Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jaws In Space

TNT Revilution: Final release now on ID Games!

11 hours ago, Jaws In Space said:

Welp here it is pretty much ready to go. There are still a few more minor things that need to be done before the idgames release, but I think it's safe to target a release date of Friday May 5th.

Revilution Beta

Things to do before final release

- Map 26 needs difficulty settings

- A few E3 maps still need par times

- Coop needs to be tested on maps 18-30

- About 5 maps need DM placement

- Replace the demos

Map 15 and 16 are not vanilla-compatible. They crash because there are too much scrolling linedefs. 

Edited by axdoomer

$ tnswutil -c coopstarts -w TNTR_B5.wad
---MAP27 1 0 0 0

https://rhinoduck.net/wiki/tnswutil

I started two public survival servers on ZDaemon for some casual demon slaying:

89.221.208.147:10619 Ducks just PLAY - TNT: Revilution

89.221.208.147:10719 Ducks feel PAIN - TNT: Revilution [fast and powerful monsters]

Settings: freelook enabled, items respawn, finitely tall actors

(these are compromises for public servers which can sometimes see large numbers of players, the remaining settings should be as vanilla-like as possible)

Edited by rhinoduck

3 hours ago, General Rainbow Bacon said:

Final Beta huh?

So where's map 30?

They still don't want us to see their super-cool final boss until the final release.

Spoilers: The final boss is actually 10 Icons of Sin except they're also Cyber demons whose missiles spawn 5 enemies at a time. Prepare for suffering! 

21 minutes ago, NecrumWarrior said:

Spoilers: The final boss is actually 10 Icons of Sin except they're also Cyber demons whose missiles spawn 5 enemies at a time. Prepare for suffering! 

This is a surprisingly good guess!

Also I told Jaws I'd handle doing the par times.

Regarding stuff:  I overshot the shells because of the pain elementals.  if people think there is too much, I can certainly starve a bit for UV.

Texture wise, I am always shit. My devilution maps are also criticized for crap texturing.  And by devilution I mean every single map I have ever made.  Ill address what you suggested but yeah my maps are always ugly as sin.  My general aesthetic is vomiting licorice on a plaid shirt.

Re: gameplay.  Yeah I can do that.

While no-clipping on map 14 on "Hurt me plenty". It's the same for the other shotgun guys behind the grid on the other side. 

jZNwGZ6m.png

@ Not Jabba

That's great, but the map needs to be tested just as much if not more than the other maps.  They need to pull their heads out their asses and stop treating this map 30 like it's God's gift to doom and let it get tested just like everything else.   What if the map sucks, but because Dobu's attached to the boss monster, no third party gets to put in helpful ideas?  Just saying that not testing your shit is a bad idea.

Edited by General Rainbow Bacon : New information

19 hours ago, gaspe said:

I don't agree at all with the change of the midi to my map, Total NoThingness doesn't really fit for it. Aren't there other midis available?

I must agree with gaspe here, I liked the midi in the previous versions of this wad and the new track for this map changes the atmosphere and not for the better in my opinion. 

I guess I could ask Jaws directly here, but why was there a need to change some of the midis in this? My E1 map was another example though I found another midi I felt comfortable with. But for map19 it seems like a change has been made to the detriment of the map in my opinion and of course the mapper who has made the map in the first place.

I already choose another midi that goes better with the map. The change was already decided the last month though, but I picked Grandfather Clocktower to replace the original midi. I'm still a bit disappointed to see the original track gone but Jaws explained me that he wanted to cut out the midis by UltimateDoomer666 because they don't match the quality of the other tracks.

3 hours ago, cannonball said:

I guess I could ask Jaws directly here, but why was there a need to change some of the midis in this?

I didn't like any of TheUltimateDoomer midi's. Anyways I gave gaspe a list of midi's to chose from & he found one that he liked better than Total NoThingness. That being said, I'm still going to find a spot for Total NoThingness somewhere in this wad, I'll just have to do it for one of my own maps.

5 hours ago, General Rainbow Bacon said:

That's great, but the map needs to be tested just as much if not more than the other maps.  They need to pull their heads out their asses and stop treating this map 30 like it's God's gift to doom and let it get tested just like everything else.   What if the map sucks, but because Dobu's attached to the boss monster, no third party gets to put in helpful ideas?  Just saying that not testing your shit is a bad idea.

If they don't want to "spoil" the boss in a beta, they could always replace it with a cyberdemon or whatever and let people check if the map, in itself, seems fine.

Man you guys must be really whiny around birthdays and Christmas. We have a fine team of testers and we've learned our mistakes from the first beta. You'll just have to wait and be grumpy until may 5th rolls around.

