Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
revan1141

Doomguy's Total Kill Count

Touchdown said:

That depends. You can check the killcount on Automap in TC but I believe D64 spawns enemies during levels so you can't just look at the counter to see the 'real' amount, you have to actually play each map (AND pay attention to Souls spawned by Pain Elementals). Also, I don't know what are the differences between the TC and the original D64 in terms of enemy numbers. ALSO, you have to keep in mind some levels in the TC did not appear in the original. I know I'm not gonna do it. :)

Do you mean Doom 64 EX or Absolution TC?
I'm talking about EX, which is the best you can get to the original.

I totally forgot about EX, probably because as far as I remember it requires you to have an original DOOM 64 to begin with. Which I don't so I have only played Absolution.

Honestly Absolution isn't anymore legal than Ex since it uses ripped resources from the original game, Ex simply requires you to convert the actual rom into a resources wad for use with a specialized custom engine. There isn't much difference really.

Hell Revealed 2 has one hell of a kill count (pardon the pun).

Total racks up to 10618 (excluding monster spawned by the final boss).

Just imagine what alien vendetta would look like XD

Touchdown said:

I totally forgot about EX, probably because as far as I remember it requires you to have an original DOOM 64 to begin with. Which I don't so I have only played Absolution.

You can find the rom in many emulator sites.
Its usually in a .z64 format (the Doom 64 rom).

Touchdown said:

That depends. You can check the killcount on Automap in TC but I believe D64 spawns enemies during levels so you can't just look at the counter to see the 'real' amount, you have to actually play each map (AND pay attention to Souls spawned by Pain Elementals). Also, I don't know what are the differences between the TC and the original D64 in terms of enemy numbers. ALSO, you have to keep in mind some levels in the TC did not appear in the original. I know I'm not gonna do it. :)

Doomwiki has map statistics for all Doom 64 maps.

Voros said:

You can find the rom in many emulator sites.
Its usually in a .z64 format (the Doom 64 rom).

It should be noted for clarity that these ROM downloads (including the Doom 64 ROM) are illegal, though.

scifista42 said:

It should be noted for clarity that these ROM downloads (including the Doom 64 ROM) are illegal, though.

If you are in the US, then yes. Or you could get the rom, finish it and delete it.

If you're outside the US, then it MIGHT be ok

scifista42 said:

It's not like the police or FBI will be knocking on your door asking if you have downloaded ROMs anytime soon, right?... Right?

nxGangrel said:

It's not like the police or FBI will be knocking on your door asking if you have downloaded ROMs anytime soon, right?... Right?

Not on your door, but maybe on this forum administrator's door if piracy discussion is accepted as the norm in the long run. It doesn't take much doing to receive a cease and desist email.

So as users we warn against illegal actions and whatever one does in his own privacy on his own PC is his problem.

nxGangrel said:

Probably only one way to find out for sure. I have a boxed Doom 64 cartridge I can wave under their noses as proof of purchase.

Ironically, even if you do own an original cartridge of a game to use as an "alibi", in the vast majority of cases you still will need to download the ROM through unofficial, illegal channels. The guys who dumped the ROMs, zipped and placed them on a "retro nostalgia" website (as well as those who copied it and mirrored it elsewhere etc.) didn't exactly do it with the consent of the copyright holders (with very, very few exceptions), just so that people who had the original could have a convenient backup.

Yeah yeah, I know the "don't download if you don't own the original" and "delete within 24 hours" disclaimers those sites have, but we all know those are bullshit :-)

I guess that through a service like the Wii Virtual Console you might get a legit ROM dump, but consider how long warez ROM dumps were around (PROTIP: at least since the mid 90s), vs similar services.

This thread changed immensely.
Let's get back on topic.

What's the total "kill" count in SRB2?

On 1/23/2016 at 5:45 PM, Megalyth said:

Doom1 didn't originally have E4, which accounts for over a third of the monsters in Ultimate Doom.

also worth noting that doom 2 has more higher tier enemies, so they have more choices as opposed to spamming multiple smaller enemies

6 hours ago, OliveTree said:

also worth noting that doom 2 has more higher tier enemies, so they have more choices as opposed to spamming multiple smaller enemies

This thread is almost seven years old, and Megalyth has passed away.

On 12/23/2022 at 7:28 AM, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

[...] and Megalyth has passed away.

Was bearing this in mind when I made my post, that's why I phrased it the way I did. My post was an addition to his observation, not exactly something I expected him to see or respond to, for obvious reasons.

This thread is ancient, too, yeah. The thought I wanted to share wasn't interesting enough to make a new thread. I could have kept it to myself, but I don't see the harm in sharing it in this case.

Is it an exercise in bad taste to bump an old thread, with some who are sadly lost to us among its original posters? I dont really see how. Maybe it's kind of obnoxious in the same way any bump is kind of obnoxious. If that's how my contribution is read, sorry I guess.

1 hour ago, OliveTree said:

Was bearing this in mind when I made my post, that's why I phrased it the way I did. My post was an addition to his observation, not exactly something I expected him to see or respond to, for obvious reasons.

This thread is ancient, too, yeah. The thought I wanted to share wasn't interesting enough to make a new thread. I could have kept it to myself, but I don't see the harm in sharing it in this case.

Is it an exercise in bad taste to bump an old thread, with some who are sadly lost to us among its original posters? I dont really see how. Maybe it's kind of obnoxious in the same way any bump is kind of obnoxious. If that's how my contribution is read, sorry I guess.

It's not that big of a deal, I just assumed that you didn't realize how old the thread was, or that you were expecting a reply from Meg.

If anyone is actually interested in the kill count of the official games, from my thread:

Doom episodes 1-4

Total: 3245

Doom II: Hell on Earth

Total: 3752 

Doom 64

Total: 3545

Add them together and you get 10,542.

If you want to add TNT and Plutonia, that goes up to 18,497.

16 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

It's not that big of a deal, I just assumed that you didn't realize how old the thread was, or that you were expecting a reply from Meg.

Sorry if my response came off defensive, that was my state of mind when I wrote it.

On an unrelated note, it is somewhat surreal to reflect on the fact that dormant threads are sometimes populated with users who can/will never respond. The situation with Megalyth is really tragic. I hope his family can carry on.

I realized how old the thread was. To be honest, I kind of find something very comforting/fascinating about older threads on forums.