. I definitely agree on the idea of having it have much more horde-style gameplay. Also caco-fleets, obviously.

The northernmost area with the blood and rocks is quite plain, and I assume that is one of the areas you'll be looking to touch up.

Aside from all of that, I think the map is good! If you can sneak an update in before this time tomorrow I'll be able to get it in. Would definitely like to have more than one moon map in here! I can add this submission instead, however, if you can't post another update in time and would like to have something in.

Finakala said:

Also if anyone can provide suitable music, that would be nice. I have no idea about anything in that area.

I have a pretty large stash of music to choose from, so I should be able to pick out something fitting. I'll also be adding custom music to Angry Saint's and sincity2100's maps if they haven't provided me with a suggestion by tomorrow.

I can give you a bit of a moon map, but its only about half finished, with no exit. Will this be useful for the alpha?

Okie dokie chaps, about 6 hours after I promised:

NOVA III ALPHA ONE

Map list:

untitled map by Tactical Stiffy
Calm the Fire by AnonimVio
untitled map by scotty
Crimson Hollow by MFG38
The Crow Comes Last by Angry Saint
El Dorado by Albertoni
untitled map by sincity2100
Khmeer Agul Tan by CWolfRu
Mare Crisium by Benjogami

I've did some basic testing just to make sure everything plays. No doubt I'll have missed some things; I'll be streaming my full feedback of every map tomorrow evening around 5PM GMT, etc. etc.

Map list and music is obviously not final; of the three maps I chose music for (scotty's, Angry Saint's, and sincity2100's) I wasn't 100% sure on these tracks and will gladly take suggestions. Likewise, as the mapset starts to fill out I will be taking suggestions on what the level order should be. Anyway, on to testing!

Nice. Shame there's only 9 maps from like 40+ signups though?!

I actually did change the music in the latest version i sent earlier today buddy :P not to worry. I'll name the map later, i usually do that last anyway. I will say in advance, i know my map will seem barren in parts especially the northwestern area where the Plasma Gun is. That whole area is going to be substantially built upon. To be honest over half this map was pushed to get done for this deadline and will be worked on.

I'll have a playthrough myself at some point in the next week and give some thoughts.

scotty said:

Nice. Shame there's only 9 maps from like 40+ signups though?!

I'm not surprised, frankly - it's par for the course, considering the previous two NOVAs. :P

scotty said:

I actually did change the music in the latest version i sent earlier today buddy :P

Oh my goodness, I didn't even realise! Would you prefer to keep the midi you chose, or the one I selected?

Ah, no worries then... :D I played some Nova 2 earlier and am in awe of some of those maps (map 29, fuck)...

The midi i originally picked was this as i wanted something foreboding but with some energy behind it. Anything in this vein would be good i think:

Ok, I played some maps of the alpha 1 (only the Hell maps for now). Some of my first impressions, I play with GlBoom-Plus 2.5.1.4 in UV and pistol start on each map :

* MAP01 (Tactical Stiffy) : Nice map overhaul and good MAP01 candidate. The chaingun is late but it's not a big problem as only low tier monsters are encountered, and the chainsaw is available early. I notice the blocking monsters lines at the crushers, I have no real thought on that.

* MAP02 (AnonimVio) : Very short and hard map. I did several tries before using saves. I find that health is scarce. I was taking my time on this map, maybe I was playing it wrong.

* MAP03 (scotty) : Cool looking map overhaul with some texture misalingment (the bricks at the yellow door for instance). However, I didn't finish this map because I was somehow stuck. I pull a switch and this happen :

I don't know if it was the right way to go as I found there was something behind it with the computer map (and this computer map wasn't a secret somehow). There is some rather unpractical stairs too :

And the area on the image below is too dark imo. In software mode with gamma off, this area is pitch black (the image was taken in hardware mode) :

* MAP04 (MFG38) : Very spacious map, it really feels empty too (and underdetailed). The monsters aren't a threat, I was just searching and taking the keys. An example of how spacious it is :

Reducing the space should make the map more challenging.

* MAP05 (Angry Saint) : Nice architecture and details. But the health is very scarce. It was the last map I played and I didn't finish it because I kept dying.

It's late, I'm going to sleep. And sorry for the miss click/posting too soon.

Malrionn said:

* MAP03 (scotty) : Cool looking map overhaul with some texture misalingment (the bricks at the yellow door for instance). However, I didn't finish this map because I was somehow stuck. I pull a switch and this happen :

Yeah I'm stuck at the same place too weird.