Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jasper Carmack

[FOUND] Doom Sky source files

Hi all!

I've been continuing on something of a scavenger hunt to locate the original assetts used to produce DOOM art. Part of this effort has been in buying the original toys / chainsaws etc that were photographed for use as weapons, but I've also come upon something I think you'll all enjoy!

Doom 1s SKY1

Doom 2s RSKY1

Doom 2s RSKY2

(Overlaid together by El_Zee)

And here's the raw, uncompressed versions of each (or rather, in the best quality the cd offers as they all come in multiple file formats).

While hunting around, I tracked down the media clip CD that the original SKY1 was taken from, and well, I also found some of the other original sky files were floating around on there.

Figured you guys might enjoy seeing the original files from which the skies came from.

More to come shortly! I have more of the cd-roms from the same family en-route as we speak so who knows what we'll find.

Wow, how did you recognize that cloud pattern for the Doom2 sky? Great find though! Would you happen to have a link without the Doom sky graphics overlayed?

Is there perhaps any information about who took the photos or where exactly they're from? The shuttle launch is kinda obvious, and I'm cure the E1 sky comes from China, but it'd be nice to have the details.

Awesome stuff :)

Wow that's a great find!

At first I was a bit confused on the last sky, but I guess they drew the destroyed building's silhouettes on top of the exhaust cloud, or something. Idk how your eye was that good, but props on these y'all!

Doomkid said:

Wow, how did you recognize that cloud pattern for the Doom2 sky? Great find though! Would you happen to have a link without the Doom sky graphics overlayed?

Is there perhaps any information about who took the photos or where exactly they're from? The shuttle launch is kinda obvious, and I'm cure the E1 sky comes from China, but it'd be nice to have the details.

Awesome stuff :)

I suppose logic was what found it - I found the Doom 1 sky and thought to myself, if they found one sky on here, why not others? The CD rom they are on is called "Media Clips" by Aris Entertainment. The CD I'm specifically searching on is "The Best of Media Clips" as there's various ones such as "Media Clips Majestic Places", "Media Clips New York City", "Media Clips Wild Places" etc. I'm getting some of these in the mail soon so we might find more :D

So after poking around for about 20 seconds, I saw the sunset one and thought huh, that has a lot of clouds in it, just like RSKY1. Two seconds later, El_Zee matched it and confirmed it.

SKY1 was taken in Yangshuo Cavern, near Guilin, China, photographed by Tom Atwood. Not sure about the other ones.

What are the paths and file names of these pictures on the CD?

Can you post of the picture of the CD itself?

Gez said:

What are the paths and file names of these pictures on the CD?

Can you post of the picture of the CD itself?

D:\TIFF\MAJEST3.TIF (Green SKY1 mountains)
D:\TIFF\WILD4.TIF (Doom 2 RSKY1 with clouds)
D:\TIFF\WORLD2.TIF (Doom 2 rocket-blast RSKY2 with thick clouds)

I actually located the CD via archive.org as an ISO, I've put up a directory listing with thumbnails for you;

Stupidity inbound for massive image, but oh well~

And as for the CD itself, El_Zee found an article on the MAJESTIC PLACES one from which SKY1 came from;

http://www.elisoftware.org/index.php?title=Majestic_Places_%28PC_and_Mac,_CD-ROM%29_Aris_Entertainment_-_1992_USA,_Canada_Release

Wow... I always wanted to know the source of that sky texture... And this is just awesome. Congratulations, you've dig up the treasure! :)

Nice find. Always fascinating to see stuff like this.

Huh. Whaddya you know. How long until people start using these as a source for classic-style sky textures? Specifically the orangutan, of course.

antares031 said:

http://puu.sh/mO2iS/f875f376b5.png

Wow... I always wanted to know the source of that sky texture... And this is just awesome. Congratulations, you've dig up the treasure! :)

MFG38 said:

Nice find. Always fascinating to see stuff like this.

Jaxxoon R said:

Huh. Whaddya you know. How long until people start using these as a source for classic-style sky textures? Specifically the orangutan, of course.

You're welcome, and stay tuned - More to come as I dig through these CDs :D

Mark my words, I -will- find all sky texures, including the hell skies.

We've found another one! The earth source from the press release beta SKY2.

I feel like it's the same image on that computer screen of earth[patch TSCRN4, Doom.wad], but couldn't get it to line up.

The copyright notice is funny, since presumably they got it from NASA, who releases all their photos to the public domain.

Blackmantis said:

I suppose logic was what found it - I found the Doom 1 sky and thought to myself, if they found one sky on here, why not others? The CD rom they are on is called "Media Clips" by Aris Entertainment. The CD I'm specifically searching on is "The Best of Media Clips" as there's various ones such as "Media Clips Majestic Places", "Media Clips New York City", "Media Clips Wild Places" etc. I'm getting some of these in the mail soon so we might find more :D

I'd love to know more about your hunt for the source files. How did you come to check these specific CDs?

