Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FractalXX

[RELEASED] Gridlock - A community project (maps aligned to the 64 units grid)

Time to reviving this thing:

Lost Tower
Textures: cc4-tex pack (not present in the wad)
Music: "Remember Us" by KevinHEZ
Theme: Medieval / Fantasy / Mountain falls (Vertex are all at 64 grid align)
tested and working with prboom and prboom-plus, complevel 9 of course

pictures here from the early version, but in this version gets more populated and texture pack is changed

Umm, if you make a large map and you don't worry too much with small details then it will still look beautiful; even in such... "large" grid.

And I though grids were only needed in Unreal Engine 1 and such engines where BSP is prone to error!

walter confalonieri said:

Time to reviving this thing:

Lost Tower
Textures: Eternal Resource Pack (included and fixed in the wad=
Music: "Remember Us" by KevinHEZ
Theme: Medieval / Fantasy / Mountain falls (Vertex are all at 64 grid align)
tested and working with prboom and prboom-plus, complevel 9 of course

pictures here, but in this version gets more populated

Nice one! Added in.

GregLafitte said:

I think I might contribute, quick question: 64 is the lowest the vertice can go or thats the most it can go?

Signed. Yes, it's the lowest grid size you can go.

Alright, here's my own entry: Phantasm.
It's not done yet, just an early test version, since I want to improve balance which is not the best at the moment. (quite hard, so be cautious)
I didn't even test prBoom compatibility, yet, so it's better to try in zDoom for the time being.
Feedback would be appreciated.
Textures: only vanilla Doom 2.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/xnf5g9

Update1: Did some minor tweaking, finalized prBoom compatibility.
Update2: Reduced the number of cells, fixed the stuck arachnotrons, removed cyberdemon from the slime pool, and fixed a switch which looked at the wrong side.
Update3: Made it so you can get out the red key's pit and fixed a misplaced texture.

Retrofit

Textures: CC4 Tex (not included)
Theme: Techbase/Clean, short and not as hard
tested with zandronum and gzdoom, but should work in boom. Don't know how to do complevels, if it doesn't work in boom because of this, tell me please.

Spoiler

Currently in beta. Not final.

Royal_Sir said:

Retrofit

Textures: DTID2, 5th Episode (not included in wad currently, please run with these as skins for now)

tested with zandronum and gzdoom, but should work in boom. Don't know how to do complevels, if it doesn't work in boom because of this, tell me please.

I can tell you immediately that it won't work in Boom/PrBoom-plus without even playing it, due to the fact that you used 2 texture packs. The later-loaded one's TEXTURE1/PNAMES will override the former-loaded one's TEXTURE1/PNAMES and make its textures unavailable. It can be fixed by making a special TEXTURE1/PNAMES with contents of both texture pack's TEXTURE1s/PNAMESs and putting it into your wad. Also if you haven't tested in PrBoom-plus -complevel 9 and you don't know about "zdoomisms" in non-ZDoom maps and how to avoid them, it's quite well possible that the map won't work properly in PrBoom-plus.

You "do complevels" by launching your wad from the command line, in your case this way: (with correct wad names of course)

prboom-plus -file texturepackname1.wad texturepackname2.wad yourwadname.wad -complevel 9
You can also use "-warp 1 -skill 4" parameters to automatically start playing MAP01 on Ultra Violence as soon as PrBoom-plus starts up.

After you fixed the problem scifista mentioned I will post it in the main post if you'd like to, since it's only beta yet.

scifista42 said:

I can tell you immediately that it won't work in Boom/PrBoom-plus without even playing it, due to the fact that you used 2 texture packs. The later-loaded one's TEXTURE1/PNAMES will override the former-loaded one's TEXTURE1/PNAMES and make its textures unavailable. It can be fixed by making a special TEXTURE1/PNAMES with contents of both texture pack's TEXTURE1s/PNAMESs and putting it into your wad. Also if you haven't tested in PrBoom-plus -complevel 9 and you don't know about "zdoomisms" in non-ZDoom maps and how to avoid them, it's quite well possible that the map won't work properly in PrBoom-plus.

