Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Egg Boy

First Wad: "Sacreligion" (WIP)

OK THERE WE GO, I somehow managed to download half of a 222KB file in 2016. Go me.

So that was great, your sector placement looks good, use of light via sector is good, I like the item placement...the thing you do with the switches to progress through the first level might need to be fleshed out about or varied somehow, but it was still fun. I think someone else reported that the teleporter in that first secret room doesn't work. I think you know the red door and big wooden door in the second level don't work since there's nothing behind them.

At times, it seemed like the monster count was kinda low, it was a little easy to breeze through at first, but I loved that part where you revisit the same hallway, walls come down and there's a hell knight and some pinkies waiting for you after you gifted us with the rocket launcher. That was a nice touch.

I think a lot of people over-do the visual appeal of their doom maps, I like that yours is more on par with the early doom 1 maps, there doesn't need to be crap going on everywhere for it to be good....and what visual candy you did throw in worked well, especially in the secret rooms.

Really, really nice work, I'm excited to see where this leads...

volumetricsteve said:

OK THERE WE GO, I somehow managed to download half of a 222KB file in 2016. Go me.

So that was great, your sector placement looks good, use of light via sector is good, I like the item placement...the thing you do with the switches to progress through the first level might need to be fleshed out about or varied somehow, but it was still fun. I think someone else reported that the teleporter in that first secret room doesn't work. I think you know the red door and big wooden door in the second level don't work since there's nothing behind them.

At times, it seemed like the monster count was kinda low, it was a little easy to breeze through at first, but I loved that part where you revisit the same hallway, walls come down and there's a hell knight and some pinkies waiting for you after you gifted us with the rocket launcher. That was a nice touch.

I think a lot of people over-do the visual appeal of their doom maps, I like that yours is more on par with the early doom 1 maps, there doesn't need to be crap going on everywhere for it to be good....and what visual candy you did throw in worked well, especially in the secret rooms.

Really, really nice work, I'm excited to see where this leads...

Wow! I've received a lot of positive feed back, but that was the most positive I've seen. When you say teleporter in first secret do you mean Map01 or Map02? Map02's first secret is not a teleport and map01's should be fine, I'll check it out tomorrow.

Downloaded the newest version and it's coming along very nicely! Adding the outdoors area with the yellow key to map01 (I don't remember going out there in version 1 at least) was a nice touch and added some neat variety to the first map and I quite liked the choice of where to go at the beginning of map02. The trap coming back out into the dark room was pretty cool, classic Doom right there. Keep up the good work man! This is pretty damn impressive for your first map release!

Played it and it's coming along really good. I'm not sure what's going on, but the teleporter after the super shotgun in Map01 still isn't working for me. I tried it both on Zandronum and GZDoom. I even opened it up in GZDoom Builder and messed around with it for half an hour, and I'm practically tearing my hair out over this. I looked at the teleporter in Map02 that works just fine, and I looked at the teleporter in Map01, and it's set up pretty much the exact same way.

So after some messing around I discovered that the sector that the teleporter is on is tag 8, which is incidentally the sector that the lines are supposed to teleport you to.

So I was like "A ha! The game doesn't know what to do because the teleporter is trying to teleport to itself!" So I removed the sector tag on the teleporter, and...well, it still didn't work.

So I figured "Okay, maybe it's because there's two sector 8s and the game doesn't know which one to teleport to.", so I made it so that there's only one, and it still didn't work. I then noticed that Map02 had a teleport destination thing, and I checked Map01 and the teleport destination was present.
I also tried deleting the whole teleporter and rebuilding it from scratch, mimicking the Map02 one perfectly, and it still doesn't work

So I don't know what's going on here, but I'm going to resign from trying to figure it out. Does the teleporter work for you, by any chance?

Not sure about the OP but I definitely know that the teleporter doesn't work for me on any of the source ports I've tried. I too tried fixing it myself in GZ DoomBuilder but I couldn't seem to find the problem. I just thought it was due to my inexperience with vanilla compatible formats. Maybe having stairs that go back up to the previous room as opposed to a teleporter would be better?

AwesomeO-789 said:

Not sure about the OP but I definitely know that the teleporter doesn't work for me on any of the source ports I've tried. I too tried fixing it myself in GZ DoomBuilder but I couldn't seem to find the problem. I just thought it was due to my inexperience with vanilla compatible formats. Maybe having stairs that go back up to the previous room as opposed to a teleporter would be better?

If it came down to it, I think that would be a viable alternative--but then they would have to create some other way into the secret room that the teleporter is supposed to go to.

Makazi said:

If it came down to it, I think that would be a viable alternative--but then they would have to create some other way into the secret room that the teleporter is supposed to go to.

Perhaps instead of a teleporter use a switch with the teleport action? That's a thing in Boom format right? Might work then by some miracle.

AwesomeO-789 said:

Perhaps instead of a teleporter use a switch with the teleport action? That's a thing in Boom format right?

Yeah, it is. I just tried putting the action on the panel behind the teleporter, but it still isn't working. I wonder if it's something to do with the sector itself? Something really weird is going on here.

Makazi said:

Yeah, it is. I just tried putting the action on the panel behind the teleporter, but it still isn't working. I wonder if it's something to do with the sector itself? Something really weird is going on here.

