Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
roadworx

what game (besides doom) are you playing?

Recently I got into Beyond Good and Evil for the first time, and despite how jaded I am of gaming lately I have found it surprisingly enjoyable.

I just finished Wolf 3D again, now I'm playing Wolfenstein 2009 after digging out my DVD. Been on a wolf kick since I bought Old Blood during xmas. I'll probably play SoD and the expansion packs after that.

Also playing STALKER SoC, Tale of Two Wastelands, Eradicator and Soldier of Fortune.

RoyBatty said:

I just finished Wolf 3D again, now I'm playing Wolfenstein 2009 after digging out my DVD. Been on a wolf kick since I bought Old Blood during xmas. I'll probably play SoD and the expansion packs after that.

I want to go through Wolf3D again but I'm so used to using mouse & keyboard (WASD to move/turn, E to use, left alt to run with thumb (to prevent pinky fatigue) and mouse to shoot and strafe) that I want to do a keyboard only run with the original controls and see how well I fare.

I really want to play Wolf '09, it sucks it's not on Steam anymore.

SoD is pretty good, a more condensed Wolf package considering it's only 18 mandatory levels to complete versus 54 in Wolf3D (not counting secret levels in either). If you have to play the Spear missions though you're probably better off with The Ultimate Challenge, the levels are slightly better, whereas Return to Danger is really shitty. Both have some exclusive textures to each though, resulting in some different themes and atmospheres, but they re-use the bosses between so it's lazy, and the ceiling colors aren't changed from regular SoD resulting in some ugly color combinations. The new graphics and sounds are pretty spiffy though, if more cartoon-y than the originals. Sadly there's no source code changes so the behavior isn't new for anything.

E: Also I'm playing through Unreal again after having not beaten it since 2009, a seriously beautiful game for 1998, way better than Half-Life in just about every department.

RoyBatty said:

Also playing STALKER SoC, Tale of Two Wastelands, Eradicator and Soldier of Fortune.

Cyanosis said:

I want to go through Wolf3D again but I'm so used to using mouse & keyboard (WASD to move/turn, E to use, left alt to run with thumb (to prevent pinky fatigue) and mouse to shoot and strafe) that I want to do a keyboard only run with the original controls and see how well I fare.

I reccomend using ECWolf for classic wolfenstein 3D and Spear. Playing with high resolution and automap (!) makes a big difference. You can even configure modern WASD controls with a more responsive mouse control than in the original (not really necessary for classic wolf if you're used to it like me, but it's an option).

Cyanosis said:

I really want to play Wolf '09, it sucks it's not on Steam anymore.

Yes, it's a good game, if a bit easy at times, and with much less unskippable cutscenes / boring chores like the last Wolfenstein made by Machinegames.

Getting back into Dying Light in Hard mode. Game is still pretty good but with a shitty story and annoying characters. Shame they didn't transform hard mode into more of a survival game with the need to eat and sleep. Parkour mechanics are great, once you get use to it.

Unfortunately once the Parkour and Zombie encounters get old the game has nothing going on. All the missions are fetch or kill quests. Except for the Quarantine zones which actually can be scary, particularly in hard mode.

On top of the others I mentioned, I also just finished SOMA. It had me so captivated that I wish I could give myself amnesia just so I could experience it again.

Oh man, Unreal. I'll have install that again as I haven't played it in at least 10 years. Hopefully patches scrolls still has the patches for it, I never bought the gold version.

I can recommend the ZDoom TC for Wolf and SOD as well, ECWolf is still a little weird with the strafing and ZDoom/GZDoom are much smoother renderer. I was pretty amazed how close the game play is.

I played through the steam version of Super 3D Noah's Ark too lately, it's not a bad game really, episode 5 is a real bastard on the hardest difficulty.

hrm now that Havoc's Wolf 3D Editor supports all the wolf engines games I think I'll play Corridor 7 and Operation Body Count finally since I can view the maps and finally get a feel for them.

Some of these games are old flames, others are ones I've been on quite a kick of for a little while.

Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls
Sleeping Dogs
Bloodborne
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

I havent really touched Doom in a while.. But nonetheless.