That's a good idea Gez.  I'm sick of seeing great map projects get ruined by shitty map 30's because the authors either don't care or think the map is way more awesome than it actually is.  You know the ones.   

More on topic, I think it's fairly reasonably to hold back an inventive map30 if you don't want to spoil the surprise. They're usually fairly small and don't exactly need lots of people to chip in with playtesting.

6 hours ago, Jaws In Space said:

I didn't like any of TheUltimateDoomer midi's. Anyways I gave gaspe a list of midi's to chose from & he found one that he liked better than Total NoThingness. That being said, I'm still going to find a spot for Total NoThingness somewhere in this wad, I'll just have to do it for one of my own maps.

Ah that's fair enough, it seems I was a little late in posting given Gaspe's reply :)

No problems on map30 being held until the final release, if it is small and gimmicky then hopefully any bugs/issues should be easily stamped out by any playtesters, well that is the theory *cough*BTSX*cough* :P

4 hours ago, General Rainbow Bacon said:

That's a good idea Gez.

Mmmm certain parts of the layout are designed to accommodate the boss, so I'd contest it'd still be "spoilery" even in a bossless version... kinda like if you saw some pillars and a pile of monster corpses, you could deduce an archvile is going to warp in there. Also to assuage your unjustified fear, I highly doubt the map is going to suck—currently my only concern is that it might be too difficult, but that's why we're doing private playtesting.

Eris' point about co-op testing still stands, however.

1 hour ago, dobu gabu maru said:

I highly doubt the map is going to suck

It's a boss map. So it's going to suck. (Unless Kassman, Xaser or Alfonzo made it. :P)

As soon as this is released I'm going to warp to 30 and shit all over that boss with iddqd and idfa. That'll teach him.

3 hours ago, dobu gabu maru said:

Eris' point about co-op testing still stands, however.

Looking for co-op problems in a single map is not as bad as having to look for co-op problems in 32 maps. I participated in the last TNS so I've got better knowledge of what to actually be looking for when checking for things that will cause map breakages.

3 hours ago, Tarnsman said:

It's a boss map. So it's going to suck. (Unless Kassman, Xaser or Alfonzo made it. :P)

Ohh, you're so cruel.

So yeah, I'm not going to record demos for all the maps like I originally hoped. I am pretty terrible at this game lol! But I am enjoying it so far, kudos on the great megawad.

1 hour ago, NecrumWarrior said:

I am pretty terrible at this game lol! 

Stop being so hard on yourself all the time. It makes me sad when people do this. Doom doesn't really have much of a git gud culture*. Even among top-tier players -- when I got into speedrunning I thought all of the bigshots would make fun of all my mistakes, but that hasn't happened at all, despite plenty of mistakes in all of my runs.

*The only people who get mocked are those who hate [insert hard wad or type of wad here] and call it luckbased and unfair, when it's not and they shouldn't play said wad on UV, and those who insist that wads should be beatable on a 1st foreknowledge-less attempt on UV (by them), etc. . . . that sort of thing. 

Edited by rdwpa

23 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

Stop being so hard on yourself all the time. It makes me sad when people do this. Doom doesn't really have much of a git gud culture*. Even among top-tier players -- when I got into speedrunning I thought all of the bigshots would make fun of all my mistakes, but that hasn't happened at all, despite plenty of mistakes in all of my runs.

*The only people who get mocked are those who hate [insert hard wad or type of wad here] and call it luckbased and unfair, when it's not and they shouldn't play said wad on UV, and those who insist that wads should be beatable on a 1st foreknowledge-less attempt on UV (by them), etc. . . . that sort of thing. 

I am joking most of the time when I say that. I am not actually down on myself, I have no actual expectations of how good I should be at a game that came out over 20 years ago. In truth I see myself about average skill at Doom, which I am fine with. It can be frustrating since a lot of modern levels are made very difficult, even on HMP. But it feels good when I improve, which I see in myself playing Ancient Aliens right now which has been enlightening.

What I should have said is I don't want to waste your time with a bunch of demos of me dying repeatedly. But I suppose that can be just as useful from a development standpoint as a demo where someone is amazing. I can keep posting demos if y'all want, I just think that I discovered how to do it and have gone a little crazy recording practically everything I touch. I'm here to have a good time though, and am very much enjoying my experience on Doomworld so don't be sad!

FDA of me and AutoDoom going until level 3. I stopped when the bot reported not knowing where to go.

The mod doesn't look like TNT really to me. It has much more detail and not that many gimmicks. Reminds me more of a slightly less detailed Back to Saturn X Episode 1.

tntr_b5.zip