Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FractalXX

[RELEASED] Gridlock - A community project (maps aligned to the 64 units grid)

TheNerdTurtle2 said:

Sorry for this technically being released on the 2nd I was making some final touches and I think the map really works out well now :)

Name: Crimson Castle
Tested With: Doom Retro, Pr-Boom and Gz-Doom
MIDI: The Underground from Quake II
Play time: About 4 mins

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ix4vfnte393kdkf/64%2064.wad?dl=1

Screenies:

EDIT: SHIT I have bloody mess 2 on my map but I'm too tired to fix now, I will fix tomorrow. Also I'd love feedback

Its great, I liked it.

bioshockfan90 said:

Blood Lake Penitentiary v2:

FIXES:
------
-Fixed the lift.
- Adjusted switch height in red key room, added some more pillars to make room feel more congested.
-Changed a lot of enemy placement and ammo/health placement in red key room and others.
-Changed stair textures.
-Fixed graphical error in secret room.
-Added a cave to make the canyon leading to final room feel less bland.
-Snapped all vertices to actually be on the 64x64 grid.

Using Boom to make this map, so I couldn't get fancy with the gunners. Sadly. ;(

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9gjpgfs6jyggb4x/64x64.wad?dl=0

Your map feels better for sure.
Unfortunatly, the visual bugs arent fixed:

Spoiler

Also, make sure you use 'lower unpegged' at the doortracks, so the wall texture wont 'scroll up' with the door. I noticed this at the outside door and in the last room when the pinkies come out.
By the way, you can make monsters 'Deaf', you can tick it in when you click on the monster. That would make them not hear gunshots, so they would only move after seeing you.
Finally, in my opinion the room with the red key lacks some decoration.
All in all, its getting there :)

Nevander said:

Sorry for double post, but my first version is done and ready.

Name: Overgrowth
Replaces: MAP01 (right now as standalone WAD)
Tested with: ZDoom and GZDoom
MIDI: Acidcity by Jimmy from 30-in-30 3
Playtime: Little under 5 minutes if you go everywhere
Theme: Overgrown/old techbase
Textures: cc4-tex and Doom II (not included in this WAD)
Difficulty: Not too hard, may need more balancing though
Starts: Player 1-4 starts, several DM spawns
Map format: Boom of course, extended nodes

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/iw7qbqqi81dgxtw/64x64_Overgrowth.zip

Please test, check my vertices, and such. Also check and make sure everything works as they should across other ports. It should since I don't use anything fancy.

I played UV and thought the map was beautiful. It honestly looks like the 64:64 restriction isn't even there. It's a little bit too hard because of ammo restraints. I completely ran out of ammo after grabbing the key outside that starts the big ambush. I killed the archvile but had to make everything else infight and didn't have enough ammo for the next battle. But it was fun overall even though I died, I also liked that it felt non linear

I'd like to say, I'm not really this interested in my map anymore.

This life that I just acquired, with nothing to do, is boring.

Spoiler

Terry's not.

Spoiler

But I will only send any bad WADs I do to other people, and not only out of boredom, but also because I don't want to be raped by the Minion Lords.

Spoiler

Don't worry, I'll also do cool, regular maps most of the time, only being a Terry niche when I'm bored! :)

Sorry for the revelation and lots of spoilers. But I swear I'll never post any Terry WAD here.

TheNerdTurtle2 said:

I played UV and thought the map was beautiful. It honestly looks like the 64:64 restriction isn't even there. It's a little bit too hard because of ammo restraints. I completely ran out of ammo after grabbing the key outside that starts the big ambush. I killed the archvile but had to make everything else infight and didn't have enough ammo for the next battle. But it was fun overall even though I died, I also liked that it felt non linear

Thanks!

I just tried it myself and indeed ammo got tight after finishing the ambush. I will add more ammo on that side that you can get after the fight. I've been going to the left area first usually so if you go that way first there's plenty of ammo for the right side. I'll balance that out.

There's also a couple small issues I found that I will fix and have an update in a few hours. I'll test it a lot more too now that I at least have one version out.

EDIT: Version 2 posted, changes:
- Fixed up some textures
- Added more ammo on path to yellow key
- Made walk lifts stay down longer so they are less annoying
- Added more details and midtextures in some places
- Fixed key marker area window (enemies could see you through it and shoot you without you really being able to see them)
- Blocked monsters from being able to reach above lift area and then vanish only to surprise you later (I died like this while testing, damn Hell Knight vanished and I went into the lift and got scratched.. instantly died lol)

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/43bp99d7s6dzn46/64x64_Overgrowth_v2.zip

Please test again, as usual.

TheNerdTurtle2 said:

Also where is OP? He hasn't responded in days

My guess is either...
1) very busy
2) already compiling
3) waiting for others to post late maps or more maps

Nevander said:

My guess is either...
1) very busy
2) already compiling
3) waiting for others to post late maps or more maps

He hasn't been active on DoomWorld since the 23rd of June...