....SACRILEGE?

Makazi said:

Played it and it's coming along really good. I'm not sure what's going on, but the teleporter after the super shotgun in Map01 still isn't working for me. I tried it both on Zandronum and GZDoom. I even opened it up in GZDoom Builder and messed around with it for half an hour, and I'm practically tearing my hair out over this. I looked at the teleporter in Map02 that works just fine, and I looked at the teleporter in Map01, and it's set up pretty much the exact same way.

So after some messing around I discovered that the sector that the teleporter is on is tag 8, which is incidentally the sector that the lines are supposed to teleport you to.
http://puu.sh/mDO94/a19a3cc54d.jpg
So I was like "A ha! The game doesn't know what to do because the teleporter is trying to teleport to itself!" So I removed the sector tag on the teleporter, and...well, it still didn't work.

So I figured "Okay, maybe it's because there's two sector 8s and the game doesn't know which one to teleport to.", so I made it so that there's only one, and it still didn't work. I then noticed that Map02 had a teleport destination thing, and I checked Map01 and the teleport destination was present.
I also tried deleting the whole teleporter and rebuilding it from scratch, mimicking the Map02 one perfectly, and it still doesn't work

So I don't know what's going on here, but I'm going to resign from trying to figure it out. Does the teleporter work for you, by any chance?

the teleporter does, actually, work for me. So I'm not sure what's going on but I'm going to try to get this fixed, don't worry.

Lo_Mein said:

the teleporter does, actually, work for me. So I'm not sure what's going on but I'm going to try to get this fixed, don't worry.

What source port are you using, and which version specifically?

GZDoom. And the version isn't specified as far as I can tell, but I also use EZ doom which I've run it through as well. (I think it uses gzdoom as a base)

Lo_Mein said:

GZDoom. And the version isn't specified as far as I can tell, but I also use EZ doom which I've run it through as well. (I think it uses gzdoom as a base)

Huh, odd. I've tried GZDoom 2.1 pre-1159, 2.1 pre-1666, and even my old 1-8-02. For Zandronum, I've tried 2.1.2 and the development build of 3.0. The teleporter didn't work in any of them.

I'll throw in for this as well, now that I've got the working wad file...I'll see if I can fix the teleporter myself.

I don't know if it's related, but my editor has done some weird things where I saved in a map and tried to test it, and the changes didn't show up. Eventually, I ended up saving into a new file, and loaded that..and it worked fine. This can't be the same thing, but it's funny how strangeness-prone these tools can be.

I wonder if there are development codes for gzdoom or...any engine really that track sectors or output linedef actions to a console, things like that....

volumetricsteve said:

I'll throw in for this as well, now that I've got the working wad file...I'll see if I can fix the teleporter myself.

I don't know if it's related, but my editor has done some weird things where I saved in a map and tried to test it, and the changes didn't show up. Eventually, I ended up saving into a new file, and loaded that..and it worked fine. This can't be the same thing, but it's funny how strangeness-prone these tools can be.

I wonder if there are development codes for gzdoom or...any engine really that track sectors or output linedef actions to a console, things like that....

Try this http://www.mediafire.com/download/x7bt9haegrj7tj3/Sacreligion.wad

I did, I see your new rooms in map 2...but that first teleporter is still busted.

Very strange. Where is it supposed to take you?

Edit:

Right off the bat, I see this:

I'm betting that sector split in the middle of the Teleporter pad isn't supposed to be there, I'm guessing it's not doing you any favors.

Tinkering continues...

Edit Edit:

Looking at this:
http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Making_a_teleporter

I see the need for a teleport sector, and a teleport entity within that sector. I was not able to find a teleport sector or entity in your map, so I made my own.

Teleporter works fine for me now.

volumetricsteve said:

I did, I see your new rooms in map 2...but that first teleporter is still busted.

Very strange. Where is it supposed to take you?

Edit:

Right off the bat, I see this:

http://i.imgur.com/SBY3QdU.jpg

I'm betting that sector split in the middle of the Teleporter pad isn't supposed to be there, I'm guessing it's not doing you any favors.

Tinkering continues...

Edit Edit:

Looking at this:
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Making_a_teleporter

I see the need for a teleport sector, and a teleport entity within that sector. I was not able to find a teleport sector or entity in your map, so I made my own.

Teleporter works fine for me now.

the line was an attempt to fix it and it worked fine for me. there is a teleport exit and the line has the same sector tag as where the exit is. I'm really confused as to why it wont work for you. I'll make it from scratch using that page, but I made it the same way I did any other teleport.

Hey guys, sorry it's been a while. Snow happened and school happened and shit happened. That's no excuse but I hope you'll consider it. Currently I've been playing Final Doom and I'm going about a complete overhaul of maps 01 and 02, this includes: nicer geometry, better layout, and all difficulties. It may be a while before you hear from me again, but expect map01 redux within the next week or so.

Hey guys, small update. I'm not sure this map pack is going to continue. I think I need a bit more practice making maps before I work on this again. I Really want Sacreligion to be like a magnum opus type thing (the name is too good to waste on a shitty first wad) so I think you'll see a few new stuff from me around the forum but don't expect anything here for a bit. (also I'm half way thru Map01's overhaul and if you want that I can provide it)