Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JohnnyTheWolf

A Doom vs. Heretic mod?

Samsara, by TerminusEst13, lets you play the main IWADs as several old-school FPS heroes, so yes, you can play Heretic as Doomguy, or Chex Warrior, or even the Ranger from the first Quake game.

Sadly, he isn't updating it anymore.

Beed28 said:

Samsara, by TerminusEst13, lets you play the main IWADs as several old-school FPS heroes, so yes, you can play Heretic as Doomguy, or Chex Warrior, or even the Ranger from the first Quake game.

Sadly, he isn't updating it anymore.

A damn shame too... it was really promising.

HavoX said:

A damn shame too... it was really promising.

There's always hope for a miracle...

There's another project for adding Doom gameplay to Heretic, but it has been in development for years now with seemingly no release in sight as it has fallen for the feature creep trap.

Fonze said:

There's always hope for a miracle...

There are no miracles, only hopeless soul-crushing despair which veils the unfathomable monstrosities inhabiting the collective consciousness of all sentient beings in this vast, empty, purposeless torture we call the universe.

But yeah, Samsara is great. I like the modifications it made to regular Doom gameplay too.

Tosi said:

There are no miracles, only hopeless soul-crushing despair which veils the unfathomable monstrosities inhabiting the collective consciousness of all sentient beings in this vast, empty, purposeless torture we call the universe.

But yeah, Samsara is great. I like the modifications it made to regular Doom gameplay too.

Sounds like Buddha ;)

I thought the final version of Samsara seemed pretty darn good, is there something I'm missing? Why does everyone want another version, just for more characters, or are there bugs I never noticed?

EDIT: Nevermind, it supports single-player as well.

I agree, it is a shame the mod has been discontinued. It really is awesome!

It is also a shame it cannot support non-id games; it would have been fun to play Duke3D as Doomguy. :P

JohnnyTheWolf said:

It is also a shame it cannot support non-id games; it would have been fun to play Duke3D as Doomguy. :P

I guess you think too much, because it's not DooM mod anymore but a Duke3D mod...
(And other non-id games' mod too, someone needed just "port" DooM's things into the non-id games' engine to a PC/TC...not just use DooM data on other game's engine, that won't works.)

Hmm, there still someone was worked some mods for your dream. :p

http://www.moddb.com/mods/hellduke-tc
http://www.dukertcm.com/knowledge-base/reviews-mod-eduke32/hellduke.html

But this one also not updated anymore too... :(
(This mod needed eduke32 to run, and recently eduke32 snapshots builds may not working well for this TC since it was old...)

Here is other one of DooM mod for Duke3D, but very old one.

http://www.dukertcm.com/knowledge-base/reviews-mod-duke3d/duke-meets-doom.html

Whenever I try to play Samsara with a different WAD than The Ultimate Doom (including Doom II!), I am experiencing a weird bug: I cannot get any locked door even after acquiring the necessary keycard! When I gave myself all keys through the console, I noticed there was now a duplicate for keycards present in a level. Am I the only one getting that? :S

There was a mod for ZDoom that replaces Heretic's weapons with Doom, all but the SSG and they can even be tome'd up as well. I don't know where it is though, but I'm sure I've got a copy of it somewhere.

Mike800 said:

speaking of Doom mods for Duke3D, I came across this project:
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/60980-legality-of-a-doom-duke3d-mod/

Has this mod ever got released?

rofl, now that takes me back.

It died not long after that thread, while E2M2 was in progress (so E1 was actually finished).
Eventually some of the files corrupted and anything that survived is long lost, so there's pretty much no evidence the project ever existed.

Eris Falling said:

rofl, now that takes me back.

It died not long after that thread, while E2M2 was in progress (so E1 was actually finished).
Eventually some of the files corrupted and anything that survived is long lost, so there's pretty much no evidence the project ever existed.

Great...yet other example about "Totally dead project due to lack of backups"... :\

Well, sorry to heard about that...hmm, are you re-considering to do that idea again, if possible?

It was kinda flawed anyway. Enemy placement was exactly as it was in the original maps except each monster was replaced by it's closest counterpart in Doom, which was kind of unbalanced without any further tweaking, and also the map layouts and detailing didn't really translate well to Duke3D, which focussed more on realistic locations and designs.

I managed a pretty interesting (imho) take on E1M8, but that's about all it had going for it.

I considered starting again with it, but really, to do it at all would be a hell of a lot of time, and to do it properly without those flaws, just some of the individual maps would be too much, sorry :/

P.S. I had a backup of it, and that ALSO corrupted x_x

I'm kinda surprised there hasn't been at least one Doom 2 megawad by now that has either Heretic or Hexen-themed secret levels.

Doom 2 had Wolfenstein-themed secret levels, while the Doom 2 the Way ID Did megawad has secret levels for

Spoiler

Commander Keen.

Master O said:

I'm kinda surprised there hasn't been at least one Doom 2 megawad by now that has either Heretic or Hexen-themed secret levels.

I'm sure there is at least one, I've played it, but forgot its name. I requested it in the "Official trying to find a wad thread" a year ago.

Eris Falling said:

I considered starting again with it, but really, to do it at all would be a hell of a lot of time

With DMDKCONV it should take less time than with WAD2MAP.
However, I'm not sure whether it works with Final Doom or not.