Been playing Disgaea 5, working on my character for a Tank build for Post-Game Carnage quests while gaining Stat shards/extracts.
Minecraft Modded on AT Launcher, Resonant Rise 3. Most mods on, doing a Magic style start before Teching to all hell.
Old fun one, Future Cop LAPD (PS1 Classic on PS3).. Got it because it was one of those under the radar types, and it was really fun (even for a demo back in the day), hopefully I get someone to play with.... Back when EA weren't complete ass hats.
But.. One that might suck me in if I really get attached, is Heart of the Swarm and Legacy of the Void expansions for Starcraft 2. Already have Diablo 3 with Reaper of Souls, but I'm still hiatus for that.

LkMax said:

I reccomend using ECWolf

Yep, I've got it, it's ace.

RoyBatty said:

Oh man, Unreal. I'll have install that again as I haven't played it in at least 10 years. Hopefully patches scrolls still has the patches for it, I never bought the gold version.

Only one thing that bugs me about the Gold release is they replaced all the gun sounds with UT's. They're not bad, but I liked the original sounds for U1.

RoyBatty said:

I can recommend the ZDoom TC for Wolf and SOD as well, ECWolf is still a little weird with the strafing and ZDoom/GZDoom are much smoother renderer. I was pretty amazed how close the game play is.

The ZDoom TC was the best bet at the time but it's got strange behavior (guards are as fast as officers) and the dark tiles don't work.

TimeOfDeath said:

Acid Tetris (Super Acid Block Attack)
Internet Hearts
Spider Solitaire

I play those while watching tv.

Hell yeah, I get down with some Spider Solitare and Tetris. Never heard of Acid Tetris, but it sounds cool. Can't say I ever take Hearts online either, but that's a fun game to play, much in the same way Spades is, though Spades is more popular around here.

I also always enjoy a good game of chess and Terraria is a fun diversion from Doom.

Cyanosis said:

The ZDoom TC was the best bet at the time but it's got strange behavior (guards are as fast as officers) and the dark tiles don't work.

The dark tiles? You mean like the dark blue ones?

The guards aren't as fast as the officers for me, perhaps you played an older version of the TC.

RoyBatty said:

The dark tiles? You mean like the dark blue ones?

The guards aren't as fast as the officers for me, perhaps you played an older version of the TC.

I tried the most recent one at the time, unless it updated again, but still it's redundant IMO when you got the real deal with ECWolf. There's a light and dark variation for every wall in the game, but the mapper has no control over which one is used.

I recently gave Wolfendoom a try (the Doom 'prequel', not Wolfenstein 3D in the Doom engine)using ECWolf, unfortunate it did not work exactly as shown in the various youtube videos (the episode titles are still the original Wolf3D ones for example instead of using the new titles)

Truth be told, playing this game made me realize how old it is now and it could not really entertain me that long despite how much I wanted to give it a try.
(I would really like to have seen this mod being remade in the Doom engine, even if that takes away the novelty of this mod)

After that I gave Subnautica, a game that is still in development another try but it does not run as stable on my computer anymore as it once did since the last update.

Currently I am playing with a Gameboy Advance emulator. (the GBA always felt like a great follow up to the SNES)

Cyanosis said:

I tried the most recent one at the time, unless it updated again, but still it's redundant IMO when you got the real deal with ECWolf. There's a light and dark variation for every wall in the game, but the mapper has no control over which one is used.

Interesting, I've never noticed that. Not even in vanilla either on my PIII machine or in dosbox... I'll have to pay closer attention.

And yeah, the TC got an update not too long ago. Some stuff still shows up wrong in SoD though, pools of water are impaled marines, hehehe.

I need to report some bugs with ECWolf, it acts weird when strafing and it's rather distracting.

I managed to sneak by some YouTube videos of a competitive video gaming league of two of the top ranking starcraft players playing against each other. Then another of a player playing against 7 computer opponents and successfully defeating all of them. I used to mess around with starcraft a lot when I was younger but I was never any good at it so naturally I played with all the cheat codes on.

I saw most of these games lasted about 30 minutes which made it seem like not as much of a timesink as I felt it once was when I was younger, and now that I'm kinda smarter, know the gist of starcraft, and being able to dominate computer opponents looks like a lot of fun, I decided to give it another whack.

I decided to play a custom game against two computer opponents to warm up instead of seven, but still, without enough foresight, the computer could still get me. I'm just not fast enough. So after a few hours I decided to uninstall it and stick to Doom.

