Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FractalXX

[RELEASED] Gridlock - A community project (maps aligned to the 64 units grid)

walter confalonieri said:

Also, how about linking the cc4 texture pack in the OP post?

As someone who didn't have the pack beforehand this is probably a good idea to help bring in testers.

Played the new version now, loved it! The new textures work really well and it's still a very fun map.

Right, the bossmap is pretty much done, and ready for upload.

There's just one problem... imgur is not letting me upload a screenshot or any image today. I don't know why it's trying its best to stop me, but people are not going to download something that doesn't have a screenshot.

EDIT: Finally managed to upload the screenshot, with difficulty. Let's do this.

The Master
Textues: cc4-tex.wad
Music: Final Boss theme from Super Bomberman 4
Run with: Boom compatible (-complevel 9)
Credit goes to the people of Realm667 for sprites.

Warning, he does not go down without a fight and a half. I'm pretty sure someone could help fine tune the difficulty if it comes to it. It does support skill levels, anyhow.

Beed28 said:

Right, the bossmap is pretty much done, and ready for upload.

There's just one problem... imgur is not letting me upload a screenshot or any image today. I don't know why it's trying its best to stop me, but people are not going to download something that doesn't have a screenshot.

There are other image hosting websites than imgur.

Just played your map Voltcom9. Overall it was pretty fun! I liked the frantic start, compact battles and chasing down enemies peeking you from behind grates. Some points I thought of:
1. Fails to start in prboom-plus 2.5.1.4 for me with 'P_LoadSubsectors: no subsectors in level'. I don't know if I'm being a retard here and forgetting something or it specifically requires a ZDoom et. al. port.
2. I found 3/4 secrets and thought I could see the fourth on the automap but it didn't trigger (unless I missed one, I grabbed the medikit door where there seemed to be two secrets, the lowering square platform in the large room and the jutting out section of wall in the side hall).
3. The ending was a bit unceremonious, I wasn't sure that was the final door and the platform was one way so no backtracking for missed secrets if you inadvertently end the level.

Some personal opinions:
1. Feels like the overall gameplay encourages hide-and-seek a bit more than I like but that's just preference.
2. The Arch-vile/Baron of Hell room felt a bit random. Some playthroughs I could coax out archy for an easy clear sometimes the pinkys and barons ate all that delicious plasma you gave us! Maybe one fewer Baron and a few more weaker monsters would keep the 'oh shit' factor without the monsters protecting the Arch-vile being able to tank quite so much.
3. The secret wall with all the PG(I think?) ammo felt a bit like one that you come across after clearing a level and spamming use on everything, I got a bit lucky finding that one.

The keycard textures are really helpful nice use of those. What were the demonic stone textures beneath the three square holes in the ceiling for by the way? Looked out of place but I'm guessing that was the point.

Tricky in places but well worth the play!

Alright, posted everything neccessary in the OP.
Also updated my map, too. Link's in the main post.
Changed the title of the thread a little bit since it was misleading.

I guess we're going somewhere... :)

Quick update on my level.

I'm basically done with the level design, and I'm in the process of placing things. I'll upload this Sunday for feedback purposes.

I have a question. Whenever I download one of these WADs and open them, there's a lot of unknown textures, even though I have cc4. Im using Skulltag. Can anyone help me fix this problem?

Ninehills42 said:

I have a question. Whenever I download one of these WADs and open them, there's a lot of unknown textures, even though I have cc4. Im using Skulltag. Can anyone help me fix this problem?

How do you open the wads?

If my simplist mapping style doesn't get too much out of place, I'd like to make a map for this project.

Cyanide said:

How do you open the wads?

I figured out that only teh Doom 2 textures are shown, the cc4 textures are unknown... I dont really know how to fix this.

Ninehill42, you're better off not using Skulltag. It's now a very, very out of date Source Port. Instead, use Zandronum, which is the modern day Skulltag.

To open the CC4 file AND the level that has been supplied, select both WAD files and drag'n'drop them onto the Zandronum executable file.

If that's alot of effort from your perspective, there are various launchers which aid in the process. I've never used such launchers myself, but you may find them useful. One I know of is DoomLauncher

If you still have issues, let me / anyone else know and I'm sure we'll be able to help further.

Also, separate to the above, I am considering putting in a contribution for this 64x64 project if I find the opportunity, would be a nice 'chillout project' to do between my more serious doom commitments.

Has the Map07 slot been taken? If not, I'd love to reserve it. Thanks!

Dragonfly said:

Ninehill42, you're better off not using Skulltag. It's now a very, very out of date Source Port. Instead, use Zandronum, which is the modern day Skulltag.

To open the CC4 file AND the level that has been supplied, select both WAD files and drag'n'drop them onto the Zandronum executable file.

If that's alot of effort from your perspective, there are various launchers which aid in the process. I've never used such launchers myself, but you may find them useful. One I know of is DoomLauncher

If you still have issues, let me / anyone else know and I'm sure we'll be able to help further.

Also, separate to the above, I am considering putting in a contribution for this 64x64 project if I find the opportunity, would be a nice 'chillout project' to do between my more serious doom commitments.

