Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
an_mutt

NOVA III [LINK TO NEW THREAD IN OP]

Malrionn said:

* MAP03 (scotty) : Cool looking map overhaul with some texture misalingment (the bricks at the yellow door for instance). However, I didn't finish this map because I was somehow stuck. I pull a switch and this happen :

I don't know if it was the right way to go as I found there was something behind it with the computer map (and this computer map wasn't a secret somehow). There is some rather unpractical stairs too :

And the area on the image below is too dark imo. In software mode with gamma off, this area is pitch black (the image was taken in hardware mode) :

1 - texture alignments i'll get around to eventually. With that switch, the intention is to ride the lift up to the next area, but i'll add some sort of reset of it in case the player runs away (nice spot, i hadn't considered this situation).

2 - i'll smooth the stairs out, they were rushed. I thought that the comp map was better as an 'unofficial' secret cause it is fairly obvious and not really so essential for this map.

3 - i thought it was ok, borderline but ok from my tests in prBoom and zDoom, will see if this is a general opinion or not before making any changes...

I just noticed there might be a graphical glitch with the 3d bridge on some source ports, will fix it...

Thanks for your impressions :)

edit - fixed some of these issues (hopefully):

http://www.mediafire.com/download/j57dc9wv8yccc75/novascotty.wad

Bump,

scotty said:

edit - fixed some of these issues (hopefully):

http://www.mediafire.com/download/j57dc9wv8yccc75/novascotty.wad

I have played and finished the level in UV. Solid map, I have discovered all secrets except one (the one where you could get a cell pack and a soulsphere). And now I see why you want to keep the area as dark as it is.

For the following maps, I play in HMP and pistol start (still using GlBoom-Plus 2.5.1.4) :

* MAP05 (Angry Saint) : I have more chances in HMP than I had in UV, less hitscanners at the beginning in HMP help me saving the precious medikits. Health was OK to me in HMP. However, with the great architecture and the well fitting midi, it was a great trek and level.

Two more things : one, it seems like you forgot to use block monster lines on these ledges (one chaingunner fell off this ledge) :

And two, the lines at the edge of the map are not hidden, they can be seen in the automap.

* MAP06 (Albertoni) : Somehow I can't pull the End switch, so I can't finish the level. However, I liked the "Monsters Condo" setting with the red and blue keys. I find that the ammo was very scarce through the level except at the end arena. I was forced to use the fists against at least the pinkies and I didn't find any beserk in HMP (I find 4 secrets of 6 in my playthrough).

Easy glide here :

Can't pull this switch :

--------------------

I will play the 3 last maps tomorrow or saturday, and maybe showing some WIP pics of the map I'm working on.

Malrionn said:

* MAP06 (Albertoni) : [Lots of stuff]

Thanks for the bug reports. I don't really have the time to spend finetuning the map right now (end of semester in the southern hemisphere), but I'm keeping an eye on this topic and you can be sure I've thought quite a bit on how to balance better the ammo.

up to MAP06 in the alpha 1: every map so far has settings implemented except 02, 03, and 04.

MAP01

There's quite a difficulty spike between ITYTD/HNTR and HMP, particularly in the beginning room. No real issues in this map though.

MAP04

What use are the demons in the berserk pack room? They are behind the windows and can't do anything at all. Nevermind, I found the trigger that releases these guys. But still, I can punch them and they can't retailiate there.

MAP06

this crate looks really weird and the exit switch doesn't seem to work.

played the rest of the maps three times each.

MAP07

The bridge that raises to the blue key still has the water texture on it (try action 22).

MAP08

Stepping over linedef tag 30 releases monsters in the small area there, but if I'm standing on one of their destinations, one monster may not teleport (tested this in HMP and UV) and I miss out on that one entirely.

Not sure what's up with that one secret that takes me to a megasphere and the red key, that seemed to be a random wall press, and I can do it from the ground as well, which obviously meant a sequence break of sorts since I when I get the red key I can potentially exit at that point.

MAP09

Not too keen on the monster placements on each difficulty setting. especially in that one corridor to the yellow key. There are revenants coming out on HMP and UV, but on ITYTD/HNTR, there are hell knights and a baron coming out instead. Pretty odd considering they're a bit stronger than revenants HP-wise.

