Gridlock - A community project (maps aligned to the 64 units grid)

Beed28 said:

I'm thinking of doing a boss map for MAP30. Is it all right if I do a custom DeHackEd boss?


If you can do it properly, go on. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Voltcom9 said:

Europa Facilty (64x64 map grid)


Cool map. But spectre in the dark room is not good idea. And maybe doors which open by keys, make marked with colored textures around the edges?

Share this post


Link to post
Beed28 said:

I'm thinking of doing a boss map for MAP30. Is it all right if I do a custom DeHackEd boss?

FractalXX said:

If you can do it properly, go on. :)

It should be noted that custom DEHACKED objects need to replace things and states of Doom's existing game objects, and the changes will manifest in the whole wad (including other people's maps) when it's compiled. Some kind of statement / agreement which things / states you're going to replace would be good for everybody's convenience and preventing resource conflicts in the end when the wad will be getting compiled. For example, if you're going to replace Wolfenstein SS (either the thing type or his animation states), the project rules should be altered to state that people shouldn't use Wolfenstein SSs in their maps, and such.

Share this post


Link to post
Vanger_ru said:

Cool map. But spectre in the dark room is not good idea. And maybe doors which open by keys, make marked with colored textures around the edges?


Good point. I'll change out the spectre, not sure about the key markers though. I did have them in there originally and I thought they looked kind of silly because of the 64x64 grid limit. I'll see about implementing door markers somehow though.

Share this post


Link to post
scifista42 said:

Do this:


I do like that idea but I've decided to construct some new door markers which have been added to the map. Map is updated with changes.

Share this post


Link to post

There needs to be a unified texture WAD for this so there's not a million texture sources being used for the project.

Share this post


Link to post
Glaice said:

There needs to be a unified texture WAD for this so there's not a million texture sources being used for the project.


Agreed

Share this post


Link to post

You could always just use the resource pack included with Community Chest 4, which is mostly just a compilation of things found on Afterglow, and just add whatever textures needed. Then just go into SLADE and remove all the unused textures when all the maps are submitted.

Share this post


Link to post
Voltcom9 said:

http://i.imgur.com/TYgEdDd.png?1

Are multiple author submissions permitted for this project?
If so here is a very, very short "not-so serious" map. (Maybe could be a secret map)

It uses the OP titlepic and a few Doom 1 textures.

Trouble on the Bridge
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ghjcju0s8yz525/Jokewad.wad?dl=0


I posted it in the OP but we'll see if it makes into the final wad. It depends on how many maps will be submitted at the end.

Glaice said:

There needs to be a unified texture WAD for this so there's not a million texture sources being used for the project.


Afterglow is quite "unified" on it's own, there won't be any problems with resources IMO.
When we consider only the actually used textures, it won't be that many.

scifista42 said:

It should be noted that custom DEHACKED objects need to replace things and states of Doom's existing game objects, and the changes will manifest in the whole wad (including other people's maps) when it's compiled. Some kind of statement / agreement which things / states you're going to replace would be good for everybody's convenience and preventing resource conflicts in the end when the wad will be getting compiled. For example, if you're going to replace Wolfenstein SS (either the thing type or his animation states), the project rules should be altered to state that people shouldn't use Wolfenstein SSs in their maps, and such.


I'm not into DEHACKED that much, so in order to make an agreement, let's wait for him to respond to this.

Soldier993 said:

Sign me in. Need to refresh some mapping skills I have.

DoomLover234 said:

cOUNT ME IN DEFINITELY

oh god


Signed.

Share this post


Link to post
FractalXX said:

I posted it in the OP but we'll see if it makes into the final wad. It depends on how many maps will be submitted at the end.

I really doubt there would be "too many maps" as you seem to be afraid of. The opposite (too few maps / not enough quality ones) is much more likely to happen.

FractalXX said:

Afterglow is quite "unified" on it's own, there won't be any problems with resources IMO.

The problem is inconvenience during testing and compilation:
1. People must bother downloading different resource wads per each posted map and then loading them.
2. PrBoom-plus can't load multiple texture packs at the same time unless the last loaded wad contains TEXTURE1/PNAMES definitions of all textures used in the map, which requires a bit of technical knowledge and practice that not all mappers have, but few mappers even know the fact that it's required in the first place.

FractalXX said:

I'm not into DEHACKED that much, so in order to make an agreement, let's wait for him to respond to this.

Maybe PM him. He might not respond to this at all otherwise, considering that he hasn't already.

Share this post


Link to post

If I do ever do a custom DeHackEd final boss, I'll probably end up replacing the Wolfenstien SS. Otherwise, I might look into replacing the Commander Keen and the Boss Shooter states instead.

And I agree on the Community Chest 4 texture pack.

I just need to fight this mapper's block...

Share this post


Link to post
scifista42 said:

I really doubt there would be "too many maps" as you seem to be afraid of. The opposite (too few maps / not enough quality ones) is much more likely to happen.
The problem is inconvenience during testing and compilation:
1. People must bother downloading different resource wads per each posted map and then loading them.
2. PrBoom-plus can't load multiple texture packs at the same time unless the last loaded wad contains TEXTURE1/PNAMES definitions of all textures used in the map, which requires a bit of technical knowledge and practice that not all mappers have, but few mappers even know the fact that it's required in the first place.
Maybe PM him. He might not respond to this at all otherwise, considering that he hasn't already.



