Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Egg Boy

First Wad: "Sacreligion" (WIP)

Yo! I'm new here. So new, in fact, that I've only made 4 maps thus far (3 of which went unfinished) Anyway, with this map I hope to start a multi-map wad entitled "sacreligion." (corny, I know) I'm interested in what you guys think, though. Feedback will be very much appreciated, thanks.

EDIT: Ah.... last update was a complete fuck up. I managed to misplace teleports (no it wasn't your source port, I'm just a moron.) It doesn't matter now, most of
it is fixed. I hope this playthru is more enjoyable than the last, sorry.

Try it out: http://www.mediafire.com/download/x7bt9haegrj7tj3/Sacreligion.wad

This is good. It was short, but the detail was great for a first map (sort of) wad. Some of my first maps were extremely sloppy with textures, layouts, everything.

I'd say for your future maps, try to implement a bit of non-linearity, and improve on making your maps more detailed. Also, try adding some custom music too.

Fun little map, I'm quite interested in seeing how the rest of this goes. This isn't something I'd replay often but I think this'll work better as part of a mapset, this definitely feels like a MAP01.

Some problems I found:

The teleporter near the super shotgun doesn't work.

And the bloodfalls doesn't have side textures... Am I missing a secret or was this unintentional?

Can't wait to see what you turn this into (if anything). Will definitely tune into this thread.

Netherstorm said:

This is good. It was short, but the detail was great for a first map (sort of) wad. Some of my first maps were extremely sloppy with textures, layouts, everything.

I'd say for your future maps, try to implement a bit of non-linearity, and improve on making your maps more detailed. Also, try adding some custom music too.

Thanks man. I draw sometimes so maybe that contributes(?) I'm definitely going to try the music thing. I'm trying to figure out a doom-y tune at the moment. On non-linearity: I was thinking of putting a few different paths in this map but decided against it because I didn't think I could handle it, I'll try it in the second map. Thanks for the compliments.

AwesomeO-789 said:

Fun little map, I'm quite interested in seeing how the rest of this goes. This isn't something I'd replay often but I think this'll work better as part of a mapset, this definitely feels like a MAP01.

Some problems I found:

The teleporter near the super shotgun doesn't work.
http://i.imgur.com/mMGk42A.jpg

And the bloodfalls doesn't have side textures... Am I missing a secret or was this unintentional?
http://i.imgur.com/xHJXSOv.png

Can't wait to see what you turn this into (if anything). Will definitely tune into this thread.

the teleport issue might be due to the linedef not being flipped. normally if you run to the end you'll teleport but I'll fix it. The blood falls things was intentional but maybe I'll change it. Thanks for the help. I'll try to make more memorable maps in the future.

Hey, not bad at all for a first map, certainly better than my first maps. I think you misplaced these mid-textures though:

Your detailing is fine, I would focus on making more intricate heights. Start by putting an upper ledge in a room, then figure out a creative way from getting from the lower sector to the higher one (avoiding things like stairs or lifts in the same room). Making a hall that leads to another room that then contains a way up to the next level that leads back to the original room is a basic concept of this. Doing this allows the map to immediately feel more interconnected, gives a sense of forewarning and can allow for more creative monster placement (avoiding the "one enemy per room" problem). Doing this multiple times throughout the map makes for some great gameplay and sense of place.

Good luck!

I like this! Short and simple, and the map is pretty good for being a first attempt. My favorite part was this bit here:

The architecture is really nice.

However, one criticism I have is that the difficulty wasn't really there. I understand that this is supposed to be the first map in a series of maps, so it really shouldn't be too difficult to begin with. But at no point did I feel threatened, not even up against some of the higher-tier monsters.
For example, the cacodemon 'ambush' after you grab the blue key poses no threat whatsoever, because it's just one of them and he can easily be stunlocked using the chaingun until he's dead; he poses no challenge to the player and ultimately serves no point aside from temporarily delaying the player's progress (unless they decide to run right past him).

Overall a decent map, and I'd like to see where it goes.

Makazi said:

I like this! Short and simple, and the map is pretty good for being a first attempt. My favorite part was this bit here:

http://puu.sh/mAmO9/b2e0a06691.png
The architecture is really nice.

