Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
years

Nihility: Infinite Teeth [Shareware Episode] v1.21

Linedef 729 on M6 opens the entire map, because the tag is still 0.

Really enjoyed the episode up to this point. Kamikaze guys have a great activation sound, and they're so much more unsettling with it instead of their typical continuous yelling.

I only just started playing this wad yesterday. There's something about using sound effects to portray atmosphere instead of music with the use of lighting and mood. Gives me the creeps at times but..I love it! I hope to see this become that full 36 level megawad one day. Using the alpha/beta resources coupled with dehacked is icing on that cake giving me that feeling of "this is what Doom could've been" in some other timeline. Please sir, I want some more.

By the powers infested in me, I f*ckin await more of Nihility! Glad to hear you are back and working on it. Will you keep up with the Alpha/Beta Motif you got going from E2 though? How it all comes together seems to hit the nostalgic moments I had growing up with these gritty and spooky fps's. In a way this reminds me of how I used to play Quake and forgot the CD contained music back in the day. (Not to mention barely knowing much about computers, I had to find out how to get the music to play, and silly me, there was a cable that piped music from the CD that plugged into the mobo, I always thought the IDE ribbon cable did it alone but nope.)

FWIW, I don't think there's anything wrong with the homages in this episode. Someone might have a religious predisposition against copying IWAD geometry, but I think it was done tastefully, took a few seconds to recognize, and overall increased the episode's weird nightmare feel.

Looks like the protagonist played Doom at some point in his life.

If I was to speak about the episode as a whole, my only criticizm (that I can remember at this point) is that it gets very grindy towards the end. That feeling of "oh god not again" when you open another room choke-full of monsters both trash and fat. Ultimate Doom levels are sort of infamous for this, but I don't remember it to the same degree in any other modern UD episodes I've binge-played lately.

Edited by Da Werecat

Hey there, while replaying this for the megawadclub I noticed that you can skip most of the ending battle on M2, it didn't seem that this was reported. Standing on sector 260 you can press from below the switch to raise the platform and reach the exit. I suggest to swap the switch on linedef 1298 to be placed on linedef 1338 to avoid that.

So glad to hear this is being worked on again, this is one of my all-time favorite wads!

Going for a slight bump here. It's wonderful to hear work is proceeding on this again (I thought it was abandoned), the E2 'shareware' is one of my very favorite .wads ever, and in my opinion, the coolest episode replacement ever made for the original game. It makes me really happy to know there's more in the future.

If you ever need some help with sprite/texture/flat editing, or just level testing, I'd be eager to help!

On iwad homages, I never thought of them as a bad thing, for Infinite Teeth it kind of feels fitting, because it almost feels like a twisted fork of Doom's alpha/beta from another dimension, like the game took a completely different direction.

Bumping again, initially to mention the door switch in E2M6 being tagged 0 so the entire level becomes a door, but it seems people actually mentioned that.

I guess I'll just ask if there's a list for thingnames or something, and what each new object replaces, because the baron of hell fireballs colored red still has a green dynamic light attached to them in GzDoom.

I'd like to make a little patch for this so that the green fireballs have a green shine, and the red fireballs have a red shine.

Still one of my absolute favorites. Still looking forward for more, hope you got your PC troubles solved.

Apologies for the bump, but I haven't seen this bug documented or mentioned elsewhere. There's a softlock on E2M7 on the Easy skills because the Red Skull Key is only flagged for medium and hard.

I've been playing through this in ZDoom with a controller, which has paired great with skill 2 for me (I think I want to test all my projects' Easy difficulties this way tbh). Otherwise the WAD is a fantastic experience, as we all know!

image.png.63ed63ffbeede431737b643d53f87860.png