Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FractalXX

[RELEASED] Gridlock - A community project (maps aligned to the 64 units grid)

Nice. I'll include it in the next update.

EDIT: I looked at it.

I guess the link is wrong, since the rogue vertices are all still there.

Edited by FractalXX

17 hours ago, Soldier993 said:

God damn it. How did I manage to do that mistake?

This one will do.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yt1muoi5q4748ok/Through %26 Around fixed.zip?dl=0

Included. Thanks.

EDIT: I also changed Overgrowth's sky to sky1, since it would use that anyway in prBoom and we shouldn't include any Doom textures in the wad, so we can't use UD_SKY1.

Edited by FractalXX

On 2017. 06. 15. at 8:03 AM, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

I beat Monochrome Mood.

Holy...

I did not expect a video about my map, let alone a semi-speedrun!

Thanks!

On 15/06/2017 at 9:21 AM, Soldier993 said:

Fixed my map's grid. Thanks to Cyberia-Mix for letting me know about my errors.

NP :)

While I'm at it:

- Lost Tower https://i.gyazo.com/55795c88381e9b886f5ae2f67df79f50.png

- Careless Infection https://i.gyazo.com/e9ed56d942a4ca0d83d5e58d172b151f.png

- 64 Ways to Die https://i.gyazo.com/0812d1f486f459aab7dcf27420a6c403.png - https://i.gyazo.com/10e666c00637ade0c960db0e6e193825.png (symmetry)

On 15/06/2017 at 0:51 AM, FractalXX said:

V3 is out.

Once again you're good at choosing songs. :D

Some remarks for possible improvements:

I'm not sure about the new title screen. It's rather dull and the actual maps aren't that blocky. I liked that the old title screen was straight to the point by showing the grid.

Actually the best thing might just be to write "64" or "Gridlock" or both in the editor in the same style as you did with the logo. (Possibly with extra lines and map things around for decoration.)

I also think it's fine to use the same pic for both the title and intermission screens. I see no reason to have two, plus the current intermission pic is unrelated to the project.

I like the new HUD, though I think the R and S need to be shaped more. They don't look as such right now.

You might want to improve horizontal centering on the CWILV gfx. Some look off in game, mostly THENERDTURTLE on 18 and XABIKA2202 on 31 (not sure about others).

I also noted various inconsistencies in the MAPINFO lump that may be visible on the intermission screens depending which port you play with:

(I don't know much about this so I may be wrong.)

- PrBoom doesn't use the "cluster" data so it shows story screens after map 06, 12 etc. like normal.

GZDoom and ZDoom use this data, and the current result is that there's a single story screen in the whole game after map 13.

Since there's no story in the project I would recommend having a "cluster = 1" line for all maps.

(I have no idea if it's possible to disable story screens in PrBoom.)

- Because of the same "cluster" inconsistency, in ZDoom 2.8.1 (PrBoom and GZDoom are unaffected) the second intermission screen that shows the next map's name and author only appears if this line is present.

One more reason to have that "cluster = 1" line for all maps.

(I usually play with ZDoom, else I wouldn't have noticed.)

- Some maps have a par time, most don't. I don't know if it was set by the mapper or if it's the result of some bad copy/pasting.

- Some maps have a "sucktime". It doesn't hurt but since it's highly unlikely that they last more than 1 hour those lines are pointless.

- Other unnecessary lines:

MAP 24 levelnum = 1

MAP 24 secretnext = "MAP31"

MAP 32 levelnum = 1

MAP 32 titlepatch = "DINOSAUR FOOT"

Also for some reason i see the DEHACKED lump twice in XWE. One of them with outdated level names.

Finally, a couple questions about the maps themselves:

Pinball and Dinosaur Foot used to have custom songs that were cut off for copyright reasons. Don't sudo459 and Martian Doomer want to try picking other custom songs rather than using default ones?

Also what about copyright for resampled songs? Pillar64 and Survive!'s songs are originally from Unreal Tournament, and Nazi-Festung's song from Chrono Trigger, although they all sound noticeably different.

I asked this previously but I'm not sure if TheNerdTurtle and Soldier993 chose the sky texture in their maps since they don't have transfer lines and were moved around in the map order.

Edited by Cyberia-Mix

Speaking of music, here is a great song for my Hellkeep map. It is a Doom MUS lump from heroes2.wad, with permission granted in heroes2.txt:

hkeepmus.zip

11 hours ago, Cyberia-Mix said:

NP :)

While I'm at it:

- Lost Tower https://i.gyazo.com/55795c88381e9b886f5ae2f67df79f50.png

- Careless Infection https://i.gyazo.com/e9ed56d942a4ca0d83d5e58d172b151f.png

- 64 Ways to Die https://i.gyazo.com/0812d1f486f459aab7dcf27420a6c403.png - https://i.gyazo.com/10e666c00637ade0c960db0e6e193825.png (symmetry)

Once again you're good at choosing songs. :D

Some remarks for possible improvements:

I'm not sure about the new title screen. It's rather dull and the actual maps aren't that blocky. I liked that the old title screen was straight to the point by showing the grid.