Has the Map07 slot been taken? If not, I'd love to reserve it. Thanks!

Ty for the suggestion, ill try make it work.

I finished my map, its called 'Tower of Hope'
Newest version (v1.5): http://www.mediafire.com/download/s4b7qei1thmfenh/Tower_of_Hope%28v1.5%29.wad
No custon music ( I dont even know how to do that)
Textures: cc4 and Doom 2
Difficulty levels: Added
All in all, I think its a pertty hard level, should be somewhere around the end.

Last version: Shortened some scrolling linedefs.

Screenshots:

While Zandronum is the latest and most modern source port for MP, it's still outdated regarding GZDoom's and zDoom's features. GZDoom is the way to go.
But for these maps, prBoom compatibility is the goal. It's quite faithful to vanilla Doom and has some new features which can be crucial at some point.

Updated the OP for new maps and a new contributor (Deadwing). Thanks.

Ninehills42 said:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/djwa2lgp5n74c5t/Tower_of_Hope.wad
Its probably not not final version, we'll see.
Difficulty levels: Ill do it later
All in all, I think its a pertty hard level, should be somewhere around the end.

I started playing this, but the 100% missing textures and flats in the hallway out of the first room made my eyes hurt. Then when the wall into the next room only dropped half-way, I quit. None of the missing textures/flats are in cc4-tex. What did you test this with?

EffinghamHuffnagel said:

I started playing this, but the 100% missing textures and flats in the hallway out of the first room made my eyes hurt. Then when the wall into the next room only dropped half-way, I quit. None of the missing textures/flats are in cc4-tex. What did you test this with?

That sounds very strange, since they are actually in the cc4 texture pack, the textures are called KS_K#### (for example KS_K0208).
I tested it with Zandronum and Prboom, and although the door dropping only half-way was a problem for me when i played it in Prboom, I think i fixed it and I havent noticed it since that.
What did you test it with?

Edit: Okay, with Prboom the doors were still a little bit buggy, here's a fix for that: http://www.mediafire.com/download/nwycbw9c93p3y5d/Tower_of_Hope%28v1.1%29.wad

Ah, now I understand. No, those textures are not in cc4-tex.wad, the resource pack, they are in cchest4.wad, the final release. Cchest4.wad has an additional 7MB of textures added by individual authors for their maps. It also has unused resource pack textures removed to shrink file size. You'd have to add those to your map.

Which brings up a question I've had. This isn't the first time I've seen this happen. Why are 'additional textures' like these never added to a 'final release' of the resource pack?

Ninehills42 said:

So, shall I replace those textures in my map (in which case i need the actual cc4 texture pack) or leave it just as it is?

You should replace them with those in cc4-tex.wad or vanilla textures.

Ninehills42 said:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/djwa2lgp5n74c5t/Tower_of_Hope.wad
Its probably not not final version, we'll see.
Difficulty levels: Ill do it later

If anyone can beat this without bursting into rage and resurrecting/godding, I will burst into tears. Is this wad hard! Yes! It's impossible (almost) (probably)

Design-wise, it's OK. Could've been better, but the difficulty is Slaughterfest style. Not that I hate slaughtermaps, but geez is this hard

http://www.mediafire.com/download/6f55l01zvgy2di7/Tower_of_Hope%281.2.3%29.wad
Here's the v1.2 of this map, with fixed textures.

And I desinged this map to be hard, I really love making slaughterfest levels, and I think every megawad should have at least a few hard levels in them :)
But dont worry, this will probably be the UV difficulty :D

Edit: Also I've just done it with only one resurrection used. So it should be possible :)

rdwpa said:

Many of those are custom -- i.e., made by the map author or something -- and not intended for the general public's use.

The permissions of cchest4.txt says "Authors may NOT use the contents of this file as a base for modification or reuse." The next paragraph says "You MAY distribute this file... I have received permission from the original authors of any modified or included content in this file to allow further distribution." This seems to indicate that you can't use the contents of the file, but you can distribute the entire file. Okay.

lupinx-Kassman added about 400 textures and flats to cchest4.wad. In his original CC4 map posts, he says most of his textures came from Dark Forces and Strife, but he created some.
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/805333
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/891687

I identified about 125 of the textures/flats by their numbers pulled directly from a Dark Forces texture wad (darkftex.zip) at Afterglow's site http://www.doomworld.com/afterglow/textures.shtml , whose author does allow re-distribution (there is also a darkftex.zip at Realm667, but it's different and has less textures). Maybe other textures were re-named versions. I didn't check closely. Credit is given in cchest4.txt to Rogue Entertainment and LucasArts, but the original texture locations are not given.

So, my understanding of this is: you can't use the Dark Forces textures from cchest4.wad, but you can use them from darkftex.wad, if you made the effort to track them down.

Isn't this like saying "I found some cool things, which I have permission to use, but I'm not letting you use them and I'm not telling you where they came from"? Or am I understanding the cchest4 permissions wrongly?