It's possible he's going to be offline for a while.

Royal_Sir said:

It's possible he's going to be offline for a while.

I'm here, sorry for being late. I had some work projects going on, so I wasn't able to log in for the past few weeks.

Now, I see some maps are not in the OP, I'll get through the whole thread and count how many maps we have at the moment and if it's decent enough, I'll compile it during this, or next week.

EDIT: So far, it's 23 maps with a beta in it. Quite a good number, I guess. I'll compile the test wad, soon.

I'll check again the whole thread, but I hope I didn't miss any complete maps.

We've also ran into a bit of problem here. The following maps are missing:

Royal-Sir: Retrofit (link doesn't work anymore)
Taedium: Media Realm (isn't even done yet?)
NoahMLG: Shores of R'lyeh

I'd appreciate if you guys updated the situation on these maps.
I can't start compilation if something's missing.

FractalXX said:

I'm here, sorry for being late. I had some work projects going on, so I wasn't able to log in for the past few weeks.

Now, I see some maps are not in the OP, I'll get through the whole thread and count how many maps we have at the moment and if it's decent enough, I'll compile it during this, or next week.

EDIT: So far, it's 23 maps with a beta in it. Quite a good number, I guess. I'll compile the test wad, soon.

I'll check again the whole thread, but I hope I didn't miss any complete maps.

We've also ran into a bit of problem here. The following maps are missing:

Royal-Sir: Retrofit (link doesn't work anymore)
Taedium: Media Realm (isn't even done yet?)
NoahMLG: Shores of R'lyeh

I'd appreciate if you guys updated the situation on these maps.
I can't start compilation if something's missing.

You can expect my map in 2 days. Or even tomorrow if I have the time

Ninehills42 said:

Your map feels better for sure.
Unfortunatly, the visual bugs arent fixed:

Also, make sure you use 'lower unpegged' at the doortracks, so the wall texture wont 'scroll up' with the door. I noticed this at the outside door and in the last room when the pinkies come out.
By the way, you can make monsters 'Deaf', you can tick it in when you click on the monster. That would make them not hear gunshots, so they would only move after seeing you.
Finally, in my opinion the room with the red key lacks some decoration.
All in all, its getting there :)

Fix v3

---
-Fixed the texture issues. I hope, I tested it in Zandronum (I mainly test with Zdoom, so maybe that's why it wasn't showing up for me) and yes, they should be fixed.
-Set all problematic "doors" to have the lower unpegged tag.

I cannot make the monsters deaf. I could if I was using Hexen format in GZdoombuilder, but I'm using Boom format (didn't want to get too complex for this map considering the limitation). If you don't believe me:

https://gyazo.com/7b4e63ea392adeb9b445fb30557183fb

There is no option. Perhaps there is a workaround, like making the lines "sound blocked", but as it is, the gunners work fine in their place in the map (Then again, that's just me.)

And the biggest fix:
-Redid aesthetic for redkey room
Well, not "re-did", but there's a lot more to look at. More good eye candy. I think you'll be satisfied.
---

Once again, thanks for all the feedback, it really is helpful! I've been working a lot on my own megawad and it can be a bit tough to carry along with this.

bioshockfan90 said:

I cannot make the monsters deaf. I could if I was using Hexen format in GZdoombuilder, but I'm using Boom format (didn't want to get too complex for this map considering the limitation). If you don't believe me:

https://gyazo.com/7b4e63ea392adeb9b445fb30557183fb

There is no option. Perhaps there is a workaround, like making the lines "sound blocked", but as it is, the gunners work fine in their place in the map (Then again, that's just me.)

WTF? Well its the ambush players option that makes them deaf but I'm wondering why it's called that... I work in Boom format all the time and mine says deaf.

Also if someone could playtest my level and leave feedback that would be great

I'm guess its because ambush is more accurate than deaf. Monsters with the deaf flag aren't deaf really, they still hear you, its just that they are only alerted when they have los. In fact if they haven't heard you yet, they only see you from the front, where as if they have heard you, they gain 360 degree los.
I do agree however that calling it ambush is strange since its been called deaf for like ever.

I might add more to my map too, since it looks like we have some waiting to do. I kinda want to make mine a bit bigger. If you don't see a new link from me then the last one I posted is the final one.

MAP03 in the compilation has to read the OP. He must have used Bloodymess 2 because the boss was running rampant on his map xD

EDIT: MAP04 shouldn't make the cut as it's just not good (I'm sorry to be blunt) and MAP13 is just kinda annoying. Also the compilation is missing a lot of maps, and my updated map as a boss is running rampant in my level too

Royal_Sir said:

Thanks for the link, it's working.

