Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Angry Saint

Ice Prison - small Vanilla Hexen Level (released)

This is a small vanilla Hexen map which may be the starting level of an hub:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/hexen/g-i/ipri001

I tested it with Chocolate Doom and Zdoom.

I tested it with all 3 player classes and gameplay should be balanced. Cleric and Fighter have the same types of enemies, while for the mage I used more projectile monsters because the mage has a long-range weapon.

I made this map thnking it for Zauberer, or for a future Hexen hub made by me.

Visually, the map is good. But I found it super hard playing as Fighter, mainly because there were so many ranged monsters. Conversely, it was total breeze playing it as Mage. This needs to be addressed somehow, original Hexen maps never had so many ranged monsters in the first map, when the players had no decent ranged weapons.

Yeah, it looks nice, I'll try it soon and then incorporate it in Zauberer. Big thanks for donating it! :)

Caleb13 said:

Visually, the map is good. But I found it super hard playing as Fighter, mainly because there were so many ranged monsters. Conversely, it was total breeze playing it as Mage. This needs to be addressed somehow, original Hexen maps never had so many ranged monsters in the first map, when the players had no decent ranged weapons.

Yes, probably it is not as balanced as I think.

I will remove ranged monsters for Fighter and Cleric, and add more for Mage. This should help, I hope.

I played though the the level and I kind of agree with Caleb13. Also, if you (Angry Saint) or someone else would be willing to make a fire themed counterpart of this level, it would be really useful for another level in Zauberer.

Yes, exactly, something like that. Mostly re-texturing would be required I think.

I think a fire prison would be a completely different type of prison, not just a retexturing of the ice one.

I'll take a note, maybe in the future I will work on it.