Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dg93

How do you make new "Thing" objects?

I'm in the process of making new sprites for a Gothic themed FFA / LMS map. They are basically going to be stone statues of the Doom demons.

I'm wondering if it's possible to make new Decorative things for these new sprites? I would like to preserve the existing Doom stock sprites instead of replacing them with the new ones.

For Zdoom? Yeah, use decorate, you can inherit from an existing thing and just make changes. Check out inheritance on the zdoom wiki.

Add the new content to your map via Slade 3. You pretty much load up your map in Slade, then load the resources. You then copy and paste the decorate file and sprites into your map. What you need to do next is give a unique unused number next to its name. The number is basically its "Thing Type", like how the 5 skulls shish kebob in Type 28.

If your target port is merely Zandronum (or even ZDoom/GZDoom), you can achieve your goal easily, via DECORATE.

If you also want compatibility with ZDaemon, use DEHSUPP to insert new thing types, which you can modify in DEHACKED then.

If you also want compatibility with Odamex, respectively other ports not based on modern ZDoom, I think you will have to resort to using plain DEHACKED, which can merely replace existing things, but not add new ones. Tip: If your map was truly competitive-multiplayer-oriented and didn't contain any monsters, I guess you would replace the monsters with the decorations you wanted - similarly keycards, etc, feel free to replace anything you don't want to use.

the_miano said:

I'm wondering if it's possible to make new Decorative things for these new sprites? I would like to preserve the existing Doom stock sprites instead of replacing them with the new ones.

It's almost too easy with DECORATE. For example, here's a couple of revenant statues I made for an unfinished map, the "Translation Ice" makes them look a bit like they're carved from stone.

actor RevStatueOne 6660
{
	//$Category Decoration
  Game Doom
  Radius 20
  Height 56
  +SOLID
  Translation Ice

States
  {
  Spawn:
    SKEL I -1
    Loop
  }
}

actor RevStatueTwo 6661
{
	//$Category Decoration
  Game Doom
  Radius 20
  Height 56
  +SOLID
  Translation Ice

States
  {
  Spawn:
    SKEL L -1
    Loop
  }
}

Thanks for the help guys. Are there any easy tutorials on how to use SLADE3 to make DECORATES, DEHACKS, and DEHSUPP files? I have no idea how to make them.

I definitely want compatibility with Zandronum and ZDaemon because those source ports are pretty popular multiplayer ports.

GreyGhost said:

the "Translation Ice" makes them look a bit like they're carved from stone.

That's only in software mode because there's no blues close enough in the palette, so it ends up being remapped to gray; but in OpenGL (or with a custom palette featuring the right colors) they'd end up an icy blue.

For a gray stone color guaranteed, you can try something like this:

Translation "0:255=%[0.00,0.00,0.00]:[1.13,1.13,1.13]"
You can mess around with the values if you want. PROTIP: use SLADE's color remap feature, choose "desaturated color gradient" mode, and experiment a bit. When you've found something you like, you can copy-paste the "translation string" line.