Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
an_mutt

NOVA III [LINK TO NEW THREAD IN OP]

Chainworm666 said:

Also, can anyone submit more than one map? I'd love to do a jungle/swamp themed map, but the moon also sounds interesting.

A final question - what mapping format should I use?

The way things are going, I think nobody will take offense if people submit two maps.

Standard Doom format is fine, you can use all the advanced features Boom has too.

an_mutt said something about if you do two maps, one might be dropped if there ends up being an excess amount if maps (so be aware of that possibility).

So... I got the basic layout done of the second area of "Dante Allegory". Made the enemy placement, too - and items. I think, or rather believe all difficult level are accounted for - please tell me if you ran out of ammo.

Everything is subject to change - of course.
Also, I noticed that when using eyeswitch textures as door, they only animate in zdoom. In prboom plus they stay non-animated. I'm using prboom plus 2.5.1.4 , b t w - dunno if that is an older version.

Please record an .lmp if you play my map !!

e: I am almost certain about what music track this map will have. We'll see.
e2: old link removed.

NeedHealth said:

Looks good ! What map slot are you mapping for ?

Thanks. :) I am aiming for an early map in episode 2.

I revisited NOVA III, a contest where I tried and failed doing a map for.
Now I see it only has two MIDIs. What's a megaWAD without MIDIs? Surely not a quality megaWAD at least.

And I have been improving my music quality, not that it's very good, but criticism is rising and, while I don't think they are really too good, I'd like to post a lunatic music... or better, a rather Lunatic Hell. Not that the music is bad, that's actually just it's title -- and download link!

EDIT: Oh wait, there are two AUTHORS! Sorry for my mistake. Anyways, this is my music if you want to use further C:

-Gustavo

Okay. Third times a charm. Fixed some erogenous erroneous textures and what not. I realised that you would end up with a lot of CH bullets left if you played it safe with SSG so I tried to mitigate that. Strange that I didn't caught it before ... .

Basically what is left is play testing. I try to make sure that the player has about 30-40 bullets left after each encounter - not counting the goodie area of course. This has turned into a bit of a headache when I realised that enemies also drop ammo. Thank Satan there is no crushers that the ammo can disappear under ... . The difficulty testing is pretty much nailed on "I'm to young to die" and "Ultra-Violence" settings, the others ("Hey, not to rough" and "Hurt me plenty") - not so much. So please play this map at these two skill settings at first !

I am not bothering with doing Nightmare testing at all for obvious reasons.

Please record an .lmp if you play my map !

Link.

So I started my map today, I decided to do a Jungle/Swamp/Temple themed map. The main idea is a mine in the jungle, in which remains of an ancient culture has been found.

I looked of the Boom map format, look's like it's pretty nice, more possibilities, but not overly complex like the ZDoom oder UMDF stuff or something I tried a while ago, so I guess I'll use that.

Here's a first screenshot (there's not much to see yet)

Is it possible to change the sky? I did this in my WAD with Mapinfo, which seems to bee ZDoom compatible, but will this work with Boom? I have no Idea about that port/map format so far :/

Chainworm666 said:

Is it possible to change the sky? I did this in my WAD with Mapinfo, which seems to bee ZDoom compatible, but will this work with Boom? I have no Idea about that port/map format so far :/

Mapinfo is... Pretty much ZDoom specific. Some other ports support it, but they're not as used as Boom and (G)ZDoom.

You need linedef action 271, lemme copy you the relevant info from the wiki:

Uses the line's upper texture as the sky in any tagged sectors (that is, the sky flat will be replaced with that texture [...] Offsets and scrolling of the texture are transferred to the sky as well. Scrolling, however, is only at a tiny fraction of the wall texture's scrolling speed. [...]

Note: The line's lower texture, if set and of the same dimensions as the upper texture, will be used during lightning flashes.

Albertoni said:

Mapinfo is... Pretty much ZDoom specific. Some other ports support it, but they're not as used as Boom and (G)ZDoom.

You need linedef action 271, lemme copy you the relevant info from the wiki:

Thanks for the info, I'll try that :) But I noticed, the second episode will have an other sky anyway, a orange one - together with the jungle setting it reminds me of Vietnam games and movies ;)

Is there a good tutorial site or a wiki about the Boom engine/map format like the ZDoom wiki? I did a quick search, but didn't find anything too much useful...

Dregs of a Bitter Cup

Alas, it is here. All feedback will be greatly appreciated. The map temporarily uses Zdoom mapinfo for the title and music, only because I do not know how to use dehacked.

Also, I really like how your map looks so far, Chainworm666!

