Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FractalXX

[RELEASED] Gridlock - A community project (maps aligned to the 64 units grid)

JuWmCAY.png
Welcome.

This project's aim was to create maps solely on the 64 units grid (or bigger, smaller wasn't allowed). It took nearly 2 years to complete the project and get it to reach a state, where I can surely say that it's ready for a release. The mappers did a great job, some of them even helped in compiling the project. Credits, download down below.

If anyone still finds any bugs or spots a vertex which is not on the grid, please report it here. By the time of this writing, most of them should be fixed, though.

Maps:
------- TECH -------
MAP01: Retrofit by Royal_Sir
MAP02: Pillar64 by Cyanide
MAP03: Overgrowth by Nevander
MAP04: Stiff by Tactical_Stiffy
MAP05: Europa Facility by Voltcom9
MAP06: Phantasm by FractalXX
MAP07: Middleway by joe_ilya
MAP08: Pinball by sudo459
MAP09: Survive! by Deadwing
----- STONE/MISC -----
MAP10: The Lost Tower by walter confalonieri
MAP11: Old Town by Cyberia-mix
MAP12: Nazi-Festung by GregLafitte
MAP13: Marble Backlash by SassyPaddy
MAP14: GothRock by Pinchy
MAP15: Sheev Wheej by Pinchy
MAP16: Castle of Atlantis by Ninehills42
------- HELL -------
MAP17: Hellkeep by Empyre
MAP18: Crimson Castle by TheNerdTurtle
MAP19: Blood Lake Penitentiary by bioshockfan90
MAP20: IN PROGRESS by BeeWen
MAP21: Through & Around by The_SloVinator
MAP22: Trials of Iniquity by Nevander
MAP23: Blood Cathedral by doom2day
MAP24: Temple of Despair by Martian Doomer
MAP25: Exit Wound by BeeWen
MAP26: Bladerunner by BeeWen
MAP27: 64 ways 2 die by Saint_Guy
MAP28: Tower of Hope by Ninehills42
MAP29: The show most go on by Ninehills42
MAP30: The Master by Beed28
MAP31: Monochrome Mood by Xabika2202
MAP32: Dinosaur Foot by Martian Doomer

Dehacked patch: Beed28
CWILV graphics: Nevander, BeeWen, FractalXX (changes only)
Textures: The Community Chest 4 team
HUD: FractalXX
Menu graphics: FractalXX
Testing: The whole team

Changelog:

Spoiler

BIG UPDATE! (2016/07/13): First test version is out!
UPDATE (2016/07/14): Removed final boss from every map that accidentally had it, added new title and a basic titlepic (will have to change it, surely), added empty demos, so it doesn't crash in prBoom (thanks to Keyboard_Doomer).
UPDATE (2016/07/25): Merged wad with cc4-tex.wad, so the loading order won't cause any more problems.
UPDATE (2016/08/10): Added and rearranged some maps
UPDATE (2016/10/10): Added and rearranged some maps (again).
UPDATE (2016/10/14): Map updates, one new map.
UPDATE (2016/11/06): A whole new map order which focuses on difficulty and theme as well. Thanks to Cyberia-mix. Also updated some maps.
UPDATE (2017/05/28): Updated some maps, CWILVs.
UPDATE (2017/06/15): V3! Added the final secret map (MAP31), revamped the whole look of the wad. Updated some maps.
UPDATE (2017/06/20): V3.1: Music replacements, map updates, new title/intermission screens, lots of mess cleaned up.

UPDATE (2017/08/18): V4: Replaced Careless Infection with Uninvited Quests. Vertex fixes.

UPDATE (2017/12/22): V4.1: Fixed a bug on MAP20, updated Solider993's name (The_SloVinator).

UPDATE (2017/12/23): FIRST RELEASE!

idgames link: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/gridlk

Cheers.

Edited by FractalXX : Release

Superluigieth1 said:

Also, is it like Wolf3D with the orthogonal layout?

No, if it was like that, we'd do that in Wolf3D.
Non-orthogonal walls are allowed.

Interesting and "easy" concept, I could do something but don't be too sure about it...

I'll do some experimentation with the grid set to see if it's easy as I think...

/Every/ vertex? So, for example, I can't make any sectors inside a 64x64 sector? Given that we're allowed to place rogue vertices for wall detail, would you allow rogue sectors for floor and ceiling detail (textures only, no linedefs or height changes)?

