Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Goosepants

Getting to the secret level at Mt Erebus, can't make the jump

I've tried numerous times but I can't get in the blue walls to access the secret level. I play on ps3 but that shouldn't matter, they put it in the game. I go to the big side of the platform and make the leap but can never get in. Any tips?

Marnetmar said:

You're supposed to grab the nearby Invulnerability sphere and rocketjump backwards off of the ledge.

I never even realized this, I always just sr40'd to it.

That's really odd, do you have a source for that? I don't doubt it, I'm just curious. Was there a reason given why they removed it?

Doomkid said:

That's really odd, do you have a source for that? I don't doubt it, I'm just curious. Was there a reason given why they removed it?

It's more just a function of the analog movement of a control stick as opposed to the digital movement of a keyboard. It wasn't intentionally patched out, but rather a side effect of the nature of the control scheme.

Meh. First time getting to E3M9 was by mashing the walls until I found the secret, just like in Wolf3D. Basically, I kept hitting the space key on the blue box until I wonderfully hit the exit switch. I believe id even made a patch to prevent that, but apparently they failed. I wasn't aware of rocket jumping and wasn't crazy/suicidal enough to try it (in fact I was totally afraid to use the rocket launcher).

Yeah, rocket jumping is the intended way to do it. I don't think the official levels were created with strafe running in mind since you can break many of them by doing it.