Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fletcher`

rf1024: I don't know what's going on with this title anymore

So here's this thing I've been working off and on for a couple years. My take on the 1024 craze that I missed out on. The only main difference is that everything stays roughly within 1024 units, especially teleporting traps. It also uses new dehacked stuff, requiring either Zdoom or Eternity. 33 maps of heart-pumping action!

Requires doom 2 & either Zdoom or Eternity. I don't know if it'll work in any other mbf-compatible port.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18675596/Doomstuff/rf_1024.wad

All that's left to do is difficulty level implementation and further refining.

Ok, actually added enemies to map29 and tweaked map30. I was actually able to beat it. :V

Updated wad is in the first post.

Man, I couldnt legitimately play all of them due to time restrictions, but I did give each of them the best go I could and I was right; these things are sexy!

They were also hard as f*ck >.< lol

Still, I did legitimately beat a couple (aside from MAP29 pre-patch, lol) and I thought that that was cool because I was attempting to speedrun them so I could see as much as possible, hopefully without going over my time (which I did, lol). The changes to the weapons really helped with that, as I was able to more reliably stun-lock enemies and push my way through.

My only real gripe here is with the fact that this wasn't made for Boom, simply because I would absolutely love to see demos of these maps. Still, maybe we'll get lucky and people will just record videos and put em on YouTube instead...

Fantastic visuals throughout the mapset and great job with the PLAYPAL; I'm going to have a difficult time combing through the prolly 50 screenshots I took to find my 2 or maybe 3 favorite tomorrow after work.

Absolutely fantastic job, once again and I hope that more people play this (it might even get nominated for the Cacowards ;p ) (sure as Hell would if it were Boom-compatible).

Oh my shit this is unbelievable, seriously the funnest WAD I have played in a while.

Levels were bite size (my favorite), detailed, atmospheric and chaotic as hell. It was a blast pacing my way through these gorgeous maps and all the dehacked worked made it so fresh. I loved all the sound replacements (did you do those yourself?) and gun replacements to go with them. How you managed to get so much unique experiences and content into these tiny levels ill never know, but you did an amazing job of it.

Seriously one of my favorite megawads. Great job man!

Isn't that sword gun from Obticuary the one i see in 3rd screenshot?

Anyway downloaded right now... from screens and comments this looks real fun!

Now that's pretty cool, a sub-2h Megawad, I like it. :)

The modified weapons were actually pretty cool and it was nice to hear some alternate sounds (I love the Plasma, I think it's from Raptor). Though the BFG caught me off guard. I normally complain about lack of consistency between maps but I think in a project like this it's ok. The set is all over the place thematically which makes it pretty diverse. I enjoy 1024 stuff because it's nice to see what people come up with to make the gameplay interesting and there are definitively some cool moments here.

I played through it on HMP and overally enjoyed the gameplay. One thing that kind of annoyed me though was the over-reliance on Archviles. Basically, ever since their introduction, there was an Archvile trap on every corner - it became really predictable.

But it's very nice nonetheless. And it doesn't take forever to play through.

played through 10 maps or so, really loving it so far. the gameplay changes and additions are so cool :) especially the fire traps, that's an awesome idea!

Really liked the item balance, I've played the first 8 maps continuously and never got overstocked. In fact, I had very little ammo at the end of the maps, it almost felt like playing them from pistol start. Great mapset so far, very fun.

I played through the whole thing on UV.
Towards the end there is a little too much ammo, and an over-reliance on Arch viles. The BFG replacement also doesn't seem like a good choice for a 1024 map, since almost every time I used it I ended up killing myself. The maps all looked great and I love the variation of themes. The monster replacements were good too, especially since they fit into the limited space better than the original monsters would have. I noticed one HOM on a map, but I forgot to write down the map name. It was in the MAP20-MAP28 range and was flesh-themed. There was a step that was missing a lower texture there.

This wad is awesome, I'm really liking the pace of combat, the gameplay modifications that lead to faster gameplay, the feel of all the unique resources, and the overall balance, more than well done for a 1024 wad. Cacoward nomination++.

rf can you convert the new sounds to the Doom sound format? Some of them are in WAVE format and I can't convert them because SLADE complains about them not being 8bit mono.

It's a shame that this doesn't work in more source ports.

