Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ABRACADABRA

Global feature request list

I just thought, there is really many features that can be built almost in every port, so why just not make a list for ideas that can be implemented anywhere?
I'll start it

1) Map author. The feature I've seen in the first Unreal - at the beginning of every level youu can see level name and name of the author. this is really cool, especially when you play megawads made by a lot of mappers. sometimes I really want to know, who made that masterpiece or who is guilty for compiling that piece of shit.

This can be achieved with many relativily easy ways - from putting a simple txt-list in the wad to making a complete automated idgames database list or even adding a string to map format - each of this have it's own pros and cons

2) auto-initializing and auto-integration of megawads. what I mean is a feature, that will add megawads to the "wisch episode?" list - like NRFTL. imagine - you put a wad in your pwads folder and run the game. that's it - the game will recognize it and will add an option to play it straight from the menu. yes, i is very complicated, especially with dehacked and other custom lumps, but there is an easy way - after choosing an episode, a game processing a soft reset and load required files

3) support for quake-like fullbright pixels. this feature looks nicely in doom retro with computer terminals, would be cool to see it more in other ports. sorry, if it's alredy everywhere and I'm the only who didn't know about that

ps: my english is awful

edit

well, here is some things I'll be pleased by too, but they are gameplay changing:

-being not able to pick up armor and health bonuses when full - very annoying waste of resources

-make spectress invisible to monsters so they will try to shoot through - I didn't tried this myself, but seems like funny idea

-make pinkys and spectres not useless - speed up their biting animation

ABRACADABRA said:

1) Map author. The feature I've seen in the first Unreal - at the beginning of every level youu can see level name and name of the author. this is really cool, especially when you play megawads made by a lot of mappers. sometimes I really want to know, who made that masterpiece or who is guilty for compiling that piece of shit.

This already exists in some source ports.

ABRACADABRA said:

2) auto-initializing and auto-integration of megawads. what I mean is a feature, that will add megawads to the "wisch episode?" list - like NRFTL. imagine - you put a wad in your pwads folder and run the game. that's it - the game will recognize it and will add an option to play it straight from the menu. yes, i is very complicated, especially with dehacked and other custom lumps, but there is an easy way - after choosing an episode, a game processing a soft reset and load required files

The whole "soft reset" thing is still quite a complicated thing to do, you know?

ABRACADABRA said:

-make spectress invisible to monsters so they will try to shoot through - I didn't tried this myself, but seems like funny idea

This is basically already the case, monsters don't care if they have friends blocking their line of fire. That's why you can set up infighting scenario so easily.

ABRACADABRA said:

-being not able to pick up armor and health bonuses when full - very annoying waste of resources

But then it would eliminate the purpose of getting 100% items in a map.

ABRACADABRA said:

Doomsday has been working on an in engine UI for the last few releases that does this far more elegantly; it allows you to switch between Doom, Heretic, HeXen etc in engine with a few button presses. You can download the latest stable or unstable release to view the current progress on this UI.

Trivia: Doomsday has actually had in engine pwad loading for well over a decade, via it's console.

ABRACADABRA said:

HavoX said:

What about a pickup toggle button that the player could use to enable or disable picking up wasteful resources at any time? Perhaps separate buttons for ammo, health, armor and powerups. Each toggle would have 3 modes: Pick everything, pick nothing, and pick only if no waste would be invoked.

HavoX said:

the thing is, I'm almost 100% sure that this is just an oversight since in earlier versions you can easily go over 200 armor with no vivid limit.

The whole "soft reset" thing is still quite a complicated thing to do, you know?

yeah, I know.

This is basically already the case, monsters don't care if they have friends blocking their line of fire. That's why you can set up infighting scenario so easily.

this is still prevents lost souls to fly through their bodys

ABRACADABRA said:

3) support for quake-like fullbright pixels.

I don't see why an equivalent to continuous brightmaps for a software renderer (with each pixel on a sliding-scale between fullbright or not) shouldn't be possible to do. I wonder what is it that I'm missing that there is apparently no standard implementation for that kind of thing yet.

ABRACADABRA said:

3) support for quake-like fullbright pixels. this feature looks nicely in doom retro with computer terminals, would be cool to see it more in other ports.

It's a simple colormap effect. Technically, even vanilla Doom "supports" it, although actually using it in the game requires reworking a lot of graphical assets with careful palette tweaks.

Strife uses it "officially". Doom Retro does things differently and allows any color to be fullbright on a given texture.

I hope it's better now.

Speaking about your post, I'm not sure I understand it correctly. Are you talking about a full software analogue of the brightmaps used with hardware-accelerated engines?

By ingame-observable effect, yes. Assume that the engine has already associated a given brightmap image with a given graphic, and now the game is running and the engine is about to render the graphic's individual pixels. In standard brightmaps, black means to display the respective pixel's brightness according to local sector lighting, white means to display the respective pixel always fullbright, and grey means to compute a compromise ratio between the former options according to shade of the grey-ness. In software renderer, it would be analogous - black would mean to use colormap depth according to local sector lighting and light diminishing (=normally), white would mean to always use colormap depth 0 (=fullbright version of the palette index), and grey would mean to compute a colormap depth between depth 0 and depth determined by local sector lighting and light diminishing according to shade of the grey-ness.