Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
volumetricsteve

GZDoom Builder/UDMF conversion

I was recently informed of the importance of UDMF and the general use of GZDoom builder, so I've transitioned my project over to that format and that editor.

In the mix...it seems like my switches that control door movement no longer work.

I also notice in GZDB, the pre-defined list of actions on linedefs seems a lot shorter for doors. In Doom Builder 2 there were like...20 or 30 choices for door actions encompassing access key color, switches, walk-ons...everything. In GZDB I've got 6 options, and they aren't even grouped together.

Am I missing a whole other section or are the more detailed door operations hidden away elsewhere?

It's streamlined in GZDoom Builder / UDMF. With just the generic door open function you can set it to open any speed like you with any delay for closing. You will get use to UDMF, I can't go back now.

If you put number 13 in actions it should be "Door Locked Raise". Once that is select you will notice extra drop down boxes underneath like Sector Tag (not needed in UDMF GZDoomBuilder), Movement Speed, Close Delay (You can put it 0 and it changes the function to Door Locked Open) and Key Number (select required key, you can even make it impossible to open).

Sadly I don't know if any video or picture tutorials for GZDoom Builder. But you will find a bunch of "Generic" actions available like generic crusher and generic door which pretty much allows you to modify its stats anyway you like.

volumetricsteve said:

I was recently informed of the importance of UDMF and the general use of GZDoom builder, so I've transitioned my project over to that format and that editor.

In the mix...it seems like my switches that control door movement no longer work.

If your map was in Doom format, you should have used a proper converter utility to convert it to UDMF format, rather than just changing configuration in your map editor.

Also, editing UDMF format maps is possible in Doom Builder 2 just as well as in GZDoom Builder. GZDoom Builder's strengths are elsewhere.

volumetricsteve said:

I also notice in GZDB, the pre-defined list of actions on linedefs seems a lot shorter for doors. In Doom Builder 2 there were like...20 or 30 choices for door actions encompassing access key color, switches, walk-ons...everything. In GZDB I've got 6 options, and they aren't even grouped together.

Again, this is not a matter of the change of your editor, but a matter of change of your editing configuration from a Doom-format one to an UDMF-format one. Linedef actions work differently in UDMF than in Doom format, you will have to accustomize to that if you want to work with UDMF.

volumetricsteve said:

Yes. That's because they use parameters.

See, in Doom II, you have one action for "open door at X speed when player does Y and has key Z". In the Hexen format (or UDMF ZDoom namespace) instead you have "open door" and then you put parameters for opening speed, key required, and you also choose separately how the player activates the door.

Here's a reference. See how actions 1 and 4 translate to the same thing? Door_Raise in both cases. But the parameters are different.

Ahhh I see now, ok, I adopted UDMF the same time I really dug in deep with GZDoom Builder so I didn't know what was accountable for the changes I saw. That explains a lot.

Thanks for the links, I'll check them out.