AngrySaint: Yes, I am well known with disliking monster popups. Your map would be way better without them, and still remain enough hard. Its enough hard (in good way) with current monster placement and layouts, so you dont have to do such a brainfucking shit.
By the way, I také back that quote about missing health - I have seen some Supercharge in lava when I was checking video after myself :D

The 3 last maps of the alpha 1. HMP difficulty, pistol start, and using GlBoom-Plus 2.5.1.4 :

* MAP07 (sincity2100) : Basic and rather short map, nicely detailed and in a lovely egyptian theme. Lot of zombies in HMP, which make the level quite easy despite the "surge" gameplay at the beginning. I have ignored the revenants at the end of the map after activating the switch. Ammo and health are balanced, no scarcity in HMP. I have discovered 2 of 3 secrets in my playthrough.

* MAP08 (CWolfRu) : The Cyberdemon map, with 4 cybers in HMP. Egyptian theme like the previous map, well detailed too. There are few monsters in this map in HMP, and somehow still have the 2 cyberdemons in the room to the yellow bars, but it wasn't really hard for me. Like in the previous map, health and ammo are balanced in HMP. I have discovered 1 of the 2 secrets in my playthrough.

You can cheese this cyberdemon with the blue bar, and he can't go outside of his closet (I don't know if this is intended or not) :

* MAP09 (Benjogami) : This is an atmospheric map with a fitting midi and a nice progression (cave, base, surface). However, the ending fight was underwhelming compared to the red key fight in HMP, the Spider Mastermind wasn't a real threat and there was enough cover to avoid the monsters projectiles. Health and ammo are nicely balanced and scattered through the level in HMP, and I have discovered all the secrets in my playthrough.

Bump,

I'm finally going to show some pictures of my map, still in WIP. I started the map at the beginning of June and I have only done the starting room and nearly finished the main area of the map, which is roughly 25% - 30% of the total progression. Yes, I'm a terribly slow mapper. The pics show what I have done so far.

Here's the link : https://imgur.com/a/6ejoi

Alright, been poking a bit into my map. Added a bit more ammo. Not too much out in the open, I still want to leave you scrounging for ammo. Two more secrets too. Now I gotta rework the exit, that bland wall is making my non-existent OCD go crazy.

Fixed the glide bug through the keyed bars (I think, you can't glide through a 31-units-wide space, right?).

Finally, some more detailing. Not a fan of how this one turned out, you might like it more:

Malrionn said:

I'm finally going to show some pictures of my map, still in WIP. I started the map at the beginning of June and I have only done the starting room and nearly finished the main area of the map, which is roughly 25% - 30% of the total progression. Yes, I'm a terribly slow mapper. The pics show what I have done so far.

Here's the link : https://imgur.com/a/6ejoi

Love what I'm seeing so far!
Do you want a tip, though? Raise the sector of those carpets by just 1 or 2 units, and put some red texture in the sides. Makes them much better looking for those of us playing on higher resolutions.

Nah, just a bunch of sectors with 1 height difference between them. Works fine in prboom albeit it probably would insta-crash vanilla.

But then, my map would already insta-crash vanilla.

Final version of El Dorado, barring terrible bugs:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k70dzp5lpqq2uv8/MAP13_2.wad?dl=1

Quick review of the first maps on HMP with pistol start:

Map 1: Not a fan of the littlest switches in the world, personally. You might also want to mark some of the lines outside the map as Not Shown On Map.
Other than that, pretty solid, pretty good, pretty easy. Loved the water changing colors.

Map 2: No idea how to reach the secret without jumping. Short, hard, 10/10. Maybe some more shotgun ammo at the start would help though. I ended up shooting the revenants with the pistol. You might also want to mark some of the lines outside the map as Not Shown On Map.

Map 3: So I was strolling down this corridor and I died. I pulled this switch and I died. I opened this door, died and my dead body was revived just so they could kill me again. It was pretty fun. Easily my favorite level so far.

Map 4: First room looks quite boring. The gameplay is fine, other than things already mentioned.
I really, really like the aesthetic of those giant corridors though. 10/10 beauty, 8/10 gameplay.

