Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Beed28

[Vanilla] Texture help

I'm trying to make a 728x128 size texture show up properly in Vanilla Doom. The first two thirds appears fine, but the last third is garbled up and almost tutti-frutti like. Even in PrBoom+, it doesn't show properly, it only shows the first two thirds before it tiles. It appears fine in GZDoom Builder and GZDoom.

The texture is 728x128 big and consists of only one patch. I need it to be one patch as I want to use it as a mid-texture, otherwise Medusa will occur.

Textures have to be a power of 2 wide, I'm pretty sure.

Vanilla also has a limit on how big a texture patch can be: it can't be more than 64KB or so I think?

Thanks. I had no idea patches had to be limited in KB. I'll do some more experimenting tomorrow.

Linguica said:

Apparently it only applies to composite textures, so it actually wouldn't affect your trying to make a big single-patch one anyway.

There is also the in-wad limit on the size of patches.

Beed28 said:

I need it to be one patch as I want to use it as a mid-texture, otherwise Medusa will occur.

Medusa won't occur even if you compose your texture of multiple patches, provided that no 2 patches occupy the same vertical column. Look at GSTONE1 for example. It consists of 4 patches and it's proof of Medusa effect anyway. On the other hand, LITE3 has multiple patches that never overlap same areas, but they are above each other, so the texture will suffer from Medusa effect.

scifista42 said:

Medusa won't occur even if you compose your texture of multiple patches, provided that no 2 patches occupy the same vertical column. Look at GSTONE1 for example. It consists of 4 patches and it's proof of Medusa effect anyway. On the other hand, LITE3 has multiple patches that never overlap same areas, but they are above each other, so the texture will suffer from Medusa effect.

Wow, I didn't know that! Great information!