Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
amberleaf

Where to play?

I have come back after a long time away from Doom. I played almost every night, mapped and played multiplayer but this must have been 8-10 years ago. Back then I used to load up Doom Connector and could launch from games on numerous ports. I just feel a little out of my depth now.

What happened to Doom connector? Is there an equivalent nowadays? Skulltag has gone....Doom legacy gone?

I'd like some advise one playing DM and FFA old school. I was never too fussed about CTF.

Thanks in advance.

Zandronum is essentially SkullTag, but renamed - and very much active in terms of development and community.

EDIT:
Doom Connector is - - - uhh - - still in development, maybe? If I recall correctly, Zorcher is still working on Doom Connector version 4, but I have not heard anything further ever since the DC version 3 shutdown. Follow up history; YAY HISTORY!

Get a server browser like Doom Explorer or Doomseeker, and download Zandronum, Zdaemon and Odamex for the widest selection of servers.

Each source port has a built in server browser, but Doom Explorer is my favorite because you have all 3 ports servers listed side by side. You get a really wide selection of active games this way, and you can join all the doom related IRC chatrooms easily. There's always people willing to play.

There's tutorial to guide you through setup: https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-multiplayer/69270-posting-guidelines-multiplayer-doom-tutorial-read-this/

Nice to see more old DC users - currently, what I've linked you to is the best replacement for a DC-like experience, and its more popular too - there's usually at least 100 players in servers at any time, and many many people in each irc chatroom.

If you need any help just ask!

It looks like zdaemon is the best match for me. I played a few games on zand and it seems like most servers load that many pwads that it doesnt look or feel like doom anymore, almost like doom meets quake, which is cool but isnt my bag.

I would like to play Zdaemon but it crashes when I try to set fullscreen.

Ive started work on a new map which will keep me busy for a month or so.

Thanks

I host a series of mostly plain DM servers under the #deathmatch tag on Zandronum. The only addition is a slight improvement to the less versatile weapons in Doom's arsenal which so far have proven not to upset the balance too much for most people. There are a few purely stock servers though, you can sort gametypes in Doomseeker's filter tab to track them down, and blacklist WADs you don't like\have no interest in there.

You can also host your own servers via the Best ever or TSPG services.

Marcaek said:

You can also host your own servers via the Best ever or TSPG services.

if you're interesed to host your own servers into Best. Ever. Or The Sentinel's Playground.
go to #Bestever for Best Ever Servers or #TSPG-Painkiller or #TSPG-BritSteel for TSPG Servers.

I also host mostly plain-vanilla servers on Zandronum as well under the name FUNCRUSHER. You can find Duels, FFA, TDM and CTF.

You should ask about that fullscreen crash at zdaemon.org - that's very frustrating and I'm sure there's a way around it.

Like the guys above said, its totally worth having Zandro installed even if you're an oldschooler, classic style DM and OS Duel40 servers are more common that you might think at a glance. If you cant find an active DM on one port, you can often find it on the other :)

I host a chatroom which is essentially focused on deathmatch - irc.quakenet.org #dmstuff - I'm administrator of a few Odamex servers which we often use for small FFA, and I just put on whatever wad people are keen for. If we want to get something huge going, we venture out into Zan and ZD.

(This is why I recommend having all 3, that wide server and player selection comes in handy!)