My map submission is ready, I know I'm only in a backup slot but I just can't help myself;

Cast your mind back to the late nineties (if possible) I'm sure you all remember D!ZONE, well I spent a few weeks playing through DUKE!ZONE, there were some horrors in there, but there were also a few gems, among those were a couple of massively exploratory moon bases, named BETAONE.MAP and BETATWO.MAP.

I give you BETATHREE.WAD

Basically, I saw the old duke3d moon texture in the resource pack, and came over all nostalgic

Map has no multiplayer support or skill modes yet, and replaces MAP22 (so it renders with the correct sky)

Have a go, let me know what you think!

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5qaltu4z2xkan48/betathree.wad?dl=1

That looks awesome dt_ :)

That looks great. Here's an FDA: http://www.mediafire.com/download/fzsat9bjaqpjasb/b3_rdwpa_fda.lmp. (42:xx, 94% kills, 50% secrets, no deaths.) My controls are really compromised as explained here -- https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1641114 -- so I have to play like a grandma.

This map is pretty awesome. Some of the later encounters in the BK-requiring area felt a bit toothless -- by then I had lots of cells and nearly topped off health/armor. Navigation was a bit confusing, even with the computer map. Seemed like there were a lot of areas that might have been interconnected but were just linked via windows. Really liked the repopulation of existing areas with scroller teleports. Was there a way to get back outside to the first area where cacos warp in? I noticed a secret afterwards.

Wow, that was fantastic. Great atmosphere throughout, and the combat felt dangerous enough whilst also remaining fair. The only major thing that stood out to me was the sky tiling in the exit room, but if necessary we should be able to whip up a starry sky transfer for that.

Anyway - good job!

Cheers for the comments and FDA! Ill have a gander at that tomorrow. Yeah you are meant to be able to lower that door that raises up from the inside of the building after you have collected the red key and made your way back round. Thinking about it, that lock in is a bit uneccessary; I might revise that section when I implement DM stuff and skill modes. Wrt the sky tiling- I know there's a way round it with boom but I'm not sure how to sort it exactly- this is my first ever boom map, and I've really enjoyed the freedom and flexibility of generalised linedefs, and especially the ability to 'scroll texture right' for the first time in my life!

Howdy! I was looking through the FAQ on the sign up thread and found that my question wasn't answered. This doesn't pertain specifically to signing up. It doesn't look like there's any room left, but if I were to use the textures could I release that wad? I apologize if this is a dumb question or if you answered this someplace else.

Lo_Mein said:

Howdy! I was looking through the FAQ on the sign up thread and found that my question wasn't answered. This doesn't pertain specifically to signing up. It doesn't look like there's any room left, but if I were to use the textures could I release that wad? I apologize if this is a dumb question or if you answered this someplace else.

I'm not going to stop you if you make use of these textures for your own personal use, however there may be need to update them at some point in the future (in case of further mistakes being spotted in the pack, etc.). All of these textures have been sourced from other texture wads (Valiant, Deus Vult II, Brotherhood of Ruin, GothixTX, to name a few) and I would like to have produced a finalised resource pack with a text file crediting all sources before I give any kind of permission for it to be used outside of the project - for what good that is worth.

The best thing for you to do would just be to check out the resource packs I named, as a significant amount of the textures available are sourced from there. If you find any textures in the pack that you can't find a source for, then let me know via PM and I'll track down where I got it from.

an_mutt said:

The best thing for you to do would just be to check out the resource packs I named, as a significant amount of the textures available are sourced from there. If you find any textures in the pack that you can't find a source for, then let me know via PM and I'll track down where I got it from.

Ok! Thanks for the advice. I think I'll take a look at those other resource packs. I assumed it was a combination of others because I had seen a lot of the textures before, it was just convenient to not have to combine the packs myself.

I am still working on my NOVA 3 entry; in fact with the busy few months I'm expecting to have with work and other things, most of my current streams are going to be focused on being mapping ones so I can get my map out there for playtesting!

Slowly but surely I have a map being created....

Lo_Mein said:

Could just make a map for this project cause i really can't see several of the people who signed up actually bothering to contribute a map at this point... :)

scotty said:

Could just make a map for this project cause i really can't see several of the people who signed up actually bothering to contribute a map at this point... :)

I'll say this:
FragMan is going to make a map; I'm going to go to his house and force him at gunpoint to map if necessary. He convinced me to enter this along with him, so he's going to finish what he started like I did.