Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
roadworx

i made my first WAD!

That actually wasn't horrible....it was really small, but it was a bunch of really good stabs in the direction of level construction. I liked the depth of the decorations, the use of triggers...the chaingun guy who comes down on that pillar thing. In that hallway you start in, you have one of those line-thin sprite walls I haven't mentioned to get into my levels yet. I'm actually going to be looking at your level to see what you did.

You're doing great kid, keep it up.

volumetricsteve said:

That actually wasn't horrible....it was really small, but it was a bunch of really good stabs in the direction of level construction. I liked the depth of the decorations, the use of triggers...the chaingun guy who comes down on that pillar thing. In that hallway you start in, you have one of those line-thin sprite walls I haven't mentioned to get into my levels yet. I'm actually going to be looking at your level to see what you did.

You're doing great kid, keep it up.

welp
never expected to see that as the first reply

Pretty neat, you have some nice little micro details here and there. There isn't a whole to say, as it is too small and easy to really judge anything. My suggestion would be to just keep expanding on it so you can start implementing health, more weapons and enemies etc. also play around with the lighting, make it dark in the tighter hallways and bright around the nukage and light sources, it will add a lot of life to the map.

As for bugs, take the lower-unpegged off the floor that lowers with the chaingunner on it, there is a HOM when going down the lift and the final imp seems to be stuck.

Otherwise, I would say it's cute.

Really not bad for a my-first-map. Two things - One is a mapping error and the other is just standard mapping .. err .. standards.

http://imgur.com/a/azx53

The Imp in the first picture is clipped into the wall and can't attack the player.

The Gate textures in the second picture are meant to be used as midtextures - so these would look much better if you used them as such and had 3 to 5 small sectors behind them with diminishing brightness, opposed to just flat black.

tomocean22 said:

The Gate textures in the second picture are meant to be used as midtextures - so these would look much better if you used them as such and had 3 to 5 small sectors behind them with diminishing brightness, opposed to just flat black.

k, noted!

Not bad! It was a fun little WAD to play through. :)

A couple of things to note:

Firstly, the platform that the chaingunner descends from, don't have those linedefs set to upper and lower unpegged--it'll look much better.

Secondly, there's a hall of mirrors here:

Also, if you want a bit of a tip! I'm not sure if you know this already, but if you're using GZDoom Builder, you can select the walls you want in 3d view and press Ctrl-A to automatically align them horizontally and vertically. Of course, this doesn't always net you perfect results, and if you've already gone through the process of aligning stuff manually it can ruin some things; but it's a good first step in texture alignment, after which you can supplement it with manual alignment to perfect the details. You can also use Shift-A to just align the textures vertically, and A to align them horizontally.