Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellslime

My first WAD - Hellslime (1 medium-large map)

This is my first WAD. It's medium-large in size, medium-high in difficulty, and personally I think it's lots of fun. This map took me a few months working maybe a couple hours on some days and then taking weeks off. Let me know if it's awesome or if I need to take up a new hobby. Play with MUSIC OFF or put on some ambient horror music. MAP01's native music is not good for this map's atmosphere. I prefer playing this map with no mods.

This replaces MAP01 in Doom 2.
Compatible with and tested in GZDoom.
There are no new graphics, sounds, or demos.
Single player only.
Only one difficulty setting.

Tips:
Check nooks and crannies for health and ammo.
Look for clues for the secrets.
Wear your radiation suit before stepping out of the facility.
If you're in a larger area, do not stop moving.

Link:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bw2c06SH1iErODJXenl4M0lMR3c&usp=sharing

P.S. Pay no attention to MAP02 - it might be another map someday.

From a visual perspective I'd definitely say that it's awesome and that there's absolutely no reason for you to not fire up Doombuilder again! Lots and lots of stunning details and visual wizardry with stock textures! Good job!

But. And there's always a but, isn't there. It really doesn't do any good for the gameplay imho. Fighting monsters in 64 wide narrow hallways and hunting demons and imps through extremely tight spaces sounds like a good idea on paper for putting pressure on the player and for creating tension, but instead it gets kind of frustrating as you're constantly getting stuck or your movement is getting blocked by all those pillars, consoles, crates etc.

There's an ambivalence to this level. While I really, really dig the visuals and respect the huge amount of work gone into it, I really don't like the gameplay very much. But don't take my word for it as I'm sure that there are people - probably like yourself - that would get a kick out of playing a level such as this :)

Keep up the good work and please make more levels!

Here's a failed first demo attempt from me (recorded with Zandronum ver 2.1.2). In the end I run out of ammo and panic while at the same time trying to keep an eye and ear on my baby upstairs, so I had to turn the sound off. But that doesn't excuse the poor performance from me that caused my demise - that was just me sucking as usual :D

This is really great. It did feel a little cramped in places, but otherwise I'd say you did a stellar job. Sort of reminds me of something from the Alien universe. My girlfriend and I played through it and had a blast. :)

As far as the music goes, you can change or remove the music via a script. Just append this to the end of your current scripts and recompile it:

script 4 OPEN
{
SetMusic("");
}

It was a nice map overall and I liked that one area that required you to use radiation suits at first I thought it's supposed to mean the marine is suffocating because the moon has no oxygen until that little valley of death part later on that also takes place outside but still it was a more creative use of them than your typical slime corridors and lava lakes. Mine complaints are that the mountains texture is a mess, the Arch - Ville at the end was useless because you can just kill him through the gaps so he won't get the chance to resurrect anyone and that you shouldn't put Imps in corridors so narrow you can't avoid their fireballs.

Awesome! The visuals and the gameplay are very unique and interesting. I think the gameplay is fine, It's only a matter of get used to it and stick to the automap to not get lost, which for me is part of the atmosphere.

Hellslime said:

Play with MUSIC OFF or put on some ambient horror music. MAP01's native music is not good for this map's atmosphere.

If I have enough time I would love to make a ambient track for you.

Oh my, this is really impressive for a first map! I agree this needs some fitting music track, however. Also, sector 2268 shouldn't be secret.

Meh. Visually was good and with many things I liked, especially those towers in the area with the red fog. But the gameplay was dull and mechanical, almost boring at times with monsters that don't make pressure. Those long corridors seemed unnecessary. Reaching the rocky outdoor area was a nice change until I realized it was another flat area. Check out how to add custom music of you choice, it's really easy. Also I suggest to replace the sky texture, those mountains with the upscaled textures look really ugly.