TheNerdTurtle2 said:

MAP03 in the compilation has to read the OP. He must have used Bloodymess 2 because the boss was running rampant on his map xD

EDIT: MAP04 shouldn't make the cut as it's just not good (I'm sorry to be blunt) and MAP13 is just kinda annoying. Also the compilation is missing a lot of maps, and my updated map as a boss is running rampant in my level too

Nevander said:

And it's also got the old version of my map in it, the newer one is here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/43bp99d7s6dzn46/64x64_Overgrowth_v2.zip

Fixed links. That's why I have asked to update the map in the first post, too, because it's hard to keep track of updates when they're posted several times.

FractalXX said:

That's why I have asked to update the map in the first post, too, because it's hard to keep track of updates when they're posted several times.

I did update my first post. He must have used the old one before I updated it and not noticed I posted an update. All links of mine WILL be updated all at once whenever there is one. I'm thorough like that.

FractalXX said:

Thanks for the link, it's working.

Fixed links. That's why I have asked to update the map in the first post, too, because it's hard to keep track of updates when they're posted several times.

Oh shit that's my bad, I'll go ahead and update my original link

bioshockfan90 said:

Blood Lake Penitentiary v2:

FIXES:
------
-Fixed the lift.
- Adjusted switch height in red key room, added some more pillars to make room feel more congested.
-Changed a lot of enemy placement and ammo/health placement in red key room and others.
-Changed stair textures.
-Fixed graphical error in secret room.
-Added a cave to make the canyon leading to final room feel less bland.
-Snapped all vertices to actually be on the 64x64 grid.

Using Boom to make this map, so I couldn't get fancy with the gunners. Sadly. ;(

So I loved the start of your level and I thought the theme was spot on but it was pretty easy. Like really easy. And then I saw the Cyberdemons and let them kill me because I don't like fighting cyberdemons as it's really boring IMO. The one thing I'd change about the level is the MIDI and the Cyberdemons. The MIDI because although it sounds good it has a terrible loop

Nevander said:

I did update my first post. He must have used the old one before I updated it and not noticed I posted an update. All links of mine WILL be updated all at once whenever there is one. I'm thorough like that.

Your link was actually up-to-date, my bad.

So, what about the other two missing maps?

TheNerdTurtle2 said:

So I loved the start of your level and I thought the theme was spot on but it was pretty easy. Like really easy. And then I saw the Cyberdemons and let them kill me because I don't like fighting cyberdemons as it's really boring IMO. The one thing I'd change about the level is the MIDI and the Cyberdemons. The MIDI because although it sounds good it has a terrible loop

Fair enough. At first, I thought the MIDI worked, but... Yeah, I agree with you.

Suppose I should make a bit of a "hard version" as well if you think it's easy. Then again, I'm comparably not the best at Doom, so I can see how it's easy. Since the last room is getting conflicting opinions (so far, someone's loved it, and someone didn't like it very much), I'll just keep it the same. If I get any more feedback on that, I'll do something about it.

Anyway, thanks for playing the level! Hopefully the difficulty wasn't too much of a snooze-fest for your tastes.

FractalXX said:

Your link was actually up-to-date, my bad.

So, what about the other two missing maps?

Fractal, in the compiled version, my map is on the wrong version as well.

bioshockfan90 said:

Fair enough. At first, I thought the MIDI worked, but... Yeah, I agree with you.

Suppose I should make a bit of a "hard version" as well if you think it's easy. Then again, I'm comparably not the best at Doom, so I can see how it's easy. Since the last room is getting conflicting opinions (so far, someone's loved it, and someone didn't like it very much), I'll just keep it the same. If I get any more feedback on that, I'll do something about it.

Anyway, thanks for playing the level! Hopefully the difficulty wasn't too much of a snooze-fest for your tastes.

It's not that it's too easy as in like boring I mean I didn't even kill a single non-hitscan monster because they were no threat. There was too much room so I easily avoided their projectiles and just flipped the switches. It made it kinda it's own fun because I was constantly on the run

TheNerdTurtle2 said:

It's not that it's too easy as in like boring I mean I didn't even kill a single non-hitscan monster because they were no threat. There was too much room so I easily avoided their projectiles and just flipped the switches. It made it kinda it's own fun because I was constantly on the run

Ah, okay. Well, I'm gonna upload a new version with UV difficulty very soon here, should prevent some of that hopefully. There's a lot more monsters, but a tad bit more ammo and health to compensate. I just got done testing it, and I had to use saves (something I don't normally like doing when playing maps).

bioshockfan90 said:

Fractal, in the compiled version, my map is on the wrong version as well.

Fixed.

Royal_Sir said:

Same with darkstone. He hasn't been active on IRC since that very same date!

Correction: He has returned (secretly) 3rd this July (and I'm sure it was at #IFOC once again, like this June 23th; his last roleplay with me was June 5th!). Which is weird... :P

Gustavo6046 said:

Same with darkstone. He hasn't been active on IRC since that very same date!

Correction: He has returned (secretly) 3rd this July (and I'm sure it was at #IFOC once again, like this June 23th; his last roleplay with me was June 5th!). Which is weird... :P

A little off: Since I've read your sig, I always imagine the same thing. :c