Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SpunkMayo

Just Not Your Day - My First WAD!

Hey guys,

This is my first Doom II Wad. I made this in about 4-5 hours in Doom Builder, after watching a few tutorials and playing tons of Doom. I'm pretty proud of this, but I can find a million issues I have with my own creation, and it's nowhere near done to the point I'd like it to be. I'm going to be turning this project into a full 30 map WAD, and releasing it all at once in the future, no promises on a timeline. This WAD contains MAP01 and MAP02, along with some (mostly placeholder, but still amazing) custom MIDIs and stuff. MAP01 is complete, in the sense that all the pieces are there, just needing some fine tuning, but it's perfectly playable and I'd even be tempted to release it if I wasn't planning on doing a full 30 map megaWAD. MAP02 is an incomplete level, but it'll give a great idea of where I'm going with the next level (and it has some cool things to look at!). You can download the map here (unsure if this is an acceptable and safe place to upload WADs):

http://www.theultimatedoom.com/download/JustNotYourDay.zip

I'd also like to take this time to say hello to the community. I know it might be a little douchey to start out pushing my own stuff, but I'm very new to the Doom community as a whole. Looks great from what I've read/seen so far! So, yeah, I'm Spunk Mayo, I'm a veteran, I have shitty internet, I do YouTube stuff sometimes, and yadayadayada.

I played through this with zDoom using Doom II (Can't guarantee that, if you want to see my playthrough, feel free to check it out here (Ignore my drunk 4am commentary):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT8DU3eQvKs&ab_channel=SpunkMayo

Not bad for a first map... I liked the start of Map02 the most though. Couple HoM effects in Map01, and I dunno how I feel about the almost hidden wall to get out of the first area. I'd be interested in seeing the future of this.

MegaZzZeux said:

Not bad for a first map... I liked the start of Map02 the most though.

Thank you very much! I'll be changing up the difficulty, and MAP02 is feeling like it's going to be my baby, so-to-say.

MegaZzZeux said:

couple HoM effects in Map01, and I dunno how I feel about the almost hidden wall to get out of the first area.

I tried Googling it, I promise, but what does HoM stand for? Sorry - new.

And, yes, the hidden wall is very cheap, and could really frustrate someone, new or veteran. I will be changing that for sure.

MegaZzZeux said:

I'd be interested in seeing the future of this.

Thank you, and I won't be spamming each map, I'll do some sort of update around the time I finish up MAP15, and then I'll do a full release, and then patches/updates as I get feedback. Hopefully this will turn out to be something memorable. I'm having a blast making Doom content, learning stuff daily, and playing other custom WADs to find out more.

Awesome!

Anyway after watching your video of your playthrough, I noticed you did not have the HoM (Or Hall of Mirrors effect) where the game acts like there is no texture there - Like if you go into no clipping mode and you're walking through walls, that same kind of effect. T

The first switch, and the waterfall were missing textures on my end for some reason. Also playing on ZDoom.

MegaZzZeux said:

Awesome!

Anyway after watching your video of your playthrough, I noticed you did not have the HoM (Or Hall of Mirrors effect) where the game acts like there is no texture there - Like if you go into no clipping mode and you're walking through walls, that same kind of effect. T

The first switch, and the waterfall were missing textures on my end for some reason. Also playing on ZDoom.

There is a 0.1% chance that I uploaded the wrong file, but after downloading it and opening it in ZDoom, I don't have the issue. I'm not running any custom content on my end, but I'm not sure, maybe I messed something up somewhere, I'll take a look at those areas here in a bit and see what I can find.

Thanks for clearing up the HoM thing! That's something I made very sure to avoid, as it does look like garbage when that happens.

Would having differing graphics settings in our respective ZDoom copies cause issues like this? I might set everything back to vanilla and see what changes, if anything as well.

SpunkMayo said:

There is a 0.1% chance that I uploaded the wrong file, but after downloading it and opening it in ZDoom, I don't have the issue. I'm not running any custom content on my end, but I'm not sure, maybe I messed something up somewhere, I'll take a look at those areas here in a bit and see what I can find.

Thanks for clearing up the HoM thing! That's something I made very sure to avoid, as it does look like garbage when that happens.

Would having differing graphics settings in our respective ZDoom copies cause issues like this? I might set everything back to vanilla and see what changes, if anything as well.

It shouldn't really change anything, normally if a texture shows for you it would show for others. Not quite sure the issue on that.

Suitepee said:

I'll add this to my upcoming playtesting stream #7, which should be on Friday.

Oh, cool beans! I subscribed on YouTube and followed on Twitch, definitely looking forward to it, and I'll be in chat, hopefully. What time would you figure?

SpunkMayo said:

Oh, cool beans! I subscribed on YouTube and followed on Twitch, definitely looking forward to it, and I'll be in chat, hopefully. What time would you figure?

Sometime around 6-7pm GMT.

@MegaZzZeux: You're seeing HoM's because he has used flats as wall textures and vice-versa, done via zdoom format in Doombuilder.

Neat level, you have some cool lighting effects and some well detailed rooms for a typical first level.wad. The texture used in the starting rooms makes everything look a little clustered and constant doors were a bit monotonous. I would also agree that the secret corridor to progress in the level is a bit cheap. Something strange was going on at the waterfall, when I opened it I could not shoot through it from the outside, not sure why that is. It also looked doesn't look nice when opened as the door goes through the sky, it would be a nicer effect to make the waterfall one sided as to give the 'passing through water' illusion.

Overall good job man, looking forward to map 02 :)

Crunchynut44 said:

@MegaZzZeux: You're seeing HoM's because he has used flats as wall textures and vice-versa, done via zdoom format in Doombuilder.

Yeah, and I never had that issue running ZDoom as well. *shrug*

Tested in Zandronum, really reminds me of my older maps due to how cramped it is. You use lighting, secrets, monster placement etc all very well, but the space just feels claustrophobic. Even the beds and tables look shrunken down. You have great ideas and your understanding of mapping seems quite solid, just make things a little larger from now on. That's my 2 cents :) Keep it up!

Thanks guys!

I'm working on the level as we speak. The claustrophobia thing is definitely being addressed. It's pretty clear I made the first area far too small, and it's kinda obvious it was the first area I made :3

I've fixed the waterfall issue. You now pass through it like you'd expect, and you can shoot through it now.

Awesome feedback here, and thanks for playing it, dudes, you guys are cool as hell. No pun intended.