Reinchard said:

Earth used in Doom1 texture is taken from the famous photo from Apollo 17 mission:
http://imgur.com/mx4bdfy
I know that because I use it in my hires pack.

Yep, you're right! I just stumbled on that image and was about to post it :)
It's rotated 90 degrees in the game image.

Impressive find. I've known about the Yangshuo mountain image being the sky for KDITD for donkey's years, but the rest is all new to me. Very nice.

Edit:
Oh and the NASA photo of Earth being used as an unused/removed sky. I mean it's only one of the most famous images of the planet, on the planet!

Interesting find, especially the source of Doom II's RSKY2.

I wonder what else you'll pull out of that magic hat of yours. :P

jute said:

I'd love to know more about your hunt for the source files. How did you come to check these specific CDs?

So initially, I read up on a site way back when that the photo of SKY1 was on a cd called "Media Clips", and photographed by Tom Atwood. Given that the name of the jpeg that other people had discovered for SKY1 was called MAJESTIC2.jpg, I assumed it was on the Media Clips "Majestic Places" cd.

I hunted around and found a digital ISO on archive.org of "Media Clips, best of" and fired it up. It contained 5 images from each of their Wild Places collection, Majestic Places collection and World view collection (as well as a few others). I am 99% certain that ID Software used Wild Places, Majestic Places and World View, but not the others as they're unusual/specific cd collections such as "Money of the world" etc and haven't generally much scenery.

So I was browsing around and figured, logically, if ID Software had access to these, surely they'd use as much as they could find on the disc. The SKY1 photo showed up as expected under the MAJESTIC2 name, and so that was an easy find, but as I was going through others, I noticed in the sunset image "Wow, that would make a good skybox texture for doom" since it had nice clouds. Lo and behold, I cut/pasted it over RSKY1 and it immediately clicked that this was the rsky 1 texture - pure luck though. So with that, I started looking at each sky and trying to note patterns, shading etc, the RSKY2 one showed up fairly quickly since it looked like ground zero, and so the photo of the Columbia shuttle taking off was a good start.

So a few months ago as you might've seen - John Romero posted a stack of unused DOOM dev textures. One of them was this;

I took a look on the CD, and five seconds later...

It seems ID have heavily used a lot of the royalty free photos for any photo-esque textures in the game. Obviously stuff like dirt patterns and rock faces are much much harder to track, but I'll keep looking.

At the moment, I'm trying to source these;

And as for the E4 sky - as it comes from the endgame image, I'd imagine it was painted rather than photographed, but I will keep my horribly blind eyes peeled regardless.

Another of Romeros posts contained this, some kind of rock stalagnite[sic?]

Which turned out to be the canyons in this;

Also - that Pillar base is actually the Tootsietoy Ol' Painless Gatling gun!

I think we're rapidly honing in on the original sources for the 5 un-found skybox textures above :D stay tuned.

HavoX said:

Interesting find, especially the source of Doom II's RSKY2.

I wonder what else you'll pull out of that magic hat of yours. :P

I know I've said this a thousand times and gotten distracted, but stay tuned for awesome real-life Tootsietoy Dakota photos, chaingun photos, plasma gun photos and Bfg photos. I just need to pull myself away from these old texture cds long enough to get photos of them~

printz said:

The Deimos mountains are still unknown?

These ones? If so, then not for long. I'll bet everyone here that I can find them within the next week ;)

Jaws In Space said:

It looks very similar to the CARL textures of TNT Evilution & if so, then it is from the Carlsbad Caverns.

By heck, I think you're right.

Also for anyone who's just tuning in and curious as to what the guns were photographed from;

http://imgur.com/a/YDTXV

Wow nice work Blackmantis! I too am very curious about the source for the Doom2 E3 mountains. The sky is clearly red SKINFACE with one of the FIREWALx variants, I forget the name. Now that I look at it, the mountains sort of look like one of the many ASHWALL variants that didn't make the cut or a scaled down SP_ROCK with some kind of transparent layer on top. It seems very plausible to me that it could just be a rocky texture cutout in the shape of mountains and with a little artistic magic, given some depth.

Btw I dont know how it never occurred to me how poorly the Doom2 E1 sky tiled. Its awful!

40oz said:

Wow nice work Blackmantis! I too am very curious about the source for the Doom2 E3 mountains. The sky is clearly red SKINFACE with one of the FIREWALx variants, I forget the name. Now that I look at it, the mountains sort of look like one of the many ASHWALL variants that didn't make the cut or a scaled down SP_ROCK with some kind of transparent layer on top. It seems very plausible to me that it could just be a rocky texture cutout in the shape of mountains and with a little artistic magic, given some depth.

It looks to possibly be that way.

The mountains of SKY3 are basically the mountains of SKY2 scaled down and with a detail layer on top.

If I can find SKY2s photo, then we effectively find both Sky2 and Sky3s source.

Versus said:

Great foundings! Where can I download this ISO?

https://archive.org/download/The_Best_of_MediaClips_2.0.1_Aris_Entertainment_1994/The_Best_of_MediaClips_2.0.1_Aris_Entertainment_1994.iso