At first, I was overjoyed that someone has used (non-gay) Descent music in a mod for once. But then I got disapointed by some of the custom crap that was included in it. The new BFG is particularly bad; why did author choose to replace it with weapon that had big spread and huge splash damage in mapset with tight spaces and a narrow corridors is beyond me. When the crappy BFG killed me a few times, I excised most of the custom cancer out in Slade3. After that, the maps were much more enjoyable - not exactly easy, but also not particularly hard. Oh, and here are some minor bugs I noticed along the way:

-Map15: HOMs are briefly visible on linedefs 245 and 247 when the sectors around the megasphere are moving up.

-Map22: HOM in one of the symbols near the exit, I think it is on linedef 511.

-Map24: unclosed sector at linedef 270. It becomes visible after you lower stairs to the blue key.

In MAP10 (running GZDoom 2.0.05) the switch behind the yellow door (that opens the exit switch) doesn't activate. I had to noclip through the protrusion in front of it and press my face right up against the switch to activate it.

Never mind, I had the special-lines-block-use-lines compat flag turned on for whatever reason...

I tested the first ten maps of this in gzdoom and then tried switching over to prboom+ 2.5.1.4 -complevel 11. Gameplay wise the experience was seemingly identical and there were no immediately obvious problems with the maps. The only thing that was didn't work was some of your custom sound effects. prboom+ replaced quite a few of them with screeching static.

I'm not very technical so i'm not sure what causes this and if it can be fixed. I'm also aware that there may be features on later maps that might not be compatible. That said, it'd be nice there was way to make this wad fully compatible with prboom+ for demo recording and so on if it at all feasible.

Quite an enjoyable set of levels so far. I'm looking forward to playing the rest of the maps from ten onwards later.

Given the lack of a response from rf here, I wonder what mod changed the thread title; it cracks me up.

Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one that would have loved to see this in Boom for demos. Maybe there will be hope for that in the future, though I suspect some things will have to go or be changed in order to make that happen.

Wouldn't mind seeing Rayzik upload some videos of this to YouTube.

I did have a similar complaint about the arch-viles, maps are generally quite fun but even I felt pretty bogged down with the arch-vile encounters later on. Most of the vile encounters were the ammo starvation type rather than being very much about using the environment to dodge them. AKA if the vile's were in a bad spot and my 6 rockets failed, I was dead.

I think this is likely issues faced with the 1024 theme going on so I would be interested to see your encounters on some bigger maps. (doesn't have to be huge but even 2048 x 2048 leaves much more room for experimentation.)

Overall quite fun, enjoyed the weapon and sprite changes but disliked the very predictable arch-vile pressure after the secret maps.

I've been sporadically playing through this throughout the day, and I have a few things. I'm not a fan of the first 5 maps. I feel that they don't use the 1024x1024 mapping space in any kind of interesting fashion, and are just regular maps that have been shrunk and therefore have awful scope and movement. I'm really not a fan of 1024x1024 as it is, though, so you may want to take my issues here with a grain of salt? As it stands, I really feel that they require replacing so as to meet the same level of quality as the rest of the maps.

That said, I feel that the maps become much more fun to play from around e2 onwards (with a few late e1 maps also being good), and by around mid-way through the wad I've started to fall in love with how you handle monster placement and the unique spacial aspects of 1024x1024 gameplay. Everything feels just about the right level of hectic, and it's really satisfying to come out of a skirmish without dying. For what it's worth, I've been playing on UV without save states, and from pistol start, and have had about... I guess a dozen or so deaths? I've played through to Map 26 so far. Deaths feel quite fair, in that I'm usually largely at fault through poor playing or poor planning of my resources (without ever really feeling starved of ammo for most of my playing).

In regards to ammo, I think most of my deaths have also been due to me simply running out of resources whilst a vile is busy resurrecting things behind a wall of bodies I can't quite kill quickly enough. However, I don't have a problem with this: the maps are small and arcade-y enough that dying means that I just need to play the last couple minutes of gameplay again, and everything in e2/e3 is fun enough that I don't mind having to do that! Really bullshit 'viles are probably my favourite trope of the entire wad, actually. I appreciate that they encourage me to manage my resources to the best of my abilities, and also to really analyse the map architecture to best guess where they're about to spawn in so as to mitigate their bullshit.