You "do complevels" by launching your wad from the command line, in your case this way: (with correct wad names of course)

prboom-plus -file texturepackname1.wad texturepackname2.wad yourwadname.wad -complevel 9
You can also use "-warp 1 -skill 4" parameters to automatically start playing MAP01 on Ultra Violence as soon as PrBoom-plus starts up.

Could you test my map as well? It's some posts above.

FractalXX said:

Could you test my map as well?

Despite you saying "as well", I haven't actually tested any map in this project to begin with, as my judgement of Royal_Sir's wad was based on his description only. :) Anyway, I plan to playtest and record FDAs on all maps here in PrBoom-plus -complevel 9 when I feel like it.

scifista42 said:

Despite you saying "as well", I haven't actually tested any map in this project to begin with, as my judgement of Royal_Sir's wad was based on his description only. :) Anyway, I plan to playtest and record FDAs on all maps here in PrBoom-plus -complevel 9 when I feel like it.

My bad. I'll also do playtests, just I don't really have time now.
I'm curious for your opinion actually that's why I asked you precisely.

I updated the wad. The textures all consolidate under a single texture pack, included with the wad.

Quick question, though: do I have to include any Doom 2 textures too? Because I didn't...

Well, if you actually tested your wad in PrBoom-plus, you would know it still doesn't work.

You don't actually need to put any actual graphics into your wad - just the TEXTURE1/PNAMES lumps. Make it so they contain entries for Doom 2 stock textures/patches + the textures/patches from both texture packs. Then as long as you load the texture packs before your wad, it should work in PrBoom-plus.

This is how to do it:

1. Open both texture packs and your wad in SLADE3 (in separate tabs of the same instance of SLADE3).
2. Delete all graphics, TEXTURE1 and PNAMES lumps from your wad.
3. Copy TEXTURE1 and PNAMES from the first texture pack into your wad.
4. Open the second texture pack's TEXTURE1 lump, select the entries which are unique to this texture pack (not stock texture definitions), and copy them.
5. Open your wad's TEXTURE1 lump, and paste the textures you have in clipboard into it.
6. Close your wad's TEXTURE1 lump and confirm saving changes.
7. Delete all graphic patches from your wad, keep only the TEXTURE1 and PNAMES lumps themselves.
8. Save your wad and close it.

(If you put the graphic patches from both texture packs into your wad, you won't need to load the texture packs before them. You don't need and you should not put any Doom 2 graphic patches into your wad.)

Added y'all in.

PhantomTMac said:

I'm actually pretty interested in this. When's the deadline to submit?

It's the 1st of June. Updated the main post to be more accurate.

RjY said:

Moonstone: Eternal made a map a few years ago, with the same idea, a 64x64 grid. May be of interest.

It's not the only one actually, I've seen another one by a different author some weeks ago. Nice one, though.

Voltcom9 said:

Europa Facilty (64x64 map grid)

Tried out your map, Voltcom! I think it looks great, but I wasn't sure if you were planning on lower unpegging the door tracks? Right now, they raise along with the door. Just thought I'd mention that. Otherwise, the maps I've played so far in this project seem pretty cool.

I'm thinking of doing a boss map for MAP30. Is it all right if I do a custom DeHackEd boss?

Beed28 said:

I'm thinking of doing a boss map for MAP30. Is it all right if I do a custom DeHackEd boss?

If you can do it properly, go on. :)

Voltcom9 said:

Europa Facilty (64x64 map grid)

Cool map. But spectre in the dark room is not good idea. And maybe doors which open by keys, make marked with colored textures around the edges?

Beed28 said:

FractalXX said:

If you can do it properly, go on. :)

It should be noted that custom DEHACKED objects need to replace things and states of Doom's existing game objects, and the changes will manifest in the whole wad (including other people's maps) when it's compiled. Some kind of statement / agreement which things / states you're going to replace would be good for everybody's convenience and preventing resource conflicts in the end when the wad will be getting compiled. For example, if you're going to replace Wolfenstein SS (either the thing type or his animation states), the project rules should be altered to state that people shouldn't use Wolfenstein SSs in their maps, and such.