1. You're right but noone knows for sure. Anyways, we still have time to decide on that.

2. How about going the cc4-tex.wad route which Taedium has mentioned? It's full of useful textures and also a compilation of packs from Afterglow.

Beed28 said:

If I do ever do a custom DeHackEd final boss, I'll probably end up replacing the Wolfenstien SS. Otherwise, I might look into replacing the Commander Keen and the Boss Shooter states instead.

And I agree on the Community Chest 4 texture pack.

I just need to fight this mapper's block...


I doubt anyone would use something like Commander Keen so go ahead.
For WolfensteinSS we already have a map which uses them.
If you're going to make the last map, you would be the only one to use the Boss Shooter, am I right?

Share this post


Link to post
Beed28 said:

If I do ever do a custom DeHackEd final boss, I'll probably end up replacing the Wolfenstien SS. Otherwise, I might look into replacing the Commander Keen and the Boss Shooter states instead.

What if somebody used either WolfSSs or Keens or Romero heads in his maps? You should first replace states that wouldn't matter, only then make compromises. Boss Shooters should be OK though, as people shouldn't use them outside of MAP30 anyway, because they don't work properly in other mapslots.

Here, have some suggestions for harmless states to reuse:

-Item respawn fog (states 142-148), provided you change the item respawn fog thing's spawn state to the one of teleport fog.
-Zombieman's gibbing animation except the first frame (states 196-202), provided you change state 195 to join Shotgunguy's gibbing animation on state 228 (they look the same).
-Pain Elemental's respawn animation (states 720-725), provided you nullify the PE thing's respawn state.
-Monster Spawner, Boss Cube and Spawn Fire animations (states 784-798), provided they aren't used in any maps. But don't reuse the consequent 3 brain explosion states, because those are spawned when Romero's head dies.

Share this post


Link to post

I definitely think a unified texture pack would be a good thing for this project. It's so frustrating trying to put textures together from 100 different wads. The screenshots posted are looking pretty nifty though!

Share this post


Link to post

Signed all.

Updated OP, too. We will now stick to Doom 2, and CC4 textures.
If you have still used something from Afterglow which is not in the pack (most of them are in it), please change the textures and update the map in their respective posts as seen in the OP.

Soldier993 said:

One question though. If we use custom music, should we convert it to midi or just swap it?


I guess I misunderstand your question but you should use either midi or mus format since Boom only supports these formats.

Share this post


Link to post
FractalXX said:

Signed all.

Updated OP, too. We will now stick to Doom 2, and CC4 textures.
If you have still used something from Afterglow which is not in the pack (most of them are in it), please change the textures and update the map in their respective posts as seen in the OP.

I guess I misunderstand your question but you should use either midi or mus format since Boom only supports these formats.


I meant like no conversion. Just straight mp3 piece & rename it, so it would play during the map.

Share this post


Link to post

Uhm, sooo.... i had to change the textures i've used to the one present in the cc4 texture pack or i can leave the textures i've used (also it uses some animated and switches textures from the Eternal texture pack)

Share this post


Link to post
Soldier993 said:

I meant like no conversion. Just straight mp3 piece & rename it, so it would play during the map.


You mean like renaming an mp3 to midi? Don't ever do that.
Renaming an mp3 to midi won't work. Mp3 is a pre-recorded audio sequence while MIDIs are keynotes for given instruments for your OS's MIDI soundfont.

So an mp3 will not be played by older source ports, it's only supported in more modern ones like zDoom and we aim for Boom compatibility.

walter confalonieri said:

Uhm, sooo.... i had to change the textures i've used to the one present in the cc4 texture pack or i can leave the textures i've used (also it uses some animated and switches textures from the Eternal texture pack)


First, look up if they're in the cc4 pack, since they may be in it already.
If not, you should change them. There are many animated textures in the cc4 pack, though.

Share this post


Link to post
walter confalonieri said:

Time to reviving this thing:

Lost Tower
Textures: Eternal Resource Pack (included and fixed in the wad=
Music: "Remember Us" by KevinHEZ
Theme: Medieval / Fantasy / Mountain falls (Vertex are all at 64 grid align)
tested and working with prboom and prboom-plus, complevel 9 of course

pictures here, but in this version gets more populated

Just played this map and really enjoyed it! It had smooth gameplay, intuitive and guided level progression and subtle use of more difficult enemies. Toughest bit for me was

Spoiler

being ported into the revenant room with shotgun guys, took a few tries with the rl to clear it safely.

There was just the right amount of backtracking and weaving about to keep me intrigued and wanting more.

Overall aesthetic was nice and consistent. A couple of things that seemed out of place were the lava beneath the armour and the exit sign. The stained glass window by the chaingunners was also somewhat conspicuous but certainly thematic. The final room was unexpectedly quiet but I appreciated the view of the keep off in the distance.

All in all I felt it was a well paced map, with a nice variety of areas that had clear purposes and ideas. Played on UV.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now