My other complaint is that I don't really get why there's a new human replacement and why he appears for a handful of maps in e1 and then seemingly vanishes from the rest of the maps. I still need to play the last 5 maps, so I may just be about to encounter a million more of them. Regardless, they really don't seem to do anything for me, gameplay-wise, and they commit the godawful custom enemy sin of having way too much health. I get that they're cyborg/metal pistol guys or whatever, but they're really unsatisfying to fight and kill. I really hope you address this monster in some fashion, as it feels like wasted potential.

Finally, and while this is minor, it also feels really important to me (!): the lost souls feel like they have too much health. The smaller fast-paced maps completely don't fit in with standard lost soul stats, and I feel they could be much better employed and much more fun to kill if they died in a single shotgun blast.

Anyway, aside from all my whining, I'm really enjoying this wad. Great job!

(here's hoping the last 5 maps aren't dogshit!)

edit: played the last 5 maps, glad they weren't dogshit. They were much harder, however, especially #26 and #28. Those were two maps - alongside map 20 - where I had to break my no save-state rule to actually finish it. I have no idea how anyone can beat the ambush at the end of 26 without some kind of save usage, which is a shame.

One last thing that I have to give major love towards (spoiled because of boss monsters, I guess????)

Spoiler

The idea of changing the large boss monsters into Baron-sized equivalents so they can freely move around such small maps is a fantastic idea! The final map in particular was really wonderful and satisfying.

Lots of fun, this. If you loved Mapgame you'll love this equally or more. :D

The new weapons are a barrel of fun, only the BFG 1024 felt a bit off-kilter given you can kill yourself with it with ridiculous ease. I'm gonna play through this again on UV this time instead of HMP since it's definitely a challenging and entertaining playthrough.

Favorite map by far was "Burn Me". Some great mechanics and looks in that map. :> Least favorite might have been "Napalm Gardens" because fuck archviles sometimes, seriously.

Additionally, I feel like the maps here never made much use of space outside the confining 1024x1024 box - very few decorative outer areas or spaces to give the illusion of more width and depth to the maps. Looking at the automap, I found it odd that monster closets were included within that space as well. I feel like you could be more free and creative with the map layouts and architecture if you took these two things into account. :P

EDIT: I must confess one thing I didn't particularly like was the new platform sound (DSSTNMOV). Really grated on the ears that one, heh. But it was loud and heavy enough to really shout out to me where things were moving, I guess!

Will this work with PrBoom+ v2.5.1.4 -complevel 11? Despite the fact it's MBF-compatible. I know that Valiant and Mayan Mishap worked with the 2.5.1.4 build of PrBoom+ and -complevel 11.

Oh boy. So many people to respond to. This is what I get for having a steady job!

VGA said:

rf can you convert the new sounds to the Doom sound format? Some of them are in WAVE format and I can't convert them because SLADE complains about them not being 8bit mono.

It's a shame that this doesn't work in more source ports.

I fixed those now. However I kept a copy of DSMETAL as DSMETOLD because the conversion lost some quality to it. Maybe someone else can give it a try.

Caleb13 said:

At first, I was overjoyed that someone has used (non-gay) Descent music in a mod for once. But then I got disapointed by some of the custom crap that was included in it. The new BFG is particularly bad; why did author choose to replace it with weapon that had big spread and huge splash damage in mapset with tight spaces and a narrow corridors is beyond me. When the crappy BFG killed me a few times, I excised most of the custom cancer out in Slade3. After that, the maps were much more enjoyable - not exactly easy, but also not particularly hard. Oh, and here are some minor bugs I noticed along the way:

I've tested the bfg a lot, and it just takes some practice to use effectively. I thought just having a normal bfg would be too easy for such small maps. There's no trade-off for using such a powerful weapon. Treat it as a much more dangerous version of the rocket launcher that lets you cover a lot of ground.

I may tweak it a little using the same pointer as the flame jets.

-Map15: HOMs are briefly visible on linedefs 245 and 247 when the sectors around the megasphere are moving up.

Those are now fixed.

-Map22: HOM in one of the symbols near the exit, I think it is on linedef 511.

Can you take a screenshot of this? I'm looking at it and not seeing anything amiss.

-Map24: unclosed sector at linedef 270. It becomes visible after you lower stairs to the blue key.

And with this one. I'm still finding no error.

an_mutt said:

I've been sporadically playing through this throughout the day, and I have a few things. I'm not a fan of the first 5 maps. I feel that they don't use the 1024x1024 mapping space in any kind of interesting fashion, and are just regular maps that have been shrunk and therefore have awful scope and movement. I'm really not a fan of 1024x1024 as it is, though, so you may want to take my issues here with a grain of salt? As it stands, I really feel that they require replacing so as to meet the same level of quality as the rest of the maps.

