Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Articles from GamesRadar and PCGames.de (New screenshots included)

DooM_RO said:

You need to take in mind technical limitations. If you herd monsters in one room and the next too then you will bring the framerate to its knees.

Doesn't make me feel any better about it.

The hell section definitely seemed like a sectioned off arena; enemies kept appearing (likely jumping from the cliffs and coming in through doors like the Mancubus)
Although it ends with the player starting to go down a little corridor that gets interrupted by the Cyberdemon, we don't know if thats the way to go or if there's something blocking the path that maybe the Cyberdemon knocks out of the way, only after all the enemies are killed.

Are you sure the translation you gave is correct?

"fast, linear action"
What?

"arena style"
WTF, those games only are fun for the first time (mostly)

WTF happened? Is that article even right?

DooM_RO said:

Well then how could they improve it?!

Well by not basing the whole game on this type of thing may be a good place to start. That's not Doom. It's Serious Sam. That's what I was worried about in the first place when they kept talking about the arenas of the campaign but I was hoping they just meant an openish area in a room where a good battle may take place.Wasn't exactly expecting them to close you off against a horde throughout the game. Although I do believe what the verticallity will make this fun. Just as long as we don't get some bullshit painkiller/ serious sam style game when it's all said and done which I don't think we will, but it just sounds kinda weird. Especially when the keycards are supposedly back..

MrDeAD1313 said:

Well by not basing the whole game on this type of thing may be a good place to start. That's not Doom. It's Serious Sam. That's what I was worried about in the first place when they kept talking about the arenas of the campaign but I was hoping they just meant an openish area in a room where a good battle may take place.Wasn't exactly expecting them to close you off against a horde throughout the game. Although I do believe what the verticallity will make this fun. Just as long as we don't get some bullshit painkiller/ serious sam style game when it's all said and done which I don't think we will, but it just sounds kinda weird. Especially when the keycards are supposedly back..

Again, it's probably because of technical limitations. You don't want players to horde one group of 20 monsters from one room and then another 20 in another. It would bring the game to its knees. Then people would start complaining why Id didn't do something about it when in reality it's more of a hardware problem. The verticality and open ended nature of the arenas make this an acceptable compromise. Not ideal but acceptable. Marty said that the player mostly stayed in the lower part of the Hell area.

I don't think that problem in limitations. Look at Rage and TNO/TOB for example.
Maybe is translation thing, maybe arenas will be from place to place, not everywhere. Still, who the hell is that guys who prayed to make painkiller from new doom? There is some arena\traps moments in doom 1\2 and 64. Maybe they mean that is whole level or level parts works as one big arenas? Withs traps that shut down player with demons or something like that? Because they talk about unlinear levels, "push forward action" and other stuff that don't look like they belong to typical arena style game.

p.s. I still clean demons before move along in doom, this may be the case thing?
p.p.s. sorry for engrish

GameInformer didn't say anything about the game feeling like going from arena to another. Perhaps the arenas are used well enough (and not constantly) for player not to feel like the game is just transitioning from one arena to another.

LANEGRACABRA said:

GameInformer didn't say anything about the game feeling like going from arena to another. Perhaps the arenas are used well enough (and not constantly) for player not to feel like the game is just transitioning from one arena to another.

`
That's exactly what I'm thinking. Maybe they are using ways to not make it obvious but at the moment we can't know for sure.

Guys I think you are blowing this out of proportion slightly. When id talk about "arenas", I'm pretty sure based on what we've seen they are referring to pretty large areas of a map, as opposed to a single room. Look at the Hell map we've seen - that combat area was pretty big with multiple tiers and caves and bits.

There has been no real evidence of doors slamming shut and locking ala Painkiller, and the devs have mentioned plenty of times about how speed and flow of combat are key things in this game, and how the spaces ahve been designed so you can move freely (Marty referred to them as almost like skateparks).

You're also basing a lot of this off a rough translation from a german article (no offense tuo).

