Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SkwisgaarScampini

Someone To Help With WAD Editing?

So I have an odd idea, I may get heat for asking it...

Basically, I build maps. I love doing all the level design, all the aesthetics, and all the thing placement. I also compose music. I write my own midi tracks for my maps (i'm a musician). Having a fully loaded life (Full-time job, full-time girlfriend, ect...), it's hard enough to find time to create a full length map that has perfect balance, of gameplay/challenge, good architecture/texture use, and good replay value.

Basically what I'm getting at is this...is there anyone willing to team up with anything. I'm mostly talking about WAD editing.

Using Slade just doesn't interest me. It's a whole new animal to tame, and I just don't have the time. Basically I need someone who would maybe be willing to do the following....

1) Combine all my texture resources (i'm using 4) into one texture pack
2) Edit title art and text
3) edit midi tracks into my maps
4) May even help with level ideas/megawad?

SkwisgaarScampini, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.â„¢

I might be able to help you out with the slade stuff, I'm not entirely sure what the situation is with the resources you mentioned though. Usually I just download the textures I want and add them into my WAD through TX_Start and TX_End. Adding in music and titlepics is easy peasy (unless you want me to make titlepics, then I probably can't do it unless you're just asking for a blank screen with the name of your map on it).

Good luck with the project, I'll check this out later and edit this post to confirm whether or not I'll help.

Sounds good man, thanks! Mind going into detail exactly how you just add textures you want using that method? btw, this map is a just a single map 01, but very challenging, and is only utilizing ultra violence difficulty, I'd love for you to check it out, or anyone for that matter! It seems to be such an impossible effort to get people to even try my maps and give me feedback because I use four resources lol

I feel like this is a scummy thing for me to do but I give up. The most advanced thing I've done with downloaded resources is paste them into my wad lol. If you can't get people to download it because of the resources you're better off including the resources in a zip along with the wad itself. Sorry man, I'm not in the mood to spend hours on end trying to figure out how to get those bloody door textures to work...

SkwisgaarScampini said:

1) Combine all my texture resources (i'm using 4) into one texture pack
3) edit midi tracks into my maps

Here - this wad contains all your texture packs + your MAP01 + its music. Now all that's needed to play the map is to launch this wad (with Doom 2 as an IWAD, which is implicit in most ports when Doom 2 IWAD is available on the player's computer, though). Feel free to save new maps and new musics into this very wad. Also, feel free to open it in SLADE3 and see what I did there - it wasn't really hard, I just copypasted a bunch of flats between flat markers, a bunch of textures inside TEXTURE1, added animated textures into ANIMATED lump (or I could have just copypasted the ANIMDEFS in NB_RECOL if I knew that your map is GZDoom-only compatible anyway), added the map, and added the music as "D_RUNNIN" (which is default MAP01 music name, but if you make a custom MAPINFO for your map, you can name music for your maps whatever you want). Next time you will need help with a principially same problem, please spend a couple hours figuring it out yourself.

scifista42 said:

Here - this wad contains all your texture packs + your MAP01 + its music. Now all that's needed to play the map is to launch this wad (with Doom 2 as an IWAD, which is implicit in most ports when Doom 2 IWAD is available on the player's computer, though).

Awesome! thanks man! I'll check out what you did when I get home from work