However, one criticism I have is that the difficulty wasn't really there. I understand that this is supposed to be the first map in a series of maps, so it really shouldn't be too difficult to begin with. But at no point did I feel threatened, not even up against some of the higher-tier monsters.
For example, the cacodemon 'ambush' after you grab the blue key poses no threat whatsoever, because it's just one of them and he can easily be stunlocked using the chaingun until he's dead; he poses no challenge to the player and ultimately serves no point aside from temporarily delaying the player's progress (unless they decide to run right past him).

Overall a decent map, and I'd like to see where it goes.

Yeah maybe that Cacodemon should be replaced or at the very least bring some spectres along with him. I don't know, I like having the player prepared for battles, maybe a little too prepared. I'm sure to change the cacodemon thing but I'm not sure what I can do about the map as a whole. Thanks man, a second version should be out soon with a WIP of the second map.

Lo_Mein said:

Yeah maybe that Cacodemon should be replaced or at the very least bring some spectres along with him. I don't know, I like having the player prepared for battles, maybe a little too prepared. I'm sure to change the cacodemon thing but I'm not sure what I can do about the map as a whole. Thanks man, a second version should be out soon with a WIP of the second map.

One potential scenario I imagined was having two cacodemons ambush the player in the same room that they grab the key in. It's a confined space, so it would be difficult to maneuver. The player might run for the door, but instead of a cacodemon where he currently is, the hall could have some pinkies drive the player back towards the cacodemons. Here's a quick illustration:

Don't know if that would work. You'll have to experiment to see what works best for your map. Good luck. :)

New version, a few improvements to map 01 (grand entrance) and the addition of an unfinished map - map 02 (grindhouse) stay tuned for screenshots and more updates, have fun.

Also help with the second map would be appreciated. (I'm not sure how to end this damn thing!)

Quick Fix: Those midtextures still clip into the floor from one side. An easy way to fix this problem is to create a sector which uses that line, and adjust its brightness by at least 1. Check it out: http://imgur.com/a/CWz9k. The sector doesn't have to be as large as the one I made, it can be as small as you want it to be - I only made it that large so you could see what was going on. I made that sectors brightness 143 in contrast to its surrounding 144.

tomocean22 said:

Quick Fix: Those midtextures still clip into the floor from one side. An easy way to fix this problem is to create a sector which uses that line, and adjust its brightness by at least 1. Check it out: http://imgur.com/a/CWz9k. The sector doesn't have to be as large as the one I made, it can be as small as you want it to be - I only made it that large so you could see what was going on. I made that sectors brightness 143 in contrast to its surrounding 144.

Thanks, man. While I didn't spot this issue in the source port I use, the map should be functional on all ports or even dos.

Hiya, I really wanna try the new version you uploaded but that portal and the key teleport don't work. I think this is a compatibility issue. First time I tried using GzDoom and it didn't work, same for Zandronum. I went ahead and downloaded PrBoom+ and it still didn't work. Which source port did you use for testing? Thanks.

Not bad, not bad. Still not too difficult, but I like how map two is coming along so far. There's some errors I ran into while playing (images below):

Spoiler

I was able to walk through the bars here.

Once I tried to head back the lift (I'm presuming it was a lift) wouldn't work, so I was essentially trapped down there and had to noclip out.

The first time in this room is cool, running through it and picking up the powerups and teleporting out. However, if you teleport in a second time, the teleporter at the end of the hall isn't a repeatable action; again, I had to noclip out of the area.

Now that the conspicuous errors are out of the way, I'll talk about a couple of thoughts I had while playing.

Firstly, this room here:

If you expand its size, it has decent potential to be an arena-type area with monsters trying to swarm the player.

Secondly, the way this window opens when you walk up was a little confusing:

I thought it was a way out of the room, and then I realised that it's just a window I can't go through. It might work better if it's just open by default (and maybe with some bar textures in the middle) so there's no confusion.