I know, but still. "linear" started to make me worry about the true face of DOOM.
I'm fine with what people said about it being like this:

[arena 1]->[kill or escape]->[arena 2]->[kill or escape]->etc. It certainly would put less strain on hardware. But lockdowns, would ruin everything, forcing you to kill all the demons to proceed, when sometimes, you don't want to. Although, by constantly spawning demons for a selected time period to keep the player under pressure, thus unable to proceed forward without getting shot at, could be called linear.

Spoiler

The Hell level from E3 probably was like that, since the Cyberdemon spawned after Doomguy killed all the spawned demons and walked towards that small tunnel. Although we can't really be sure.

AirRaid said:

Guys I think you are blowing this out of proportion slightly. When id talk about "arenas", I'm pretty sure based on what we've seen they are referring to pretty large areas of a map, as opposed to a single room. Look at the Hell map we've seen - that combat area was pretty big with multiple tiers and caves and bits.

That's always been my interpretation of the 'arenas' bit they've talked about.

Voros said:

Are you sure the translation you gave is correct?

"fast, linear action"
What?

"arena style"
WTF, those games only are fun for the first time (mostly)

WTF happened? Is that article even right?

I only translated. I had my eyebrows up a couple times myself when listening to this, and I wouldn't get too angry yet.

For all we know, they played only a couple of levels, maybe two of them had arenas in them? (they exist, iD talks about them all the time).

The same with aiming-down-the-sight. Wasn't this in the gameplay footage? And he says it's not in the game.

And yes, he clearly says "fast, linear action", only to continue and explain how big and complex the levels are.

So take everything with a pinch of salt. You know, only because someone writes for a games magazine does not mean he knows what he is doing ;) Some of the stuff told in the interview I can't really imagine to be in the final game or at least be dominant.

Edit: I'm stupid, there is no aiming-down-the-sight in the gameplay footage. I could have sworn there was a sequence where he aimed with the machine gun.

DooM_RO said:

Don't have the time for a full translation at the moment, but I can give some fast facts:

- when turning around quick, similar texture pop-in as in Rage
- no mega-texture
- texture pop-in not as visible of you run straight forward, only when you turn and "you are searching for it"
- in another sentence he says, and I translate correctly:
iD Software is aware of the issue, but says it is not their target to get rid of it, as other games have it as well and it's fine there. (I highly doubt this, especially since two interviews before the same guy said the are working to reduce texture pop-in until release)
- graphics are much more colorful than in past iD games, they are similar to Doom 1 and 2
- graphics are very good, but not top-notch
- plastic look of Doom 3 and Rage is gone
- multiplayer is slightly less detailed than single player to definitely guarantee constant 60 fps all the time on consoles (I don't understand this...you use prefabs for both multiplayer levels and singleplayer levels...do they exist in two editions regarding world complexity???)
- doom will not offer classic mod tools at first (Straton said that it MIGHT come later, but nothing is decided at the moment)
- lots of talk about snapmap, but not much new stuff, I think most of it has been covered. Mentions different multiplayer modes, tower modes etc. Levels can be shared between platforms.
- to show how flexible it is, one developer created a music tool in snap map, where you can play different tunes when stepping on different tiles, another one implemented an ingame weapon shop where you can walk up to a screen, and select which weapon you want
-

tuo said:

- fast, linear action, mouse and keyboard controls felt absolutely great

They say "geradlinige Action", which I would translate as straightforward action. "Geradlinig" means straight, no-nonense. Not linear in the sense of level design, this would be a translation error.

- double-jump and a jetpack (???) offer much more vertical movement

They say the jetpack is an upgrade that enables the double-jump feature.

AirRaid said:

There has been no real evidence of doors slamming shut and locking ala Painkiller, and the devs have mentioned plenty of times about how speed and flow of combat are key things in this game, and how the spaces ahve been designed so you can move freely (Marty referred to them as almost like skateparks).

You're also basing a lot of this off a rough translation from a german article (no offense tuo).

