Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
raymoohawk

vader's fleshspawn as new lost soul?

a long while ago i contacted vader to see if i could use his flesh spawn as part of a monster i was making, in the exchange i asked him if it had been made from scratch and he said it had been. so what do yall think?

the current lost soul sprite is pretty good too of course, but so is this one and it has just the appearence you would expect of an annoying dumb critter like the lost soul. so if you want i can ask him if hes okay with it been used

That monster looks real good and has the advantage of not looking inspired by the lost soul at all, unlike the current soul replacement.

I think the flesh spawn would fit well, especially since it could be a distant relative of Freedoom's worm monster, based on its appearance.

And yes, fredrik's Skullflare (I think that's what it's called), although undoubtedly of good quality, has the "disadvantage" of being too similar to the Lost Soul conceptually.

I think this is a wonderful idea, I've wondered why freedoom sill had the current replacement since it's sip similar. Brings the question of what to replace the pain elemental with, though I'm sure Ray can think of something cool and creepy.

it might look a bit awkward using it though since the fleshspawn leaves a corpse, while the lost soul dissipates in the air.

about the corpse, we dont actually have to use all the frames, we could make a new death where it just bursts without leaving a corpse

death egg, i already designed the new pain elemental, i have a rotation done, but i need to size it down a bit and decide is i want to make it more colorful, after that it should be done quickly since the low frame count makes the pain elemental the easiest monster to replace .

so if no one is against it then i will be contacting vader about this

Doomhuntress said:

it might look a bit awkward using it though since the fleshspawn leaves a corpse, while the lost soul dissipates in the air.

Could always have someone just make a new death sequence.

i was thinking that the fire thingy that you see between the 2 horns is the thing that summons the lost soul. i was actually thinking about redoing the regualr teleportation sprites into something that looks kinda like that since the current ones are kinda underwhelming

looks cool!

But it feels wrong seeing a flying ball with teeth.
How about some small skeletal wings?

Voros said:

looks cool!

But it feels wrong seeing a flying ball with teeth.
How about some small skeletal wings?

O_o? So what about the Cacodemon and Pain Elemental?

reminder that lost soul sprites are full bright. it will be weird to look at a big meat ball in the dark.

hmm what comes to mind are glowing "mini volcanoes" around the monster and a glowing mouth (a very pale green). i also thought it could have smoke coming out of these "volcanoes", you decide if this is a good idea or not.

i like the sound of that, i am rushing the pain elemental right now, so when i am done with it i'll look into trying out the idea

All things considered (using DEH in particular for mapnames), the FULLBRIGHT could probably just be unset through the same Dehacked nonsense.

BaronOfStuff said:

the FULLBRIGHT could probably just be unset through the same Dehacked nonsense.

Yeah it could, though I like having a monster that you can always see in the dark.

sgtcrispy said:

O_o? So what about the Cacodemon and Pain Elemental?

I always thought of them as giant hot air balloons.
Edit 1 year later: Did I really say that?

Who said it has be realistic? Any form of wings would work.

I love Vader's flesh spawn. I suppose the lost soul being transparent in some sourceports wouldn't be much of a problem since the flesh spawn has a gelatinous, gooey look to it. It being fullbright could be explained like "It comes from another dimension"(summoned by the pain elementals), or "it's radioctive" or something like that.

I'm thinking that some sort of flying jellyfish monster would fit the lost soul well. Full brightness would be explained by bioluminescence, and transparency would be explained by, well, being a jellyfish.