Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
an_mutt

NOVA III [LINK TO NEW THREAD IN OP]

I hope this project still has life in it yet as I'm just about ready with my map, or ready for some feedback I should say.

Anyway here's what I've come up with so far:

Spoiler

Didn't get to finish the map, too sleepy for such a hard level... Still, got to the fight in your third screenshot before giving up. (no demos because I died like half a dozen times to get there)

Ammo is a bit tough to come by, but I got just enough, though I don't know what I'd do if I didn't had found the berserk to punch the pinkies.

The lava-flooded library is HELL if you don't find the radiation suit. Forced damage floors are not something a newbie should use, at least not in such a big area. >_>

Got a few bugs to report though:

- In the very first door, you need to set the sides to lower unpegged, otherwise the SUPPORT3 texture rises along with the door. That looks quite a bit ugly.
- This imp is stuck in place:

- In the first area, you can go to both sides and press both buttons, leading to these two errors:

That could be fixable with some smart voodoo doll usage.

- Stuck imp

- These randomly bright walls looks ugly. The ceiling lighting is fixable with a Boom line action, Transfer Ceiling Brightness, but if you want to fix the walls you'll have to be more creative:

- The texture on these lifts is misaligned and there's a sky that doesn't work in the same room:

Finally, in the meat maze, there was one place where I could go through a middle texture and cause a rendering error. I think it was on the leftmost path. Forgot to screenshot it though.

Obsidian said:

Apologies for being out of the game for a while, BTW.

No problems dude I don't think I've been here for about a year! :P

Liking amok's screenshots, the big lava crosses make me nostalgic for when I was working on MAP27: Sensorium from the very first Nova a few years back.

Albertoni said:

Didn't get to finish the map, too sleepy for such a hard level...

Great stuff Albertoni, I've went through and addressed most of the bugs you found hopefully that was the majority of them, thanks for playing!

I do agree that I may have overlooked the lava library though as it is hard to emulate a new players experience when you already know the correct route, so I added a few stimpacks and even made the 'health bonus walkthrough' a bit more distinct to make it less frustrating.

I never found myself running too low on ammo personally but I added a few extra shells regardless.

Among other things I decorated some of the barer areas and ironed out some rough edges.

l]

Sorry for being apart for a long time. I'm still making this map slowly...
I don't set difficulty and coop things yet and still need to check some gimmicks.
But the layout is almost done.

Here's screenshots of my WIP.

I'll sign up for a Hell-themed map. This time, I'll really focus on making something that both looks good and plays well.

I might come back from hiatus as well to make some midis once my school stuff wraps up after the 16th.

Can I claim map slot number 2? Or the one closest to that slot if it is not possible. Temporary name is "The Rotten King".

e: I'm will call this map Dante Allegory.

Looking good, Kurashiki! The textures might be cleaned up for the third screenshot. I'm liking the detail, especially the yellow key fountain.

I am not really a fan of mixed red and green marble also known as "Christmas in Hell(tm)". Stick to either one I say, but what the screenshots show look good enough to compensate for that if you can get the gameplay right.

This reminds me that I need even more detail in my map.

Could I claim Map 05?

I've had an idea for a map mulling around my brain for about a year or so, and I think this would be the perfect place for it. If 5 is gone, 9 wouldn't be a bad slot for it either.

It won't be the longest or most epic thing in the world, but it should complement the other selection of maps nicely, which is hopefully exactly what you want in the middle of a megawad.

Last post was at 5 of December which means an_mutt probably won't be around for awhile. So whatever - here you go. Remember that this is a beta version and as I have never really released a map to the public before - like at all - all criticisms are welcome. I'm still working on the balance and such.

It is made for Boom(of course) but I had no clue about setting complevels until like twenty minutes ago when I realised that it probably isn't automatic. It is supposed to be made for complevel - 9 but who knows now if that will break something. :-P please tell me if it do !!

Glitches that I know of
1)In the second part with lava and lava-falls there is an HOM.

e: please record an .lmp if you play my map.

NeedHealth said:

e: please record an .lmp if you play my map.
http://www.filedropper.com/needhealthnova3map

Here's a skill 4 demo:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/camedg5stz1p7ku/NeedHealthNova3Map_fda_benjogami.lmp?dl=1

As you will see, I got pretty confused about what the switch after the red door did, but I eventually found it. I was half expecting that switch to be the exit switch anyhow, so that'd be an easy fix. Otherwise, I think the player should be able to hear the opening portal, or have some other nudge in the right direction. The closed portal itself isn't a great mental bookmark, because it just looks like a lot of the decoration.