Actually the best thing might just be to write "64" or "Gridlock" or both in the editor in the same style as you did with the logo. (Possibly with extra lines and map things around for decoration.)

I also think it's fine to use the same pic for both the title and intermission screens. I see no reason to have two, plus the current intermission pic is unrelated to the project.

I like the new HUD, though I think the R and S need to be shaped more. They don't look as such right now.

You might want to improve horizontal centering on the CWILV gfx. Some look off in game, mostly THENERDTURTLE on 18 and XABIKA2202 on 31 (not sure about others).

I also noted various inconsistencies in the MAPINFO lump that may be visible on the intermission screens depending which port you play with:

(I don't know much about this so I may be wrong.)

- PrBoom doesn't use the "cluster" data so it shows story screens after map 06, 12 etc. like normal.

GZDoom and ZDoom use this data, and the current result is that there's a single story screen in the whole game after map 13.

Since there's no story in the project I would recommend having a "cluster = 1" line for all maps.

(I have no idea if it's possible to disable story screens in PrBoom.)

- Because of the same "cluster" inconsistency, in ZDoom 2.8.1 (PrBoom and GZDoom are unaffected) the second intermission screen that shows the next map's name and author only appears if this line is present.

One more reason to have that "cluster = 1" line for all maps.

(I usually play with ZDoom, else I wouldn't have noticed.)

- Some maps have a par time, most don't. I don't know if it was set by the mapper or if it's the result of some bad copy/pasting.

- Some maps have a "sucktime". It doesn't hurt but since it's highly unlikely that they last more than 1 hour those lines are pointless.

- Other unnecessary lines:

MAP 24 levelnum = 1

MAP 24 secretnext = "MAP31"

MAP 32 levelnum = 1

MAP 32 titlepatch = "DINOSAUR FOOT"

Also for some reason i see the DEHACKED lump twice in XWE. One of them with outdated level names.

Pinball and Dinosaur Foot used to have custom songs that were cut off for copyright reasons. Don't sudo459 and Martian Doomer want to try picking other custom songs rather than using default ones?

Also what about copyright for resampled songs? Pillar64 and Survive!'s songs are originally from Unreal Tournament, and Nazi-Festung's song from Chrono Trigger, although they all sound noticeably different.

I asked this previously but I'm not sure if TheNerdTurtle and Soldier993 chose the sky texture in their maps since they don't have transfer lines and were moved around in the map order.

Thanks about the songs. :)

Actually, I might change the font on the HUD as I had problems with the scale. The font size is basically the same as it is on the vanilla HUD but it scales differently for some reason.

I guess I'll never be satisfied with the title screens. :D
Will change them too. The Interpic has to be changed as well.

The CWILVs weren't made by me, so they will have to be updated by the authors.

I totally forgot about the cluster attribute, I'll fix it soon.

I didn't know about the duplicate DEHACKED. Mainly because I use SLADE3 and it only shows the new one for me. To be honest I don't really like XWE.

About the songs:
idgames has a rule that copyrighted MP3s and OGGs can't be included. This rule doesn't apply for MIDIs, or any format that's based on that + impulse tracker songs are also allowed, but in any port below zDoom (compatibility, or feature-wise) only MIDIs/MUSs can be played.

Speaking of music, here is a great song for my Hellkeep map. It is a Doom MUS lump from heroes2.wad, with permission granted in heroes2.txt:

hkeepmus.zip

I'll include it.

Edited by FractalXX

13 hours ago, Cyberia-Mix said:

I can say that FractalXX (or someone) can try to play the music from my Dinosaur Foot level on Synthesia and save the file as a midi and import it into my level in the wad. That is my recommendation.

6 hours ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

I can say that FractalXX (or someone) can try to play the music from my Dinosaur Foot level on Synthesia and save the file as a midi and import it into my level in the wad. That is my recommendation.

I would do that if it would be that simple.

MP3/OGG to MIDI conversion can't be done directly. Although there are tools for that, they produce horrible midis that wouldn't even be similar to the original song.
Playing it (or, should I say, remake it in MIDI) would be better but I'm not a musician, sadly.

What's the title of the song? Maybe I could get an original MIDI for it.

Meanwhile, new titlepic.

w3dUhdV.png

It contains levelshots for all maps in the wad. The two secret maps will also pop up in place of the credits screen, in the 64 by 64 blocks.

EDIT: V3.1 is up. Cleaned up the wad a little bit, especially MAPINFO. I also fixed the duplicate DEHACKED lump problem.
Changes regarding MAPINFO:
Since it's not going to be a zDoom specific wad, we won't need any zDoom features, just the basics which have to be included for it to run in zDoom properly. (removed unnecessary attributes)
Made map definitions consistent.

Added a little green shade to the HUD as it was a little bit monochromatic.