Edit: I forgot to mention, the map is for episode 2.
Second Edit: I've updated the link to version 2, which has slightly altered and more balanced gameplay for UV.

Chainworm666 said:

Is there a good tutorial site or a wiki about the Boom engine/map format like the ZDoom wiki? I did a quick search, but didn't find anything too much useful...

99% of the line actions are the same. Maybe the number changes but the name does not. In fact, the one you asked for is the single one I know that's different in more ways that just the number between those engines.

Just trust the ZDoom wiki and search by the names of the actions instead of the numbers, if anything does go wrong I can try to help.

Any particular deadline for this (other than "when the slots get filled")? I'm working on a couple Quake maps for some community projects over at func_msgboard but if I can I'd like to get my paws all over Doombuilder. A swampy map would be fun.

My computer is acting up giving off errors. I might be forced to have some downtime but my priority is getting the map done. I know what needs fixing but due to tiredness from real life (tm) I have limited energy currently.

MarketAnarchy said:

Okay, here's some new images for my map where it is now in development:

[snip lots of pictures]

Awesome stuff!

The last 4 pictures are looking a bit boring though, try adding some more variation in textures and flats.

Specially this one, the flats on the floor and ceiling are uglyyyyy: http://666kb.com/i/dgk0zbgc0g4h5tppt.png

MarketAnarchy said:

Okay, here's some new images for my map where it is now in development:

su08 inspired? It looks splendid.

It's definitely Sunder 08 inspired, including the hoards of cacodemons I'm putting in.

I hope it brings insane_gazebo back, if only to tell me "don't do that" because Sunder is amazing.

Obake, i just played through your map, i quite liked it generally and think it would fit in well as an early map around 3-4ish, maybe with some changes though.

I managed 100% kills and 1/3 secrets (found the soulsphere), and left with maxed out ammo (except for rockets, had about 5 left).

Here's my thoughts/constructive criticism:
- i especially enjoyed the first half of the map, those cold stone hallways fit very nicely with the midi selected, it created a great atmosphere for me
- ammo very generous. TBH i felt that the PR was given too late in the level to be any real use. It would be better provided at the YK door trap (more on that trap below), although equally, i don't think the PR is really required in this map at all, it would not be missed by me anyway.
- an early armour would have been nice with all the gunners around, rather than waiting until halfway through the map. Equally some more health in the early areas would allow for more aggressive play, which would be a benefit here.
- the yellow key trap was a real difficulty spike, at least it felt that way as i arrived with low health and obviously just giving a green armour doesn't really remedy that. I feel a health pickup just before a trap like that would be pretty fair given the context of the rest of the map.
- Archies felt token and didn't really add anything imo
- it might be nice if some passageways open up as you get deep into the map, that allow for easier backtracking? I killed everything then went secret hunting, and found it a bit of a chore to explore/return to earlier parts of the level

@Kurashiki FYI i asked about extra textures and was told no. I started playing your map and died without saving after about 100 monsters so will have to go back to it... it's looong. I did like the rocket launcher as the main weapon early on though.

@MarketAnarchy a Sunder tribute map for E1 of a project like this...?

I might record some playthroughs for my own personal feedback of these new maps over the next couple of weeks would anyone find it useful? I can give better feedback in this way cause i have a lot of off-the-cuff thoughts when playing maps that invariably get lost in these written feedback posts.

I did actually PM an_mutt recently to remind him we're still here on Nova III but didn't hear back. Hope he didn't abandon us on this, he hasn't posted in this thread for months now :(

MEGIDDO III???

Right, i don't mind trying to co-ordinate this if it'll get things moving (however i don't want to be seen as self-appointing!). If you don't know what this is you should at least go play the first 2 Nova installments and see the first two Megiddo maps. But to explain, it's basically a big collab map with a hub, and then each mapper (5-6 mappers tops) designs a side area each (with some limits). If you are interested in contributing to that, let me know and i'll make a list of mappers involved and maybe we can start to get to work on it - cause i imagine it could take a while to put together. Does that sound any good?

Kurashiki said:

My Map is done. If anyone is interested in, pls try this! link is here.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g0njqk9boxt6xhr/novaiiikura_01.zip?dl=0
<!>load with n3txv1.2kuraedit.wad in its zip because I addded some textures that was animated.

↓ New screenshots ↓
http://puu.sh/u2grJ/a7d6545850.png
http://puu.sh/u2gMe/9042034f8d.png
http://puu.sh/u2gMt/128e53495c.png

Beautiful map. I recorded an FDA for whatever reason -- my mouse (pad) is applying a lot of friction lately, probably because it's really cold, so I can barely turn properly. So I played slowly and finished in 52:11 with 50% secrets. If you watch this I'd recommend frequent use of fast-forward.