Which, by the way, I think the decoration, lighting, and texture choices are all well done. The way the lava columns pierce into the lava floor is actually kinda neat. Some of the sharp angles on the ashwall leading up the red key looked a bit funny, might want to smooth those out. The midtexture fence on the lava bridge could use some sector posts at the ends, and maybe when they turn as well. But the bridge is pretty sticky to navigate as is, so beware of making it stickier.

On the gameplay side, I recommend putting the SSG down where the chaingun is, since the regular shotgun and chaingun are more appropriate for the opening area. Overall it was pretty easy, and nothing felt very threatening except the hitscanners, which is not necessarily a bad thing, and I was playing pretty carefully.

Thanks. I saw an sequence break among other things and I need to think of a way to make the exit more visible. But generally I'm toying with redesigning the bridge area and the red key area. I'll probably beef up the enemies a little but this is still supposed to be map02.

The RL is not decoration like the BFG in Hell Revealed. It is possible to get it but it involves a a slight switch hunt across the map.
The impaled bodies and shotgun guys in the cubby holes will switch places and multiply if you play the map at higher skill levels. Earlier versions had chaingunners instead of the shotgun guys... heh, hence the pillars.

Here's another FDA for you seeing as it's a short map. Having played every other map for this so far, it would fit well in perhaps map02 based on difficulty i'd say.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/45dftbzu87ap3kn/ScottyNHN3.lmp?dl=1

Generally i agree with what Benjogami says. You could simply signpost the exit to solve the navigation problem there but really the map is so small, it's not a major deal. I believe i gained access to the RL with that eye switch (?) but never even bothered to pick it up funnily enough. I did notice a couple of flats that didn't match up with surrounding areas, you can see me 'stare' at them towards the end of the demo.

Thanks-x2. There are exit signs but you'll probably need mouselook to see them....

I am aware with the fact that if the player is going to come to this map with both the SSG and the CG I'll have to find a middle way between not making it too easy on that end and too difficult for pistol only start on the other end.

Taking a look at stiffys map(where you get the chaingun and the super shotgun) and seeing no revenants I saw it fitting to introduce them first as a "miniboss" in "a cage" and then free roaming.

I also believe there is no rocket launcher in his(?) map but I'll have to check that. Okay checked. It will make a nice transitional effect though where you'll first see the RL in map02 but "can't get to it" until the couple of maps afterwards. But I can't decide what others decides to do with their map.

Here are more demos if you want. I included an FDA, a max in 1:34 and a max in 1:26.

They said it was small/easy so I went for aggressive play in my FDA. Really works for that imo, and I think the core gameplay (weapons, enemy placements) doesn't really have any problems. I wouldn't worry too much about difficulty here -- if SG/CG were the only weapons it would still be a pretty easy map, but it would probably be boring too. In fact it would arguably be a less dangerous map to most people with only the lowest tier weapons: early on, the SSG encourages aggressive play instead of the safe camping that is available; and later on, the chaingun is better than the SSG against the chaingunners anyway.

The second secret that contains nothing but a fourpack of shells and a single rocket isn't of much utility. It also has me wondering why the rocket launcher, which is the closest thing to a puzzle in the map, isn't secret. :D In the way of visuals, I noticed a bunch of misalignments and stuff.

I was going to design a Hell map, but it's turned into a cavern/cave map. I am getting close to having it playable.

Soldier993 said:

May I sign in? Map 02 slot would do the trick for me.

Game configuration in Doom Builder is Boom, right?

Correct. To test your map, set ZDoom to Boom (Strict) in the compatibility options (not Doom (strict)), or preferably get prboom.

Also, there's no guarantees you'll make map02, the maps will more or less be ranked by difficulty.

Albertoni said:

Correct. To test your map, set ZDoom to Boom (Strict) in the compatibility options (not Doom (strict)), or preferably get prboom.

Also, there's no guarantees you'll make map02, the maps will more or less be ranked by difficulty.

My bad. I meant I'll pick up one slot.

And thanks for the additional info.

