Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MegaSphere

Your least favourite enemy?

I like most of them, but I get a bit depressed at the Pain Elemental, the Lost Souls are O.K, better in the PSX version. Just don't like having them fired at me.

I also don't like Pinkies, not because of the way they behave so much but because I'm never satisfied when killing them....It doesn't feel very fun for me.

Revenants and Pain Elementals (mainly with the former) especially because of their fast/nightmare counterparts who spew rockets and lost souls every second in succession.

Demon of the Well said:

I love all of Hell's dark children for the special brimstone ashflakes that they are. Some are difficult to use (spider mastermind) or often misused (the woefully maligned Baron), and one or two could mayhap use a minor attribute tweak (lost soul has too much HP), but all have their unique uses and a contribution to make to the game.

So I suppose my answer is something of a copout in that I'm going to pick on the poor SS Nazi, an underpowered and aesthetically asynchronous means to a joke that stopped being funny all of 1.2 seconds after the first time I heard it. They still have a unique behavior, which is good, but it's tough to impossible to use them in a 'regular' map without skewing the mood, and so they don't have the same ability to contribute that any of the other enemies do. That being said, reskin them to look like a variant of the other Doom zombies, and all's well....

so true ;)

anyway i don't see the wolfss as a true "doom monster" because he's such an obvious cameo from another game. no wonder he mostly ends up as a placeholder for custom enemies (even if it's a simple reskin into a zombieman with an assault rifle)

and lost souls wouldn't draw so much ire if they could be with 1 shell, like an imp.

schwerpunk said:

Don't hate the monster, hate the encounter.

Best advice i think. I recently played a wad with a lot of mountains and tall buildings and I bred an irrational hatred for any flying monster because they wouldn't hesitate to "climb" up everything then shoot fireballs or bite me from vertical axes far above my autoaim sights. I really like lost souls, cacodemons and pain elementals otherwise.

But it goes without saying that a good mapper can fully optimize all the monsters in a very fun and challenging way. And sometimes a wad can be so bad it will make you hate the whole game.

schwerpunk said:

Don't hate the monster, hate the encounter.

Pretty much this.

Thinking ahead is the key to success!

Only Barons when they're misplaced, fighting a Baron on it's lonesome in an open area is one of the most pointless encounters imaginable, particularly if there is ammo in the same room.

I love all the doom monsters. Every single one of them has its uses and I enjoy fighting them for every single second that I do. It's important to note, that everything I play is on UV-fast. Otherwise, the game is faaaar too easy and I would have to say that pinkies are the most useless ones (too slow and unthreatening, good meat shield for YOU to soak enemy shots). Even Zombieman sometimes hits you, without fast, pinkies are the least threatening enemy in the game. Slap on fast and you have a deadly monster that can ocasionally bite you even through chain saw/gun and surprise you with flanking attacks. I'm often forced to use my panic weapon (plasma) on hordes of them. The invisibility effect on spectres is one of the best I've seen in any game up to this day (the original blur effect, not the lame translucency in nowadays ports). I love them in completely dark areas when you actually have to listen to their roaring and determine their position based on that or just blidnly fire in fear.

I don't get the hate for Barons. Most wads I played are oversaturated with ammo (boxes of shotgun shells should have been 15, 20 is too much) and barons are one of the few, where you have to use some decent amount. Also, he's in a minority of monsters that sometimes make me use BFG. Similarly, Pains are just a high priority target, not really threatening as long as you have plasma/BFG to quickly get to them, or painlock them with rapid fire weapon (alternatively, you can just facehug them and they are harmless). You just have to stay out of their line of sight as much as possible. No reason to hate.

Just one note to revenants: Fragile as glass.

Only thing that sligthly annoys me are unsurvivable scenarios when -fast is on (heavy weapon dude ambushes that surround you with nowhere to go, etc.)

No problems with the rest. And even the invisibility sphere has its uses, you just have to think when to use it.

P. S.
YES, I call them heavy weapon dudes. Same with Supercharge, Shotgun Guy etc. Weird right?

Zombie men are useless unless you have less than 10 health.

Shotgun guys are the reason Doom 1 is hard.

Chaingunners are curse words, more-so in Plutonia.

Imps are a joke unless you're restricted in movement space, ditto Pinky demons.

Spectres are only effective in dark areas.

Lost souls are stronger than they should be and easily exploitable with the pickup block glitch.

Cacodemons are really just stronger Imps that fly and do some more damage.

Hell knights are a recolor.

Barons of Hell are BFG bait.

Arachnotrons are rocket bait.

Pain elementals can get cock-blocked.

Revenants are needlessly agitated.

Mancubi are grossly obese.

Arch-viles are very exploitable with pillar blocking and fire jumping.

Spider masterminds are BFG bait, ditto Cyberdemons too.

Not all of this post was serious.

Cyanosis said:

Zombie men are useless unless you have less than 10 health.

