Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

IDK, since Brutal Doom serves more than enough on such a limited engine.

Best to be done in 3rd person, which will still be cool. (Such as seeing Doomguy reaching for the lower jaw and rips it out of the imp, all in 3rd person).

How do you expect someone to implement this in first person? With big blocky sprites that sounds like an unreasonable task.

GoatLord said:

How do you expect someone to implement this in first person? With big blocky sprites that sounds like an unreasonable task.

Consider the Zombie or Imp Shield made by Mike12 and Blox. It might be scripted as a consumable inventory item like most Brutal Doom glory kills.
It's not a commonly used feature in modern Brutal Doom (in fact I forgot how to make it happen) but you can take the enemy and use them as a
shield against bullets while you fire a 30 round clip. Then you throw the body when you're done or by choice.

So with lots of drawing work you can probably do first person glory kills looking very similar to the work above.

Chezza said:

lots of drawing work

That's the point where you get an "Uh, I see. Kthxbye" response :-)

To be honest, as good as those meat shield sprites look, it would be fucking weird seeing enemies change from their vague pixel representations to fully rendered, high definition drawings during fatalities. It kind of works for meat shields because they are weapons, and the pickups for weapons usually are pixelated like all world objects in Doom. But if the same technique was used for finishers it wouldn't be the same. The thing about finishers is that you want to feel like you're inflicting that brutality on the monster. If we used big fancy renditions of the monsters, it would just look like a weapon animation. You follow? I'm having a hard time putting my thoughts into words here.

In my mind, a perfect "Gory Kill" Mod would lock the monster in front of you(Using A_Warp, maybe?) and having both the monster and the player perform a special animation. The two synchronized animations would compliment each other. For example, a simple Mortal Kombat styled uppercut decapitation. In first person, you'd see doomguy cocking his arm back and delivering a migthy uppercut. When the fist reached the height of the zombie's head he would, on cue, play an animation that would be his head popping off from the body and sent flying behind him. On paper, it doesn't sound like a very hard thing to accomplish, maybe it wouldn't even need to use ACS, or maybe just a simple script.

HorrorMovieGuy said:

Stuff

I totally get what you mean, that would be a superior system. Flow is very important and if done correctly you would have quick and fluent animations activating without changing camera or breaking flow. The aesthetics changing would totally take away the feeling you are glory killing the creature in front of you, rather it vanishes and a whole new entity appears in front of you.

Although, the above pictures are way too detailed for Doom. It could be more forgivable to have a higher detailed monster in front of you but just enough to not hurt your eyes, if you follow me.

HorrorMovieGuy said:

To be honest, as good as those meat shield sprites look, it would be fucking weird seeing enemies change from their vague pixel representations to fully rendered, high definition drawings during fatalities. It kind of works for meat shields because they are weapons, and the pickups for weapons usually are pixelated like all world objects in Doom. But if the same technique was used for finishers it wouldn't be the same. The thing about finishers is that you want to feel like you're inflicting that brutality on the monster. If we used big fancy renditions of the monsters, it would just look like a weapon animation. You follow? I'm having a hard time putting my thoughts into words here.

In my mind, a perfect "Gory Kill" Mod would lock the monster in front of you(Using A_Warp, maybe?) and having both the monster and the player perform a special animation. The two synchronized animations would compliment each other. For example, a simple Mortal Kombat styled uppercut decapitation. In first person, you'd see doomguy cocking his arm back and delivering a migthy uppercut. When the fist reached the height of the zombie's head he would, on cue, play an animation that would be his head popping off from the body and sent flying behind him. On paper, it doesn't sound like a very hard thing to accomplish, maybe it wouldn't even need to use ACS, or maybe just a simple script.

This is exactly what I imagined

RightField said:

For some reason I think Maes might have the answer to this one.

This inspired me to draw an awesome title screen.