The new layout of the second area. Subject to change. Also the chaingun.

rdwpa - Thanks ! I'll take a look at your .lmp when I have time.

e: It is strange, but I distinctly remember reading an_mutt saying "It is up to each of the mappers to playtest the map to fit the mapslot." and it gave me the impression that my mapslot 2 would not change, but now I can't find the post where an-mutt wrote that.

It doesn't matter that much if I dreamed it -- it just makes the task of balancing easier if I did.

You may want to upload your map to another site NeedHealth I've been trying to access it all day to try your map!

The site is back up now so I did manage to finally get it and thankfully it was worth the wait. Like others have already mentioned I think you've done a good job with the texturing throughout and even in such a small map you've managed to evoke a sense of progression with the texture transitions from the gothic black to gothic marble to the red brick. Same with the lighting and detailing aside from a few misaligned textures, overall the map looks fine.

Gameplay felt fairly easy to me but I understand you're intending this to be map02 so that's fair but here's a few of my thoughts through the level:

Spoiler

-Firstly the shotgun placements feels redundant, for pistol start I'm just going to run to the SSG so why not just have like 12 shells around the SSG instead or as Benjogami suggests have the SSG appear further down?

-I'd raise the RL up a few units perhaps just so the player can see it over the pinkie's head, might be a nice effect

-One of the revenants clips on top of the lava waterfall as its lowering

-Now the biggest problem I had with your map was these things:

No doom player is going to see these and think that there isn't a archvile or whatever within! At first I thought the nearby switch would release these mystery monsters and even the window seems to suggest that, but I have to say I was surprised to the point where I clipped inside to double-check when nothing happened. (Obviously there's no requirement to have monsters in there but a lot of players will think so initially so use that to your advantage!)

-Again, as others have said I also got lost looking for the exit and I had even looked directly at it while hiding from the rev rockets earlier in the level. You could put some DOORRED bars or even a single DOORRED2 pillar, allowing the player to more clearly see the teleport and make a mental note of the red barrier for later.

-Otherwise you could have those monster closet lookin' structures I mentioned above actually contain monsters which would draw the player to the exit area.

-I'd personally change those two hellknights near the green armour to revenants just for a more intense fight

-At the lava bridge section it is possible to fit along the right wall where the imp is initially standing (I think you're aware of this because of the placement of the stimpacks) and I feel the release of the 4 pinkies looks better as you come off the bridge rather than this side path, it also bypasses the lost souls rising out of the lava completely which is a good effect and shouldn't be skipped

-The final trap did catch me off guard and it works well in a map of this size but with the nearby pillars it does come off as an easy encounter. Maybe I'm just a mean mapper but I'd love to see an archvile there, its unlikely that any of the monsters will have died near the trap and considering the player has the SSG and those large pillars nearby it wouldn't be too cruel and also the archvile wakeup sound works great in a trap like that.

Great map overall NeedHealth there wasn't anything that I disliked, I'm looking forward to the finished product.

Thanks a lot. The map has come along way since the version that is posted here. Were I unemployed I could have had it out by the day after tomorrow. I am not. There should be a screenshot above your post showing the new red key area - but without details added to the locations.

Some of what you mentioned are actually already changed, to the better I hope - yet:
I actually had no clue that people expected to find monsters inside the pillars by the revenant pool - guess I'll have to change that, and the RL.

I'll also think about switching the hell knights and revenants around.
.. and I have actually made the red key door trap even more scarier. The funny part is that the wall hiding the secret compartment is of a higher light level. I was expecting people to notice that and think "secret!" but nobody testing the map has mentioned it yet though. Maybe it is my monitor but it was a way to take the edge of the encounter.

e:

e2: I think I'm running into errors with doombuilder. Basically it boils down to that it can't handle my awesome mapping skills. No really! Way to many linedefs.

Hi,
I'm pretty interested to contribute a map. As far as I read, I don't have to apply for the job, just submit a map?

Also, can anyone submit more than one map? I'd love to do a jungle/swamp themed map, but the moon also sounds interesting.

A final question - what mapping format should I use? I only did standart Doom map format for now, I didn't look very much in the advanced formats like ZDoom or Hexen etc. yet, because stuff seems to be way more complex.

Maybe all this stuff already got answered in this thread, but I'm at work right now and can't read all 15 pages (but I WILL do when I get home later)