I think the rules are bit vague (with the multiple vertices on one line under the 64 units for detailing) and the GZDB "alike" curves -thingie I don't really understand? Shouldn't it be just plain simple "Grid size to 64x64, all vertices/objects must snap to it" or something similar? I'm just confused as with the current ruleset, you're not really restricting anything that much. Sure, shapes of sectors can't be too "small-detailed", but that's about it.

I think the 64 grid restriction should be carried on fully. That is, ALL vertices on 64 grid (no exceptions), and non-orthogonal lines allowed. In gimmick-driven projects, any weird exceptions to the base rules are... well, weird, IMO.

I legitimately thought for a second that this was about maps where the playable area is 64x64.

With the curve tool exception, one can just fudge the rules and make a map entirely out of circles, since it'd technically fit the requirements.

I could take or leave the line-split exception; that one's less exploit-y though the end results might end up being a lot "cooler" if everything's truly 64-grid-only.

My two cents.

[EDIT] Heh, I thought the same thing as AD before reading the thread. :P

Whoa, a splash graphic. That means it's official. Anyway, I don't think I'd be able to contribute, but it's an interesting premise - if I understand it...

So, would something like this example be about right, according to these rules?

PS: I agree with scifista. Any time a gimmicky community project starts making exceptions, then it quickly goes off the rails. Hard rule should be no vertices closer than 64 units from each other. Period.
PPS: you should really soup up an example, so people know what to aim for.

I think the easy way for people to grasp the concept is just to say this: Vertices may only be placed on the 64x64 grid. The rogue vertices for wall detail - I think that's just gonna fudge up the rules and make the focus a bit too unclear. If you can have rogue vertices, where do you draw the line? I think it'd be more effective if the rule were hard and fast, but that's just my take.

That's the only restriction to my understanding, anyway. This is a cool project, I'm a bit bogged down at the moment but good luck with it! If I find enough free time before you're done, I'll probably hop in as well.

schwerpunk said:

Whoa, a splash graphic. That means it's official. Anyway, I don't think I'd be able to contribute, but it's an interesting premise - if I understand it...

So, would something like this example be about right, according to these rules?

PS: I agree with scifista. Any time a gimmicky community project starts making exceptions, then it quickly goes off the rails. Hard rule should be no vertices closer than 64 units from each other. Period.
PPS: you should really soup up an example, so people know what to aim for.

I was on the same opinion when I came out with the idea, but I thought the rough restriction would be a little bit too much.
Knowing that y'all think it should be a strict rule, I agree, so let it be.
I just wasn't sure.
But imo, orthogonal walls should be allowed. Sure, the length of the line won't be a multiplication of 64, but the grid accepts it. What matters, is the vertices.

Edit: What you've included is just about right.

Ooooh and here I thought you meant the maps could only have all their vertices within a 64x64 box...

I was just gonna make a sector with a single, non-impassable 1 sided line and have the exit switch blocked by a bar opened with a key out in the void with grey columns serving as the walls.

FuzzballFox said:

So vertices sit on the 64 grid, what about thing placement?

I would hope thing placement would not have to follow this rule, or if it must follow any rule, that thing placement could be allowed on the 32x32 grid - otherwise every thing would need to be clipped into a corner or have a 64x64 buffer zone on all sides.

tomocean22 said:

I would hope thing placement would not have to follow this rule, or if it must follow any rule, that thing placement could be allowed on the 32x32 grid - otherwise every thing would need to be clipped into a corner or have a 64x64 buffer zone on all sides.

Maybe just decorations? Although personally, I don't see how extending the vertex rule to Things adds anything to the project. Maybe I'm missing something, though.

The way how the rules are set up right now is sympathetic to me, I'll try to contribute a map.

Gothrock
Textures: GothicTX, Nightmare 1, Custom sky I made
Music: Sleepicide from 30in30 2 by Jimmy
Theme: 100% of vertices on the 64 grid
Run With: PRBoom (all files self contained)

Isn't summer 2016 kind of overly long time for development? There's already one map posted, so it's going to be long time for Pinchy to have his map in pack along with the rest.

SotaPoika said:

Isn't summer 2016 kind of overly long time for development? There's already one map posted, so it's going to be long time for Pinchy to have his map in pack along with the rest.

I'm on the same opinion exactly, but not everybody have enough time. Some people may also work on other projects, too, so it's alright I think.

Updated first post, and the splash (but if someone has time and can do better, I appreciate it)
Also, I forgot about sky transfers, it's allowed.