Just finished Fallout 4, MgsV and Shovel Knight. Next maybe panzer dragoon games in a row. Acquired all of them on christmas holiday, even the hard to find panzer dragoon saga

TDG said:

I recently gave Wolfendoom a try (the Doom 'prequel', not Wolfenstein 3D in the Doom engine)using ECWolf, unfortunate it did not work exactly as shown in the various youtube videos (the episode titles are still the original Wolf3D ones for example instead of using the new titles)

I was able to load everything into ECWolf since it has no source code changes except the help and end text files (there's a way to load those externally however). That mod is f'n awesome IMHO and for a Wolf and Doom fan like myself thought it was a fairly convincing prequel to Doom, with its own atmosphere. It's actually pretty damn scary at times too. It does go on for rather too long since it's a full 6-episode 60-level replacement but I remember having a blast with it back in 2012 via the original DOS release.

Cyanosis said:

I was able to load everything into ECWolf since it has no source code changes except the help and end text files (there's a way to load those externally however). That mod is f'n awesome IMHO and for a Wolf and Doom fan like myself thought it was a fairly convincing prequel to Doom, with its own atmosphere. It's actually pretty damn scary at times too. It does go on for rather too long since it's a full 6-episode 60-level replacement but I remember having a blast with it back in 2012.

Oh yes, concept wise I love this mod and how the designers approached it. As a prequel idea to Doom I think it is very well done.
I myself just couldn't really get into it but that lies with me and is not the game's fault.

Could you perhaps tell me how I could insert the help and text files of Wolfendoom into ECWolf, or perhaps link the page/website to me where it is explained.
Even if I am not going to play it very much I want to get it to run as intended.

TDG said:

Could you perhaps tell me how I could insert the help and text files of Wolfendoom into ECWolf, or perhaps link the page/website to me where it is explained.

Copied from post from DieHard Wolfers forum, Executor responded:

Cyanosis wrote:
E: I seemed to've answered my own question, dragging and dropping a gamemaps & maphead onto ECWolf loaded the map replacement for Wolf3D, used Wolfbel2 for testing. And tried a custom vswap and audiohed/audiot replacements (from RTCW3D) to satisfying results.

You don't need to drag and drop the head/dict files. ECWolf will find them.

Cyanosis wrote:
E2: Another cool test, AReyeP's Wolfendoom works, minus the endart and helpart, the lack of source code changes means this one works perfectly as far as I can tell.

Weird. Why did he take those out of the vgagraph? You can make ECWolf load them, but you'll have to use the command line:

::: CODE :::
ecwolf.exe --file /path/to/audiot.wl6 /path/to/gamemaps.wl6 /path/to/vgagraph.wl6 /path/to/vswap.wl6 /path/to/helpart.wl6 /path/to/endart1.wl6 ...

The important thing is that the helpart/endart files are loaded after the vgagraph.

Picked up Shadow Warrior (2013 one) and Red Faction off of Good Old Games. Shadow Warrior was okay at first, but its dragging on for so long now that I don't know if I will continue. Red Faction I'll probably finish because it shares the same charming goofiness that I associate with other games of that era, such as Deus Ex or Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Edit: Oh yeah and Mario Maker

NoobBait said:

Picked up Shadow Warrior (2013 one) and Red Faction off of Good Old Games. Shadow Warrior was okay at first, but its dragging on for so long now that I don't know if I will continue. Red Faction I'll probably finish because it shares the same charming goofiness that I associate with other games of that era, such as Deus Ex or Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Red Faction aged terribly for me, I remember loving it when I was 14 but nowadays it is like a super dull Half-Life clone (with the narrative driven gameplay and seamless level progression).

Not trying to hijack this thread but I want to ask Cyanosis how one applies the code he wrote in an earlier post to ECwolf.exe

::: CODE :::
ecwolf.exe --file /path/to/audiot.wl6 /path/to/gamemaps.wl6 /path/to/vgagraph.wl6 /path/to/vswap.wl6 /path/to/helpart.wl6 /path/to/endart1.wl6 ...

I have never modified an exe file and don't know how to do that in Windows 7

Currently playing Star Trek Away Team again, a Commandoes 1/2 clone in the Star Trek universe.

You have to create a shortcut to ECWolf and put in the command line the --file and path to the files for ECWolf (that being everything) to load in one go.