Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
40oz

(split) various MP comments and questions and stuff

I need a tutorial for recording multiplayer demos in prboom.

40oz said:

Sadly, I don't know much about PrBoom :(

40oz said:

There are instructions in add\prboom-docs.zip\prboom-game-server.html. I once tried it and the mouse lag made it completely unplayable. Must be bad netcode.

Guest Unregistered account

As it's been said, this needs to be stickied. Thanks so much for this awesomely written guide! And thanks even more for devoting so much of your spare time to it. That it's in progress is cool. I simply adore how you're writing a guide for as many ports as you can (DOS included) so no one gets left out.

Thanks, Joe667! I just added instructions for DOSbox. I still have more to add, but the basics are there now. I've also added instructions on connecting 2 PC's through Doom Legacy - Great when your gaming friends are over!

Chocolate Doom instructions are now up :) Also added a link to download DOSbox.

That was quick! Thanks.

I'd recommend adding something like this:

When you run a Chocolate Doom server, it is automatically registered with the master server. Other players can use the setup tool to find your server, or you can check for the address on the website for the master server. If the server doesn't appear on the list, it's probably because you haven't set up the port forward for your NAT router properly.

Come to think of it, you don't actually seem to mention port forwarding anywhere in your article and this seems like a pretty essential piece of information for running a server (Chocolate Doom or any other port). Very few people have publicly routable IP addresses for the machines on their home networks. There's a good guide to port forwarding here.

I have been looking for feedback on multi-player games using Doom Legacy 1.45 (latest version is now 1.45.2), with the new built-in Launcher.
Doom Legacy 1.45 has the built-in Launcher for those MS-Windows users who cannot set command line options otherwise.
I expect you can setup the multiplayer game using only the menus as well as you could using the Launcher.
I hope you have time to try 1.45.

I certainly will try the new version and update the tutorial, so users of both versions can play.

Thanks for continuing Legacy development :)

Thank you too.
There are some points of difference you may want to hit.

There is a built-in Launcher. The command line is mostly the same as previously used by older versions such so external Launchers should still work. There are some new command line switches like -game, -native, and -bpp, that an external launcher may be able to invoke.
These cannot be set in the menus.

The -v2 switch (extra verbose) may be helpful to external Launcher users.

The built-in launcher in DoomLegacy is rather minimalist. It is really for those users who want to start DoomLegacy with a single click, or do not even have a command line. It is not a replacement for a fancy Doom Launcher. It must run before the graphics support is fully setup or started, so it has minimal graphics to work with.

If DoomLegacy can start at all, the built-in Launcher should run. It uses minimal graphics. It directly sets the command line buffer, giving the same capability as a command line.

Starting a game from the command line or Launcher invokes game attributes differently than from the menus. The command line game attributes only apply to the one game started by the command line.
This also applies to any Launcher using the command line.
The built-in Launcher keeps this characteristic.

There are a few command line switches the built-in Launcher cannot handle, like the -mb switch. This is because those switches must be
handled early. They are also not important unless the user is going to compile with some non-default memory or video card config settings.

If you have an illegal setting using an external Launcher, the user is going to end up in the built-in Launcher (error handler). There they can give command line settings to fix it, or they can Quit and retry their external Launcher.

The command line settings used by the external Launcher are not shown in the built-in launcher, the user must enter them fresh. The built-in Launcher does remember settings made in the built-in Launcher.
This is because there is no routine to parse and interpret the combine command line into the categories used by the built-in Launcher.

Thanks to Ling's superpowers, this thread is now where it belongs and a bit cleaned up. All users who have anything constructive to add for any source port are encouraged to do so. Thanks!

The first post needs an index. Use a prefix for the titles to ease the search. Sample:

# TUTORIAL: How to play DOOM online (Co-operative, Deathmatch, CTF and much more)
- Setting up your DOOM Browser
- FOR ZDOOM USERS
- FOR DOSBOX USERS
- FOR CHOCOLATE DOOM USERS
- FOR SPLITSCREEN PLAYERS
It helps if you fragment the guide into smaller (but relevant) parts.

Thank you for bringing this section to reality.

^ The best approach (as far as I can tell) would be to split the overarching topics into separate posts. That would probably require splitting off everyone else's posts into a new thread, but if all the critical info is in the mod posts, then nothing of value gets lost.