Yeah I guess you're right. I had to go back and watch the e3 stuff again. But you have to admit that was a pretty disheartening thing to read at first :(

Tetzlaff said:

They say "geradlinige Action", which I would translate as straightforward action. "Geradlinig" means straight, no-nonense. Not linear in the sense of level design, this would be a translation error.

Yeah, after thinking about it, you are right.

While the translation of "linear" is not completely wrong
(http://www.dict.cc/deutsch-englisch/geradlinig.html)
the intent of the original sentence is changed when you read it in english.

Sorry for that. Straightforward is the correct translation in this regard, and was a mistake I made.

Tetzlaff said:

They say the jetpack is an upgrade that enables the double-jump feature.

When do they say that? In the first interview, he basically said "there is a jetpack, and a double-jump" and then "with the jetpack, you can hover a bit and jump further".

Is it later down the interview and I missed it?

Caffeine Freak said:

That's always been my interpretation of the 'arenas' bit they've talked about.

They refer to them as "Skate Parks" in the GamePro article I believe. Granted they fully admit they're arenas, they seem to be taking a repayable approach to their design. I'm actually surprised people missed it in this forum. I don't have time to find it at the moment, but will try later.

Flesh420 said:

They refer to them as "Skate Parks" in the GamePro article I believe. Granted they fully admit they're arenas, they seem to be taking a repayable approach to their design. I'm actually surprised people missed it in this forum. I don't have time to find it at the moment, but will try later.

IIRC it was in the main single-player interview accompanying the release of the latest single-player material (ressource processing map and hell map). They talked about the many different ways (of movement and approach) to tackle these "arenas", like in a skate part, again IIRC.

tuo said:

When do they say that? In the first interview, he basically said "there is a jetpack, and a double-jump" and then "with the jetpack, you can hover a bit and jump further".

He says: "es gibt ein Jetpack und man kann jetzt so einen Doppelsprung machen" - "there is a jetpack and now you can do that double-jump". Okay, it's not completely clear but I interprete it that way that the latter is because of the first. He also compares it to the jetpack in Titan Fall - anyone played this game?

My guess is its not a jetpack.

Some abilities are unlocked as you progress in the game. For example you had "grapple gloves" and "jump boots" in your inventory in the Doom4 alpha. Yes it requires some console play but you can request a listing.

My guess is that that is what they are referring to in the article. You start out not being able to double jump, then get the jumpboots "upgrade" and now you have a "new" ability in the form of being able to doublejump. A full jetpack sounds rather lame for Doom4; I hope that wont be present.

tuo said:

The same with aiming-down-the-sight. Wasn't this in the gameplay footage? And he says it's not in the game.

There's no catch-all ADS mechanic for all guns, but one or two of them can have scopes. The Machinegun can have a scope as a mod, and there's a Sniper Rifle type gun which is MP only (and pretty useless).

AirRaid said:

and there's a Sniper Rifle type gun which is MP only (and pretty useless)

I'd rather have a Railgun, but that's more of a Quake II/III thing... doesn't really belong in Doom TBQH.

quakke said:

wow wow WOW!

Please id, get this shit out of the game asap. It's fine if you use it couple of times in the game, like maybe in a boss encounter or something but please don't turn this into Painkiller or Shadow Warrior reboot. That's not Doom and you know it.

actually i can argue, that i've seen this many times in those megawad that i've played, it's very common to activate a switch and be sorrounded by a shitload of monsters, or open a door and many monster teleport there

talking about classic doom and doom 2 here, i think it's it will be the same with this new doom

Amph said:

lol his face here could be a very good doomguy face, dunno why

Further proof for my Stratton is Doomguy having overthrown id theory!

Amph said:

talking about classic doom and doom 2 here, i think it's it will be the same with this new doom

You do realize those are fan-made, right? By that logic Sonic will also be in the new Doom, because Super Sonic Doom exists. Regardless of if the classic games actually had a Sonic in them or not.