And it still doesn't address my original question. It looks like the only way to access all the textures used in cchest4 is to rip the custom ones from cchest4.wad and add them to cc4-tex.wad, if that's even allowable.

So I guess Ninehills42 could keep the custom textures if he makes sure they are from darkftex and not ones that lupinx-Kassman created.

If custom textures are being allowed.

EffinghamHuffnagel said:

The permissions of cchest4.txt says "Authors may NOT use the contents of this file as a base for modification or reuse." The next paragraph says "You MAY distribute this file... I have received permission from the original authors of any modified or included content in this file to allow further distribution." This seems to indicate that you can't use the contents of the file, but you can distribute the entire file. Okay.

lupinx-Kassman added about 400 textures and flats to cchest4.wad. In his original CC4 map posts, he says most of his textures came from Dark Forces and Strife, but he created some.
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/805333
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/891687

I identified about 125 of the textures/flats by their numbers pulled directly from a Dark Forces texture wad (darkftex.zip) at Afterglow's site http://www.doomworld.com/afterglow/textures.shtml , whose author does allow re-distribution (there is also a darkftex.zip at Realm667, but it's different and has less textures). Maybe other textures were re-named versions. I didn't check closely. Credit is given in cchest4.txt to Rogue Entertainment and LucasArts, but the original texture locations are not given.

So, my understanding of this is: you can't use the Dark Forces textures from cchest4.wad, but you can use them from darkftex.wad, if you made the effort to track them down.

Isn't this like saying "I found some cool things, which I have permission to use, but I'm not letting you use them and I'm not telling you where they came from"? Or am I understanding the cchest4 permissions wrongly?

And it still doesn't address my original question. It looks like the only way to access all the textures used in cchest4 is to rip the custom ones from cchest4.wad and add them to cc4-tex.wad, if that's even allowable.

So I guess Ninehills42 could keep the custom textures if he makes sure they are from darkftex and not ones that lupinx-Kassman created.

If custom textures are being allowed.

I understand you actually but that's not an option now.
We're sticking strictly to cc4-tex.wad.

Ninehills42 said:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/6f55l01zvgy2di7/Tower_of_Hope%281.2.3%29.wad
Here's the v1.2 of this map, with fixed textures.

And I desinged this map to be hard, I really love making slaughterfest levels, and I think every megawad should have at least a few hard levels in them :)
But dont worry, this will probably be the UV difficulty :D

Edit: Also I've just done it with only one resurrection used. So it should be possible :)

Include the update in the maps' original post, too (as seen in the OP).
My map turned out to be hard, too, but if I managed to get through it at least once without resurrection then it won't be a problem for more skilled players.

FractalXX said:

Alright, here's my own entry: Phantasm.
It's not done yet, just an early test version, since I want to improve balance which is not the best at the moment. (quite hard, so be cautious)
I didn't even test prBoom compatibility, yet, so it's better to try in zDoom for the time being.
Feedback would be appreciated.
Textures: only vanilla Doom 2.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/904knp

http://postimg.org/image/sw6q9wcl5/
http://postimg.org/image/ui46t10p3/

Edit: Did some minor tweaking, finalized prBoom compatibility.

I just played your level, and i found 2 bugs. The first bug is that the 2 arachnatrons are stuck at the switch which brings down the blue key.
The 2nd bug is that there is no getting-up after you go down into the red key's hole.

Also I have 2 suggestion:
The Cyberdemon has no impact. Its just sitting in the hole, not even bothering you :) . I think you should replace it to do other side of the switch.
Then, I think you give way too much ammo. Basicly you end up finishing the level killing zombiemen with plasmagun, and still finishing the level with full ammo. I think you should reduce the amount of rockets and cells on your map.

Otherwise, i enjoyed playing your level, the music is nice, the design is nice.

Edit: Also, there's a switch which is facing the wrong direction. :)

Did a little update. Thanks for pointing the bugs out.

FractalXX said:

Update2: Reduced the number of cells, fixed the stuck arachnotrons, removed cyberdemon from the slime pool, and fixed a switch which looked at the wrong side.

Actually, you can get out of the red key's pit, there's a lift. (which - I guess - is easily noticable).

The amount of rockets is good as it is, the cells were too much. On UV, ammo can still get a little bit tight.

FractalXX said:

Did a little update. Thanks for pointing the bugs out.

Actually, you can get out of the red key's pit, there's a lift. (which - I guess - is easily noticable).

The amount of rockets is good as it is, the cells were too much. On UV, ammo can still get a little bit tight.

You use the lift, but then how do you get up from there?

Cyanide said:

Better late than never

http://www.mediafire.com/download/a9ap4nhoq64dar1/pillar64.wad

Haven't thought of a name yet.
Uses Doom2.wad and cc4-tex.wad textures.
No custom music.
Tested witd GZDoom.

Would like feedback.

So I played your level, and i find it a very quality map. Nice design, good music, well balanced map.
I have only one thing: There is not enought ammo. I ran out of it after killing the cyberdemon, i had nothing but fist left for the 5 cacodemons and the hell knights :)
Otherwise your map is very-very good.