Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
RottingZombie

doomworld idgames archives question

I hope this is an ok place to ask,

How come some megawads are in the /ports directory, and some are just in doom2/megawads, even if they don't seem to require a port? For example Dwango20 vs Dwango21, the latter of which is in deathmatch/ports/megawads, but the former is in deathmatch/megawads. It isn't a big deal just curious as i try to keep many of these files with the same structure on my second HDD.

edit: Oh I see in the dwango21.txt file it may not run with other .exe's besides zdaemon, odamex, zandronum, my bad!

So do all files in the ports category require ports? I swear I've seen some that didn't, but I may be mistaken given my inability to read dwango21.txt correctly.

This is a gamers.org idgames archive question, not a DW idgames database question. I really wish I had put more effort into make a clear distinction between the two.

That said, anything in a /Ports/ subdirectory that can run in vanilla is miscategorized and should be reported.

They are not the same. The idgames archive is a service run by gamers.org and mirrored by various places around the world. The Doomworld idgames database is a website that scrapes that archive and provides a somewhat more modern frontend to it.

When I first programmed the idgames database, I barely gave any thought to potential confusion, because at the point there (obviously) was no alternative to just browsing the FTP file tree, so there was no way to confuse it with anything. Nowadays we have, like, a whole generation of players who have basically no idea that /idgames is an entity unassociated with Doomworld in any way.

Ahh, that's what I figured. What I meant by the same is, do they lead to the same files. I used the old archive back in the day and figured doomworld was just a frontend, but for some reason I thought someone from DW was managing that archive also now. Sorry :). I'm getting dumb in my middle years and thanks for the reply.

RottingZombie said:

but for some reason I thought someone from DW was managing that archive also now.

Yes, but the archive still isn't a part of Doomworld itself.

Bloodshedder said:

Yes, but the archive still isn't a part of Doomworld itself.

I got that ;), i just asked here because i thought someone on doomworld who manages either the files or frontend would know the answer to my lame question. I don't have an account or even know if gamers.org has forums.