Shotgun guys are the reason Doom 1 is hard.

Chaingunners are curse words, more-so in Plutonia.

Imps are a joke unless you're restricted in movement space, ditto Pinky demons.

Spectres are only effective in dark areas.

Lost souls are stronger than they should be and easily exploitable with the pickup block glitch.

Cacodemons are really just stronger Imps that fly and do some more damage.

Hell knights are a recolor.

Barons of Hell are BFG bait.

Arachnotrons are rocket bait.

Pain elementals can get cock-blocked.

Revenants are needlessly agitated.

Mancubi are grossly obese.

Arch-viles are very exploitable with pillar blocking and fire jumping.

Spider masterminds are BFG bait, ditto Cyberdemons too.

Not all of this post was serious.

Nice explaining, dude :)

I'll go with lost souls. Too big (giant head), too much HP. I like their behavior mechanically, but it doesn't *feel* right.

Arch-vile , simply because I still seem to get owned by it despite playing DooM for 20 fking years.

All of you PE haters are insane. The Pain Elemental is an amazing monster.

Every monster has its place, but it's awfully rare to see the Mastermind actually used well. I'm not a huge fan of the Spectre, either.

Doom could use more archvile- and PE- and CG-like monsters. Especially archviles. So versatile.

I kind of want to jump up to MBF and just crank up the weird attack patterns. Sacrifice the imp and bruiser and caco fireballs for ones that are like 3x as fast or more and go HAM with the crossfire, like Valiant but on steroids. I want my wide-open spaces to be threatening battle locales without having to resort to the same limited number of ideas or high monster counts. It's a shame that prBoom+ doesn't have a Decorate-style system -- I'm not returning to ZDoom.

Even simpler would be some sort of way to make partial invisibility always-on but without affecting the player sprites.

It'd be really cool if there was a monster whose projectile functioned like the "double corner"* lasers that some of the tougher bosses in the Darius series fire.

Pretty sure it's impossible to do in Dehacked, though. Probably tough even in Decorate.

*(For those who aren't familiar, the "corner lasers" in the Darius games are lasers that travel in a straight line until they're directly above or below your ship, then turn 90 degress up or down and fire in a straight line in that direction. A few bosses have lasers that turn the corner twice -- that is, they'll turn up or down once when they're directly above or below you, and then, if you dodge that, they'll do another 90 degree turn when they're directly left or right of you, to make you dodge them a third time.)

rdwpa said:

I kind of want to jump up to MBF and just crank up the weird attack patterns. Sacrifice the imp and bruiser and caco fireballs for ones that are like 3x as fast or more and go HAM with the crossfire, like Valiant but on steroids.

You don't need MBF to do merely this, it's doable in vanilla DEHACKED too.

rdwpa said:

Even simpler would be some sort of way to make partial invisibility always-on but without affecting the player sprites.

See where you asked this question in Doom Editing, I answered it.

Thanks, it works. And it's making normally-trivial fights somewhat fun, at least to me.

scifista42 said:

You don't need MBF to do merely this, it's doable in vanilla DEHACKED too.
See where you asked this question in Doom Editing, I answered it.

I'd use MBF if I did that so that the roster of monsters could be fairly large.

Cynical said:

All of you PE haters are insane. The Pain Elemental is an amazing monster.

Every monster has its place, but it's awfully rare to see the Mastermind actually used well. I'm not a huge fan of the Spectre, either.

^^ <3 Cynical

I do love Spectres, though.

Hey, when's your next punishment-fest coming out? Life's turning into shit and I was thinking about killing myself, but then I remembered your maps and I feel better knowing I'm not currently playing them, but the old ones are starting to become possible so I need a new dominatrix to keep me grounded.

Fonze said:

Hey, when's your next punishment-fest coming out? Life's turning into shit and I was thinking about killing myself, but then I remembered your maps and I feel better knowing I'm not currently playing them, but the old ones are starting to become possible so I need a new dominatrix to keep me grounded.

Probably never. I had a third in the works, and I *think* I still have the wad file for it (not 100% certain -- there's been a reformat since I last worked on it -- but I'm pretty sure it was in my backups), but setting up and balancing some of the combat scenarios I had planned would be a massive pain in the ass, and I also didn't really have a good idea for a finale.

Plus, I'm too busy with other stuff these days to spend time on mapping.

Besides, it doesn't really matter; there's plenty of mappers who do a better job of "me" than I do. Ribbiks's newer stuff, rdwpa, 2012-and-newer Joshy, Darkreaver, and Mouldy all pretty much make me obsolete. Demonologist and Dannaebubinga as well, to a lesser extent (their styles are a bit further apart from mine than the mappers listed above, but they're still somewhat similar, and their quality of output is far higher.)

True; any time I want to remember how nice life is I can always play Italo-Doom.

Still, I hope one day you do return to mapping and hopefully you're busy in a good way :)