I can partially agree with that, as the first few maps were actually made several years ago. That's how long I've been mulling over this project. :P

That said, I feel that the maps become much more fun to play from around e2 onwards (with a few late e1 maps also being good), and by around mid-way through the wad I've started to fall in love with how you handle monster placement and the unique spacial aspects of 1024x1024 gameplay. Everything feels just about the right level of hectic, and it's really satisfying to come out of a skirmish without dying. For what it's worth, I've been playing on UV without save states, and from pistol start, and have had about... I guess a dozen or so deaths? I've played through to Map 26 so far. Deaths feel quite fair, in that I'm usually largely at fault through poor playing or poor planning of my resources (without ever really feeling starved of ammo for most of my playing).

In regards to ammo, I think most of my deaths have also been due to me simply running out of resources whilst a vile is busy resurrecting things behind a wall of bodies I can't quite kill quickly enough. However, I don't have a problem with this: the maps are small and arcade-y enough that dying means that I just need to play the last couple minutes of gameplay again, and everything in e2/e3 is fun enough that I don't mind having to do that! Really bullshit 'viles are probably my favourite trope of the entire wad, actually. I appreciate that they encourage me to manage my resources to the best of my abilities, and also to really analyse the map architecture to best guess where they're about to spawn in so as to mitigate their bullshit.

I'm naturally conservative with my own ammo useage, so I may have to add a little more in some maps. Also note, I have not implemented difficulty settings yet in most maps.

My other complaint is that I don't really get why there's a new human replacement and why he appears for a handful of maps in e1 and then seemingly vanishes from the rest of the maps. I still need to play the last 5 maps, so I may just be about to encounter a million more of them. Regardless, they really don't seem to do anything for me, gameplay-wise, and they commit the godawful custom enemy sin of having way too much health. I get that they're cyborg/metal pistol guys or whatever, but they're really unsatisfying to fight and kill. I really hope you address this monster in some fashion, as it feels like wasted potential.

Call it oversight. Some maps I made and totally forgot I had them! I might lower their health a little, but yeah, as cyborgs they should be a little tougher. Chaingunners may be threatening instantly, but they go down quickly. These guys are are more bothersome for longer periods of time. I think they have reduced painchances too.

Finally, and while this is minor, it also feels really important to me (!): the lost souls feel like they have too much health. The smaller fast-paced maps completely don't fit in with standard lost soul stats, and I feel they could be much better employed and much more fun to kill if they died in a single shotgun blast.

Apart from the bosses and the nazi replacement, I did not alter any other enemy. I didn't feel there was any need. The weapons were made faster or more damaging to speed up progression.

edit: played the last 5 maps, glad they weren't dogshit. They were much harder, however, especially #26 and #28. Those were two maps - alongside map 20 - where I had to break my no save-state rule to actually finish it. I have no idea how anyone can beat the ambush at the end of 26 without some kind of save usage, which is a shame.

I'm able to beat each map without saving. I think its mostly knowing when and where the ambushes will show up so that you can deal with them.

One last thing that I have to give major love towards (spoiled because of boss monsters, I guess????)

Spoiler

The idea of changing the large boss monsters into Baron-sized equivalents so they can freely move around such small maps is a fantastic idea! The final map in particular was really wonderful and satisfying.

I'm glad you enjoyed that map! That was by far the most hastily rushed map out of all of them so I was a little sketchy about it.

Lingyan203 said:

Will this work with PrBoom+ v2.5.1.4 -complevel 11? Despite the fact it's MBF-compatible. I know that Valiant and Mayan Mishap worked with the 2.5.1.4 build of PrBoom+ and -complevel 11.

I genuinely don't know. It does use a lot of MBF-only dehacked stuff like the beta bfg, extra frames, and A_Detonate stuff for flame jets. prboom may either omit them entirely or replace them with A_Explode which would make them deal rocket damage. Not exactly ideal.

---
Alright. Updated mapset now:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18675596/Doomstuff/rf_1024.wad

As requested, here are the screenshots. I took them in Zdoom 2.8pre-1805 and I used the fixed WAD version from the last post. And I found one more HOM and one more unclosed sector...

Spoiler