New title/intermission screens with screens from all levels.

Updated maps, especially mine. Considered Cyberia-mix's suggestions about the last room and the yellow key being unnecessary at the end (I don't even know why I did this, honestly).

Edited by FractalXX : V3.1 Update

6 hours ago, FractalXX said:

I would do that if it would be that simple.

MP3/OGG to MIDI conversion can't be done directly. Although there are tools for that, they produce horrible midis that wouldn't even be similar to the original song.
Playing it (or, should I say, remake it in MIDI) would be better but I'm not a musician, sadly.

What's the title of the song? Maybe I could get an original MIDI for it.

This was the song for my Dinosaur Foot level.

Thanks for all the replies and updates. :)

The new titlepic is great. Too bad it has to be 320x200 lol. The intermission version is great too, the b&w/red contrast is neat.

What port did you use for the screenshots? Had a hard time recognizing my map with the colored lighting lol.

The MAPINFO looks all good now except for sky textures in Map 08 and 09. Should be the other way round.

14 hours ago, FractalXX said:

Updated maps, especially mine.

Nice!

Is it normal that I'm able to shoot through the transparent windows?

3 hours ago, Cyberia-Mix said:

Thanks for all the replies and updates. :)

The new titlepic is great. Too bad it has to be 320x200 lol. The intermission version is great too, the b&w/red contrast is neat.

What port did you use for the screenshots? Had a hard time recognizing my map with the colored lighting lol.

The MAPINFO looks all good now except for sky textures in Map 08 and 09. Should be the other way round.

Nice!

Is it normal that I'm able to shoot through the transparent windows?

You mean that MAP09 should have sky1 and MAP08 should have sky2, right?

I used Zandronum because it was pretty easy to take screenshots in its spectator mode.

You can also shoot through the windows in Retrofit. That's because Boom's translucent line special won't make it block everything. Also, Boom doesn't have this flag (Block Everything), just Impassable and Block Monsters.

10 hours ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

I'll look into that, although I haven't found anything, yet.

14 hours ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

Sadly, I couldn't find any midis for it. However, if you find a good midi for your level, I'll include it.

Minor texture bug spotted right at the beginning of MAP04.

Picture

As I'll be going through all the maps in the upcoming days, updates will be issued on this post.

------------------------------------------------------------

Two texture misalignments found in MAP06 (Your map, FractalXX).

One is the backside of some crates next to the red keycard door, the other one in the northmost area, the part of the wall that is initially hidden by an obstacle (it is lowered by a switch on the other side of that room).

Picture

Testing: am I doing it right?

Edited by Xabika2202

7 hours ago, FractalXX said:

You mean that MAP09 should have sky1 and MAP08 should have sky2, right?

Yes. They were fine until this update (the screenshots are fine).

You're right I totally forgot about the windows in Retrofit lol, somehow it didn't surprise me as much there.

On 2017. 06. 20. at 1:07 AM, Walter confetti said:

Thanks for finding map vertex bugs, i think that now it's all fixed (also fixed some map bugs):

http://www.mediafire.com/file/yk6jbn9s8s5b86e/dai-64.wad

Included.
Also, should I change your name in the WAD to your current forum display name? You're named differently in the project.

On 2017. 06. 20. at 11:50 PM, Cyberia-Mix said:

Yes. They were fine until this update (the screenshots are fine).

You're right I totally forgot about the windows in Retrofit lol, somehow it didn't surprise me as much there.

Fixed the skies.

1 hour ago, FractalXX said:

Included.
Also, should I change your name in the WAD to your current forum display name? You're named differently in the project.

No, thanks! Is perfect the way it is. Maybe put the "confetti" as a nickname...

On 2017. 06. 22. at 0:59 PM, Walter confetti said:

No, thanks! Is perfect the way it is. Maybe put the "confetti" as a nickname...

Alright then.

Now, it seems every scheduled fix is done, except for Careless Infection's rogue vertices.

If everything goes alright, the next update will be a "first release".

@Gustavo6046 should fix it and we're good to go.

Edited by FractalXX

I think you can ignore my map. I make better maps now and I wanted to say, someday I'll do a good 64x64 map. I guess you should look for someone else in the meantime.

41 minutes ago, Gustavo6046 said:

I think you can ignore my map. I make better maps now and I wanted to say, someday I'll do a good 64x64 map. I guess you should look for someone else in the meantime.

So, may I fix the problem myself? Or would you not like us to include the map at all?

3 hours ago, Gustavo6046 said:

The latter.

Very well. I'll remove the map, then.

In that case, we have to make a new map for that slot.

Anyone?

16 minutes ago, BeeWen said:

I'll take this slot, if possible?

Of course, go ahead.
Just keep in mind that it has to have a hellish theme to fit in the slot.

7 hours ago, BeeWen said:

I'll take this slot, if possible?

Also please try to make it easier than your other maps to fit with the difficulty progression (Maps 17-18 easy, 19-23 medium, 24+ hard).