Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rook

Sucker Punch [9 Small Maps for Doom II, Now on idgames]

I loaded cc4 before this and still had missing textures.  I exited the game and made this comment.  If someone can tell me what I did wrong that would be cool.

Screenshot_Doom_20180717_043231.png

4 hours ago, Bryan T said:

I loaded cc4 before this and still had missing textures.

I won't be at my own PC until later on and I haven't known anyone to have texture issues, but:

1) Did you load CC4 itself, or the texture resource WAD packaged with it (cc4-tex.wad)? It's the latter you want.

2) In any case, do the textures display correctly if you don't load the weapon mod?

Edited by Rook

Ahh ok, I loaded the wad in it's entirety.  I'll get it sorted out, thanks.

You see, I knew this is what you meant but I saw the link and downloaded.  Only now do I notice the zip file inside, oops.

4 hours ago, Bryan T said:

Ahh ok, I loaded the wad in it's entirety.  I'll get it sorted out, thanks.

No worries, I'm fairly sure it'll work. Hope you enjoy the maps - let me know what you think!

Edited by Rook

I'm happy to say that Sucker Punch is now available via the idgames archive. It still requires cc4-tex, which is linked in the first post. While there are two maps of mine available there in community projects (Plutinya 1024 and Doomworld Mega Project 2015), this my first solo entry.

Thank you again to everyone who has played and commented on the maps, and especially to @HAK3180 and @Suitepee for their recent video/stream playthroughs!

'Grats on completing this. I strongly preferred the conventional maps to the little gimmick arenas. The latter left me feeling 'that's it?', mostly. I felt these could have been twice as long without even coming close to overstaying their welcome, with a second gimmick or more conventional gameplay tossed in to avoid repetition, if needed. 05 for instance is an unfolding box where you chaingun down hitscanners ... I don't know about that. 06 was the exception for me -- a simple symmetrical arena but it can get intense thanks to the viles and the late wave of revs in close quarters. All the conventional maps are smartly designed and well structured though. I did a reality playthrough of the final map. 

Spoiler

Thanks for playing rdwpa! Your comments on the first three maps were helpful back in 2016 also.

32 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

I felt these could have been twice as long without even coming close to overstaying their welcome

I definitely know what you mean. With the more gimmick-oriented maps I was very wary of making them longer because I felt that some of them might be a little divisive (MAP04 particularly). MAP05 was originally three arenas, each accessible by teleporters and playable in any order. It was nice because completing each arena raised part of a bridge to the exit, but I found it difficult to balance to my satisfaction so I reduced it to one, multi-stage fight.

I think MAP08 is the one I'm most pleased with because it has some non-linearity, it's a bit more open, and I was able to make a fun rocket-oriented map in a small space. In the future, I think that my maps may well have less of a hard division between conventional and arena/gimmick-based play.

I recorded a playthrough of the first three maps in this wad - I may play more maps later. All around, the aesthetics were on point, and I thought the secrets were clever. I really enjoyed maps 1 and 2 and appreciated this tricky kind of monster placement I don't see very often. Map 3 was not at all my cup of tea, and I cheated to finish it. Trying to survive revenants and archviles in a tiny room with no cover is really not my idea of enjoyable Doom gameplay...

16 hours ago, meapineapple said:

I recorded a playthrough of the first three maps in this wad - I may play more maps later.

Thank you for playing and recording!

I hope you give the remaining maps a go - MAP03 is a bit of a difficulty spike but the remaining episode-ending arena-style maps (MAP06 and MAP09) are probably more forgiving. As you liked the first two maps, you'd probably enjoy MAP07 and MAP08 as well as they're in a similar style.