Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZeroMaster010

Doom 2 on Nightmare in 24:36 (30nm2436)

Doom 2 D2All NM-Speed in 24:36

Thanks to those who stopped by the stream, wasn't expecting to get this so soon!

I've written yet another lenghty .txt attached with the demo for those interested.

And thanks to Henning and others for their effort into 30nm category!

Enjoy :)

Also, if someone could please explain how\why the first BFG I used on map 23 works, that would be appreciated :)

30nm2436.zip

ZeroMaster010 said:

Also, if someone could please explain how\why the first BFG I used on map 23 works, that would be appreciated :)

I don't think it's anything complicated. You fired it south (the fireball was emitted before you teleported) and so the tracers came out in a southerly direction.

Congratulations on another massive barrier torn down, excellent job!

Also rofl @ the bfg noobery. You need some DM practice. :)

I figured the BFG secondary would only hit in your line of vision, with maximum amount of tracers if you maintain the same angle as the BFG was fired from. So I know that I fire it it 1 direction and the tracers come out in that direction, but they do not come out from my field of view so I figured it would be 0 damage done by the tracers.

Edit: Hah! alright! I see... I have never noticed this at all, I must have misread something somewhere so I got it all confussed. Still things to learn about this game that are completely obvious :)))

Reading the txt file.

"...

It's been about 3-4 years since I started a short attempt at doing some doom 2 on nightmare.

I didn't pick up doom before 1-2 years later, you can read more about that in
my first demo, 30pl2523.txt.

..."

When did you start playing Doom seriously, 2 years ago?

30pl2523 was done in 7 weeks iirc, the demo was done on 16.08.2014.

Start of 2014 I played plutonia, a few months later I played TNT, before that I played doom 1 and doom 2 sometime after 95 I guess (no idea if I actually completed them), before I played through them again some 7 years ago.

Cool, I started playing Doom recently (late 2014, early 2015). I'll take this as inspiration.

A few questions:

1) I'm a fan of the casual backward jumps e.g. in map13, from the ledge of one building to another. I'm assuming those are easy, especially with practice, but how often do you mess those up?

2) I'm not an experienced enough pure speed demo-watcher to understand the difference between the way SR-40 and SR-50 look (I mostly watch max runs). How often do you use SR-50, and if so, how much time does it save overall roughly? Also, I notice that you sometimes will move forward to grab an object or something and then back up without turning, before finally turning some time later -- a somewhat unnatural- (but cool-)looking motion. Is that the sort of thing you actually route out, or does it sort of ossify by habit once you've run a route several times.

rdwpa said:

the difference between the way SR-40 and SR-50 look ... how much time does it save overall roughly?

I gave the figures here.

Ah yes, until 2014 I had only played doom with keyboard only myself.

In the case of map 13 you just run backwards, sometimes I fail because monster blocks me or projectile hits.

SR50 is about 11% faster than SR40 or rather sqrt(2*50^2)/sqrt(40^2+50^2), but since it keeps your angle locked it is hardly useful to save time unless you are running down a straight path with no monsters in the way for at least say a second, or lower if you get good at it. In longers runs you might end up losing more time than you save because you bumped into something when you didn't need to. Map 31 is an obvious case of a lot of SR50, I don't know how often I use it on other maps, but I try to include it as much as possible, even though it might not save me any time.

Heh, it's actually something I do because I like the style, I like moving backwards when possible and trying to turn as little as possible. ClumsyDoomer's plutonia TAS has a style that I find very nice, and I try to do similar things as often as possible. I would say it's a bit of both really, but I'm not sure. Unfortunately it's hardly useful in most cases, so it's a bit hard to include, so I am surprised you even noticed.

ZeroMaster010 said:

SR50 is about 11% faster than SR40 or rather sqrt(2*50^2)/sqrt(40^2+50^2), but since it keeps your angle locked it is hardly useful to save time unless you are running down a straight path with no monsters in the way for at least say a second, or lower if you get good at it.

That's where the right mouse button setup comes in handy - I can finetune my movement and still sr50 for any short straight stretch of the run. Then again, it comes with its own downsides. For single player speedrunning the main one is obviously less precision, which is very noticeable during extreme precision demanding tricks. "Surprisingly" it's fairly difficult to press two keys with one hand and press the RMB and drag the mouse with the other hand at the exact same time, heh. The optimal solution would be to use both the precise keyboard setup and the flexible mouse one for different situations, but holy crap does that get confusing.

ZeroMaster010 said:

Hah! alright! I see... I have never noticed this at all, I must have misread something somewhere so I got it all confussed. Still things to learn about this game that are completely obvious :)))

Actually, the BFG cone behaviour is anything but obvious, especially since the advanced trickery is almost never needed in single player. It's your daily bread and butter for classic dueling though, so DM players tend to be aware of it.

Here is a very simple and explanatory basic guide with links to a more indepth analysis at the bottom.

That looked really solid run, congratulations. Btw, did you try the map15 normal exit? I think it could be a bit more reasonable on NM than on UV because map31 is slower on NM and you have more cells. What's with the map16 glide? :P (You did it sideways!)

The map23 line def skip requires minimum of 16 speed because it is towards south. Your speed was 16.28418 (south) so there was only 0.28~ distance for error.

dew said:

Here is a very simple and explanatory basic guide with links to a more indepth analysis at the bottom.

Doesn't the area where the BFG hits, in the second last picture(gif), turn a bit towards the original shot?

Like this http://i.imgur.com/tRchzF3.jpg

Thanks! I have not tried the normal exit for map 15, I've always just assumed it would be either more difficult or slower, but I should still check that out (even though I don't plan on doing this again anytime soon). There is a megasphere that doesn't take too long to grab on that route iirc.

Map 16 glide might actually be my biggest mistake in the whole run. There are like 10 different methods to do this glide, plan A failed which was to SR50 into the gap and use some vertical mouse movement in the backwards direction to get through. I had a good UV run once where I died because I couldn't get through facing the gap directly, sideways is just a bit slower, but I think it's harder to fail, especially under pressure.

Oh I see, I didn't know you needed to be at least 16 units away from the linedef, now I understand why they are so random, like teleporter after megasphere on map 25, simply having a certain high speed doesn't gurantee skipping it.

There's only three words to describe this. Flawless,smooth and fast. Awesome demo zeromaster.