Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JXC

What would you like to see in my first Doom Wad

What do you want?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want?

• New monsters and bosses
    • Doom 2 Monsters (plus at least one new enemy or boss)

For my upcoming Was, which is a Boom(MBF)-Compatible full replacement for Ultimate Doom, I am going to create new monsters replacing the Spectre(?), Dead Lost Soul, and dead monsters. Would you like to see completely new monsters or Doom 2 Monsters (excluding Bossbrain, SS, Keen, and perhaps Pain Elemental)? I might finish the WAD during college, as I have lots of school work to do. I also need to learn Pixel Art and MilkyTracker.

You don't want to go too big with your first WAD, just start small, a few custom enemies here and there. Remember, always focus on design, quality over quantity.

The problem is, custom bex monsters would be cool, but no one has seen Doom 2 monsters in an Ultimate Doom WAD. I actually prefer Ultimate Doom over Doom 2 because of how the game is divided into episodes.

I agree with Netherstorm - focus on creating some smaller WADs without all the fancy custom monsters and shizz first, this will allow you to gain feedback on what to improve. Once you're more experienced, you will have a far better knowledge of what makes a good WAD, and will be able to apply it to your dream project. I often find that speedmapping helps me come up with new ideas, maybe you might want to try that?

Also, I don't really like custom monsters. Even the ones in Valiant I wasn't too fond of :P

As someone also just starting out here, I'd say do what you want in terms of size of the project. I think ambition adds to the journey here.

Are you saying you're working on levels and new monsters or just new monsters? Either way I'd be curious to see what you come up with.

Completely new monsters would be cool to me provided they fit the theme and style of the doom/doom2 monsters artistically. I mean new content in general would be cool, I've just always wished Id had put more monsters/weapons into doom.

There are a few important things:
1) Have fun. Don't let stress overtake your mapping.
2) Playtest your maps heavily, over and over again. Fix all glitches and any other potential problems. Be careful with texture use.
3) Most important, LISTEN TO THE CRITICS! They are there to help you refine and improve your skills. I would be no better a mapper today if people had not taken the time to give me criticisms.