Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MaxRideWizardLord

Weird thread about the monster face textures

Have you ever noticed the beautiful done images (posters) of Arch-Viles, Hell Knight\Baron of Hell on stone walls around Doom2 (and alike mods\iwads) games??

Here is a thought, WHY would you potray a well known Hell Knight\Baron of hell all around in doom games, especially so huge posters and so many of them, elegantly carve on stone rocks\walls by the art master?? That's like a pawn of war, one of the most common private soldier in whole war. Sure, Baron of Hell could be a lieutenant, but I doubt that is still worth so much fame.

So here is an idea. What if there is not a whole Arch-Vile and Baron of Hell\Hell Knight protrayed as a race, but some individual Arch-Vile\Baron of Hell\Icon of Sin\Hell Knight with his own personality and history, be that some great Scientist Arch-Vile, Discoverer Hell Knight, The Great Theologist Baron of Hell, Great Subjective\Objective Idealistic Philosopher "Icon of Sin", or even General Baron of Hell that saved Phobos\Hell from flithy vile marines\doomers invasion. But because we are all dirty spoiled racists, we tend to think that all Arch-Viles are exact the same just like any other, and when we look at those posters, we all think "they all look the same like copy\paste of same sprite", and yet some Great Philosopher "Icon of Sin" is different from the Great Mathematician and Scientist "Icon of Sin", and they didn't even thought that one day once doomguys will invade, they will be that prim and stiff to believe that it's just "one being". After all, same "Arch-Vile", "Icon of Hell", "Hell Knight" are all just nicknames ignorant marines gave them, and even give "red" being and "white" one a different names as a whole race, those freaking spoiled dirty ignorant racists.

Your opinion??

I think my favorite part was...

MaxRideWizardLord said:

... The Great Theologist Baron of Hell,

Remember kids, every imp you kill could totally have been the next Jesus. Which means you done f*cked up... Or the next Hitler, in which case ya done good. Point is, always make sure to ask every demon their political, philosophical, and religious beliefs before blasting their brains all over the walls, thus preventing any further intelligent conversation.

Fonze said:

I think my favorite part was...

Remember kids, every imp you kill could totally have been the next Jesus. Which means you done f*cked up... Or the next Hitler, in which case ya done good. Point is, always make sure to ask every demon their political, philosophical, and religious beliefs before blasting their brains all over the walls, thus preventing any further intelligent conversation.

I'm pretty sure Pain Elemental is anti abortion and Arch-Vile believes in free healthcare.

Yes, Billy the Baron was known to be a great philosopher since classical antiquity. He also helped get demon equality set in motion, before that time it was hell! And than there was Archie the Arch-Vile, he was the inventor of teleportation. And Ivan, or better known as The Icon of Sin, he was a great emperor known for exploring the world and spreading civilization. And Doomguy, he's just a meanie who has a grudge.

Is that where you pay all of your money, mortgage the house, sell the car, quit drugs (in that order), then pay out that extra money just to get past the first level?

What Arch-Vile images? (I'm serious).

And the Baron/Hellknight images?
Well two reasons.
1- They are considered important, high ranking and special.
Like the Prophets from Halo, puppets of the true boss.

2- It looks cool.

Voros said:

What Arch-Vile images? (I'm serious).

And the Baron/Hellknight images?
Well two reasons.
1- They are considered important, high ranking and special.
Like the Prophets from Halo, puppets of the true boss.

2- It looks cool.

I think he's talking about the marble faces texture...

Well, they could just be ads for a restaurant ;-)

walter confalonieri said:

I think he's talking about the marble faces texture...

I know. But I didn't see any Arch-Vile ones... Wait.

Were those oval head textures them?

I wish monster data was a little easier to edit, and you'd probably see more named variations of the typical monsters in wads, like Ludovic von Dollars with a million hitpoints (and dollars).

Voros said:

Yes! If you can look closely the heads shape are similar!

I thought that OP. At first i didn't understand they even represented the monsters, and guessed they were random nameless personalities of hell that you never met.

The actual size of hell in Doom is never really defined, so it just seemed like it expanded almost limitlessly in all directions with no real boss, just chaotic hell spawn. Even the Icon of Sin just seems like another bad guy, although a much more powerful one.

Egregiously friggin quite. I absolutely agree with everything there, just not fully with the Icon of Sin part which would be the only thing not 100% identical to my haedcanon, in which there are many Icons indeed but they're all belonging to one relatively consistent linked consciousness that also owns all other organs, like all the flesh textures in general. This is also perfectly consistent with my haedcanon of Egregious Ease of Experiencing Everlasting Egregore Expenditures, as well as rael life.

My vanilla megawad is compliant to this haedcanon, it takes place over a century after the war and all the people hanging from walls are just extreme masochists.

Piper Maru said:

Yes, Billy the Baron was known to be a great philosopher since classical antiquity. He also helped get demon equality set in motion, before that time it was hell! And than there was Archie the Arch-Vile, he was the inventor of teleportation. And Ivan, or better known as The Icon of Sin, he was a great emperor known for exploring the world and spreading civilization. And Doomguy, he's just a meanie who has a grudge.

they will never be forgotten. *salutes*

I don't exactly remember where I found it but I swear Romero pretty much confirmed that the Archvile looking one is indeed an archvile.

Although he called it "the medic" (which is the Archviles role).

I'm reminded that I recall ('I think') Sandy Pertersen saying he deliberately used the Barron face texture around most map areas there where Barron's.

In Doom1, Barron's where nearly always encountered individually, rarely and their name implies importance.

In Doom2, this was sort of thrown by the wayside.

Voros said:

For eons I thought they were elongated Manc heads with chubby cheeks. Upon closer inspection though, it's definitely an Archie head.

I don't think it is racist, it's their breed and/or species name. They'd call us human and mean no offence by it. I'm sure they'd know that we have names and occupations...but they wouldn't care, like we don't about them....we're at war!!

Until we reach a ceasefire and sign some form of peace agreement, I doubt we will be chatting to them any time soon about their individual lives.

Yeah I probably did kill Mike the Imp, leaving his family, wife and kids with no father to support them, but all the same he already killed several people with families to support.

This war will never end....not until one of us manages to win out. We may have played a friendly game of Cricket together at Halloween one time but that don't mean we're gonna stop killing each other.

How many of us are unwilling in this war I don't know, but they sure as Hell are making us fight it out.