That's all for now. Keep up the good work! :)

AwesomeO-789 said:

Hiya, I really wanna try the new version you uploaded but that portal and the key teleport don't work. I think this is a compatibility issue. First time I tried using GzDoom and it didn't work, same for Zandronum. I went ahead and downloaded PrBoom+ and it still didn't work. Which source port did you use for testing? Thanks.

I don't think it's a compatibility issue so much as a problem with the map itself. Hopefully we'll hear back from the author about it soon. :)

Makazi said:

I don't think it's a compatibility issue so much as a problem with the map itself. Hopefully we'll hear back from the author about it soon. :)

May I ask what source port you were using when you played?

AwesomeO-789 said:

Zandronum, but as far as I know most maps work with it. From what I can see in GZDoom Builder, it appears the linedefs on the portals are flipped the wrong way. Try walking at it from a different angle.

AwesomeO-789 said:

It all worked fine for me, however the thing about the key is you have to run past the teleport completely because I didn't use the middle, I made the last line a teleport. I'm a moron. Sorry, I'll fix it, I use gzdoom, so I'll be sure to get it fixed. Thanks for the feedback. Sometimes it's hard to do that sort of thing when you built the map and just know from mapping it to run to the end of the teleporting platform.

Lo_Mein said:

It all worked fine for me, however the thing about the key is you have to run past the teleport completely because I didn't use the middle, I made the last line a teleport. I'm a moron. Sorry, I'll fix it, I use gzdoom, so I'll be sure to get it fixed. Thanks for the feedback. Sometimes it's hard to do that sort of thing when you built the map and just know from mapping it to run to the end of the teleporting platform.

No no, I'll try again. No need to fix it. This seems like an excellent map so I'd quite like to play it the proper way. I'll see if doing what you said works; though it didn't seem to when I tried. I know it can be pretty shitty having to go back and fix something as simple as a teleport just because ONE player had an issue with it.

It was quite fun. I found these things:
-the steps of the stairs to get out from the SSG area are marked as secret, same for the room you get after you take the teleport (sectors 94 and 98)
-sector 78 is damaging
-the teleport at the yellow key is missing the destination thing, you are stuck in that area

Lo_Mein said:

While I didn't spot this issue in the source port I use, the map should be functional on all ports or even dos.

I use gzdoom

If you really want to see if the map is actually vanilla compatible you should test it with Chocolate-Doom. Also in what format are you making the maps?

AwesomeO-789 said:

No no, I'll try again. No need to fix it. This seems like an excellent map so I'd quite like to play it the proper way. I'll see if doing what you said works; though it didn't seem to when I tried. I know it can be pretty shitty having to go back and fix something as simple as a teleport just because ONE player had an issue with it.

Hey, man. I'm getting that shit fixed right now. There should be no reason why it doesn't work and I'm going to update it immediately if you find more problems, tell me. I want this map to be as functional as possible.

Huh, so I downloaded from your last link, I tried loading it with Doom and Doom 2, I didn't see anything come up...do you have to do anything special to load it?

Doom Builder 2 can't open it either, I was going to try to reprocess it on my end and see if I could get it to work some other way, but no dice.

volumetricsteve said:

Huh, so I downloaded from your last link, I tried loading it with Doom and Doom 2, I didn't see anything come up...do you have to do anything special to load it?

Doom Builder 2 can't open it either, I was going to try to reprocess it on my end and see if I could get it to work some other way, but no dice.

The latest link? Is there an issue with it? what do you use? did you try drag and dropping? how are you trying to load it?

volumetricsteve said:

I just tested it, I use GZDoom and the mod loader when I'm not making a map. Both worked. Are you running it through the ultimate doom? it's a doom 2 wad.

I tried drag and dropping, should starting a new game bring your level up or do you issue a "map NAME" command from the console?

What mod loader do you use?...I'll try again, maybe I'm doing something stupid

Edit:

to clarify, when I test my own maps, they register as doom2's first map, so I just "start a new game" and my map is the first one in the rotation. Does yours work that way?

Yeah, the maps are map01 and map02. I use EZDoom to load mods. I'm not sure why this isn't working. And since there are no other replies all I know is 1 in 2 people are having this problem. Have you redownloaded it? Not sure if that'll help.