The hallway trap at the fake red key bars, the one with the chaingunners, seemed disproportionately mean. I kind of expected something, but when a bunch of chaingunners open fire immediately it's hard to do much. It's a lot harsher than most of the map. That was the first near-death moment. (The second near-death moment was at the end but entirely my fault :D.)

There were a couple of encounters that reveal dangerous monsters behind the player while their attention is elsewhere. One had two arachnotrons and some chaingunners in a closet, and in the big chapel fight for the yellow key, apparently a cyberdemon appears behind where you hit the switch. In both cases I decided to stay put and was kind of lucky these monsters didn't shoot, because I had no idea they were even there at first. Part of why those reveals are surprising is in both cases, the area behind the player looks to be there purely for detailing. For example, I wouldn't expect this complicated thing to break apart (and contain a cyber :D). It's actually a shame that I missed the visual, I guess. Changing the location of the switch so that it faces this structure seems like a good idea -- the player will hear the mob of monsters start teleporting in behind them while also being aware that something will happen at the back of the room.

But yeah, cool stuff. Please keep making more maps. :)

scotty said:

Obake, i just played through your map, i quite liked it generally and think it would fit in well as an early map around 3-4ish, maybe with some changes though.

I managed 100% kills and 1/3 secrets (found the soulsphere), and left with maxed out ammo (except for rockets, had about 5 left).

Here's my thoughts/constructive criticism:
- i especially enjoyed the first half of the map, those cold stone hallways fit very nicely with the midi selected, it created a great atmosphere for me
- ammo very generous. TBH i felt that the PR was given too late in the level to be any real use. It would be better provided at the YK door trap (more on that trap below), although equally, i don't think the PR is really required in this map at all, it would not be missed by me anyway.
- an early armour would have been nice with all the gunners around, rather than waiting until halfway through the map. Equally some more health in the early areas would allow for more aggressive play, which would be a benefit here.
- the yellow key trap was a real difficulty spike, at least it felt that way as i arrived with low health and obviously just giving a green armour doesn't really remedy that. I feel a health pickup just before a trap like that would be pretty fair given the context of the rest of the map.
- Archies felt token and didn't really add anything imo
- it might be nice if some passageways open up as you get deep into the map, that allow for easier backtracking? I killed everything then went secret hunting, and found it a bit of a chore to explore/return to earlier parts of the level

Thanks for your awesome input!

I intended this to be a map for episode 2, but looking at your critiques, I agree it would feel right at home as an early map. I'm glad you mentioned the Archies as well. I actually had the Archie in the cubby with the light-amp glasses early on, as an optional obstacle should the player go for the glasses; the other Vile was put late into development. I agree neither are really necessary, so I'll replace them.

As for the PR, perhaps I could set it in one of the secrets, or not even have it at all, and put rockets in place of cells.

I didn't think backtracking was too bad in the map, though I can certainly make it easier. I especially like the idea of passageways opening up, as it fits the theme of the map.

Again, thank you so much for your input and criticisms. I'm ecstatic that you enjoyed it! :)

Hey chaps, apologies for my lack of posting in here over the last few months. I've been having to deal with a number of personal issues since before Christmas, all of which I've had no success in dealing with. A ton of things have gotten in my way lately, including schoolwork which I've fallen behind on due to aforementioned issues and a shitty cold I've had all month. All my time and energy is being spent on simply getting my life back in order at the moment, and I barely have time to do anything outside of that for the next few months because of Uni work. :c

So yeah, I'm really not in the best shape to continue managing the project at the moment. I've tried to ask around over the past couple weeks for a suitable replacement as project lead, but to no success so far. I'll be giving up the leadership role officially as of right now, as you guys deserve somebody more capable of keeping everything up to date and providing the feedback you all need. I'll still try and be around to provide help if it is necessary! I can either keep editing the OP of this thread with updates, or whoever takes over as project lead can post their own thread.

Again, I'm really sorry I've let things get to this point. I was really excited with the idea of managing this project and it's something I still wish I could do, but it's just not feasible for me at the moment.

scotty said:

I did actually PM an_mutt recently to remind him we're still here on Nova III but didn't hear back. Hope he didn't abandon us on this, he hasn't posted in this thread for months now :(

Lol, I didn't even know I had a PM until I saw this post a moment ago! Yeah, sorry about that.

Well, were I not a complete ponce; I would take the hole. But I'm a complete ponce surrounded by goddamn wizards.

So; I'd be interested; but I wouldn't be the right person for the job.