Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thesecondcomingdoom

Can anyone recommend me tools to make levels?

Use SLADE3 and GZDoomBuilder. XWE is outdated and critically bugged, and Doom Builder 2 is outdated too (in comparison to GZDoomBuilder).

scifista42 said:

Use SLADE3 and GZDoomBuilder. XWE is outdated and critically bugged, and Doom Builder 2 is outdated too (in comparison to GZDoomBuilder).

Thanks, i just downloaded these both. When i start gzdoom builder to make a new map, i chose GZDOOM UDMF

When i tried to create the map, i got this

It marks coordinate [0,0]. You can start drawing sectors and adding things to your map now. Rather than asking me how to, please find a tutorial. A Doom Builder 2 tutorial will help you with using GZDoom Builder as well, as GZDB is based on DB2.

scifista42 said:

I've been using DB2 for a long time and nothing else. In what ways is GZDoomBuilder better?

scifista42 said:

It marks coordinate [0,0]. You can start drawing sectors and adding things to your map now. Rather than asking me how to, please find a tutorial. A Doom Builder 2 tutorial will help you with using GZDoom Builder as well, as GZDB is based on DB2.

Oh thanks, i learned to draw sectors and change textures and spawn things. Time to make a map!

Edit : Wow! Dynamic lights! I knew udmf was a good format
Edit2 : Scripting?

DooM_RO said:

I've been using DB2 for a long time and nothing else. In what ways is GZDoomBuilder better?

DB2 is fine, I still use it too, because I don't really need the GZDB's advancements. GZDB is pretty much just like DB2 (and just as easy to use on the surface), but with:

-more editing-related features (generating geometrical shapes or grids of them, sound propagation mode...)
-more flexibility/customization in options
-slopes, 3D floors and dynamic lights being visible in 3D visual mode
-some useful plugins are GZDB-specific, like the 3D floor plugin by boris (maybe it's even a built-in feature now, I'm not sure)

Friendly advice, unless you really know what you are doing, don't atempt scripting if you don't have any experience in mapping. Try to learn the basics first.

Da Eediot said:

Doom Builder 2 is the best for making WADs. It's simple and there are many tutorials on how to use it.

But GZDoomBuilder is even more advanced and features some important tools and stuff that DB2 doesn't have like the ability to change an Object Position manually and several other things ...