Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FractalXX

[RELEASED] Gridlock - A community project (maps aligned to the 64 units grid)

So, after being gone for quite a while, after randomly checking back, this reminded me that I was still not 100% satisfied with the map I made, and considering I liked some suggestions, I decided to make a quick-fix of MAP31.
The yellow zone got a bit of a rework regarding the sequence of actions in order to leave the area, mainly that the "pressure plates" now give feedback (with the help of voodoos), and there is an extra one placed right before the exit (due to the closing door, that is the first to be triggered, it was done so to avoid accidental sequence-braking and getting stuck in that area, fyi; that was possible). The secret green area now has switches, thankfully they don't look too out of place.
Also done a little bit of retexturing, the stairs are now somewhat more visible in the closed areas, and the left one (leading to the blue zone) won't hurt your eyes anymore when playing on lower resolutions.

TL;DR: Am I too late with this? If not, here's an update.

Is not even "complete" yet... And people already asking for sequels!

Edited by Walter confetti

16 minutes ago, EffinghamHuffnagel said:

Is there still a working link somewhere? The OP link was at sendspace. That's long dead and @FractalXX hasn't been around in months.

Hmm, the link in the OP seems to be working fine for me. In any case, here's a mirror (Mega).

On 6/27/2020 at 8:11 AM, Walter confetti said:

Is not even "complete" yet... And people already asking for sequels!

This topic was 2 years forgotten, before doom fan necroposted, so if it's necro- it's rather dead then alive?

Nevertheless it's very interesting idea, I would be happy to participate

5 hours ago, 4MaTC said:

This topic was 2 years forgotten, before doom fan necroposted, so if it's necro- it's rather dead then alive?

Nevertheless it's very interesting idea, I would be happy to participate

Same, i'd also be interested.

Although I hate to necro, but it's relevant to the project.

The wad is now available on idgames. I uploaded it when I left years ago, but then I realized it was not accepted because of the long filename.

It also includes the fix for a bug mentioned a couple posts above. It was only a tag issue.

Again, thanks to everyone who contributed to the project and sorry for the necro.

On 4/25/2021 at 8:56 AM, FractalXX said:

Again, thanks to everyone who contributed to the project and sorry for the necro.

No problemo! Always glad to see a necropost that actually means something, in this case an idgames release. Already on to playing it right now and on MAP06 at the moment. One thing I found is the berserk pack (Thing 487) on MAP06 which I don't think there is a legitimate way of getting without noclip. Overall I'm having quite some fun here though. I'll use this post to find any other bugs to find in case another update is on the way too.

EDIT: MAP19, I was not able to get these revenants (things 195, 196, 202, 203) to teleport, they don't have ambush flag but they didn't seem to teleport to the SSG area.

And MAP20, after pressing the switch at linedef 1159 I backtracked a bit but I think I broke the boom conveyor script since I saw HOMs and got stuck.

MAP26: A cyberdemon (1034) cannot teleport since the sector with the tag 164 lacks a teleport landing. Also three mancubi (1035-1037) are completely outside the map boundaries.

Edited by NuMetalManiak : new bugs found.

A somewhat long overdue playthrough (I was asked to play this back when it first came out by @FractalXX in December 2017, but only remembered earlier this year that I'd pledged to take a look at it!), but here it is at long last on UV difficulty.

https://youtu.be/C41Ej-t31v4 = part 1. (maps 1-6, and start of map 7)

https://youtu.be/dTa78oa7Pk0 = part 2. (rest of map 7, then maps 8-15 & 31)

https://youtu.be/-rT8pCBnCm8 = part 3. (map 32, then maps 16-23)

https://youtu.be/lEvGVTI3Bk4 = part 4. (maps 24-26)

https://youtu.be/NKn5QsFMD_s = part 5. (maps 27-30)

(I had to skip map 32 after some attempts because it was broken, and the end of map 29 because it was beyond my skill level without a spare godsphere for the final fight.)

Have to be honest; map 32 came across as an unfinished mess of a map that probably shouldn't have been included in this project. Wasn't too impressed with the mapper's lack of clear direction for the orange key door progression in his map 24 either. Map 26 was also an arduous chore that thankfully ended on a high note.

Pinchy's map 15 was the highlight of Gridlock for me, followed by Beeween's map 20. (a somewhat subtle Wormhole tribute!)

A generally good community project with an interesting limitation, just fading in quality for the last few maps after map 23 (except 27 and 28).