Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jaws In Space

TNT Revilution: Final release now on ID Games!

I noticed Convilution has missing textures; I think it'd be nice if it didn't have to run off of resource WADs as it is currently. Also that sky it has is horrendous and needs to be done away with entirely (as well as the interpic).

tourniquet said:

No clue if it's something i'd consider as a TNT style map, at least it's one of the most awkward things i've ever made. Skill settings are implemented.

This is definitely a different kind of map from you, tourniquet. It's the easiest one I've played since Aberinkula, and it has the most cramped rooms -- not all, just a few. It looks good, as all your maps do, and it plays well, though I was gnashing my teeth from wanting a Chaingun really, really bad. And then you give it to me right at the end. Well, I took the opportunity to use it on the last 2 Chaingunners and the Manc, because I was too pissed-off to use anything else. ;D

I played v2, and the only things I can think of to point out are the blue key placement, which on the one hand is fairly straightforward, but on the other is like finding a secret path. I had a similar experience finding the yellow key in Joshy's map for Ancient Aliens. I expect that some percentage of players will fail to find this key. Also, Sector 45, which is a panel on 2 different walls, throws a shadow even though there's no overhead light source. The only other thing I might request is for the gameplay to be a bit nastier.

I thought the map had some innovative touches, for example that drop into the nukage cavern near the start. I did not do well down there. ;D There were some good secrets and the verticality of the map is excellent. It was a lot of fun figuring out how to get to various platforms, and once there, the views were great. You achieved a very nice texture flow and also many interesting shapes.

My favorite fight was the one for the blue key. There is always something exciting about leaping into hostile territory when the only way out is through. I made it on my second attempt and enjoyed the hectic combat, with fire coming from almost every direction. Good stuff!

Cool, thanks for giving it a spin Steve.

SteveD said:

This is definitely a different kind of map from you, tourniquet. It's the easiest one I've played since Aberinkula,

Well, 11 is still a pretty early position in the set and didn't feel like making something too challenging. Yet i haven't played any of the preceding maps so perhaps i need to double check and consider some adjustments.

though I was gnashing my teeth from wanting a Chaingun really, really bad. And then you give it to me right at the end.

I tried to mix the weapon progression for a change, main focus lies on SG/RL. Theres an early available secret CG btw.

I expect that some percentage of players will fail to find this key. Also, Sector

I enjoy playing around with optionality atm and since the BK isn't required to finish the map i'm totally fine with it.

I'll take a look at the other things you've mentioned and gonna consider making it a tad harder. Thanks again :)

tourniquet said:

I enjoy playing around with optionality atm and since the BK isn't required to finish the map i'm totally fine with it.

I'll take a look at the other things you've mentioned and gonna consider making it a tad harder. Thanks again :)

Thanks for explaining about the blue key. I didn't realize it was optional since of course I found it, so yay, I got through the blue door. ;) I guess it amounts to a secret SSG, then. IMO, it's a great idea to make it optional, since that increases replay value for people who didn't find it the first time.

As for difficulty, there's some rough maps in E1, starting right in Map01 by Sfoz911. Loved that map! It's not super-hard but is quite vicious compared to most Map01s.

Jaws In Space said:

Revilution
Texture Pack

TNT: Revilution is a community project with the aim of creating a vanilla-compatible sequel to TeamTNT's Evilution, capturing the things that made Evilution great, and bringing the quality up to modern standards. The project used to make up a large portion of TNT2: Devilution, but after some complicated disagreements a split was necessary. Revilution was originally led by Kyka, but after a 3-month absence with no word, it was clear that a new leader was needed. Since Eris Falling was the only member of the former core team that was still active, he decided it would be best for the project if he took over in Kyka's absence. A new thread was started & a rigorous phase of quality control was initiated, along with making the project viewable to everyone, rather than keeping it private. Eris interest in the project started to wane & by mid December, then by January I was pretty much the only one keeping things moving. Near the end January Eris dec

Does Level 31 of Revilution have a missing yellow key, like Evilution does? :)

valkiriforce said:

I noticed Convilution has missing textures; I think it'd be nice if it didn't have to run off of resource WADs as it is currently. Also that sky it has is horrendous and needs to be done away with entirely (as well as the interpic).

if it weren't for the limit removing stuff, I would have made Convilution an episode, kinda like how NRFTL is. It was generally supposed to be a sort of mini-episode, I envisioned it as a sort of epilogue as Doomguy makes his way back to the ship that takes him from 11 to 12 to finally get back home. Something fun to showcase the maps and music that didnt fit into the original theme we were going for, while also having some narrative merit, so it SHOULD have the same skies and interpic as the main set. Of course, this is pretty much a wholly different project now, so eh.

I did go in and add all of the missing textures that would otherwise cause Chocolate Doom to crash upon testing since I posted about it; plus I added at least the first two skies from TNT 2 with some older/unused midis to give it a bit more charm so I could give it a proper playthrough (for my own pleasure, mind you...I would never post the WAD unless I had permissions to concerning everything I've mentioned). I do think it would make for a nice lost episode-sorta thing, much like DtWID's lost episode release.

Eris Falling said:

Ah I meant to get back to you sooner about this, but I had a really busy weekend. Anyways I do like this quite a bit & I felt that it nicely incorporates elements of Blood Jungle while still remaining mostly it's own thing. I really enjoyed the section from 1:57 - 2:36, I think it would be nice to see that part extended a bit, otherwise it's great as is.

No worries about the delay. Regarding extending the middle section, I'm toying with a few ideas, but they all feel a bit filler-ish, so I'm not sure that it would be of much benefit overall. Anyway, thanks!

Okay, finally!!!!! :D

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8h4br0s77hx32qk/TNTRev16CY.wad

Edit:Oops! I guess this was supposed to be Map14 instead of Map16. I can fix that, but for now it's Map16. :D Now on with the show . . .

I thought this map would never get done. So many HOMs to kill, and sometimes killing one created another. Some areas still put you in the high 240s, even low 250s on the seg count. I learned the hard way that any time you go over 200, you have a 60% chance of finding an HOM somewhere in that room if you just catch the right angle. Even worse is when you're at 180 and a slight turn puts you in danger or even right over the limit. You can probably still get an HOM in some areas if you try really, really hard and do a lot of wall crawling in the outdoor areas looking back towards the base. Even at the start you have 214 segs in front of you at spawn-in. ;D

Enough whining. Difficulty settings are implemented, though I've only tested UV on both a zero-secret and full-secret run. Looking for HMP and HNTR testers. I did the settings a bit differently from my usual, going more towards the "troublesome monster" approach than the Power of Threes "UV Lite" style. The UV/HMP/HNTR monster counts are 211/179/126, so I'm hoping HNTR isn't too wimpy. It takes out more of the harder monsters than usual, but leaves in more of the weaker ones. You can finish the map on UV with only 142 or fewer kills because so many monsters are in the big secret area. The map is fairly nonlinear and interconnected if you find that secret spot. You'll know it's there even if you don't find the way in.

Co-op starts are included but no multiplayer items and no deathmatch starts.

Cool map Steve, just got done playing it. I just tested it out on UV for now, I'll get the other difficulties & check for bugs a bit later. You get 12 pelts from me today, I was playing pretty damn sloppy, I'd actually say that this is one of your more tame maps, minus that big secret section. The hardest part for me was the ambush near the backpack, at least half of my deaths occurred there, with the other half happening at various spots around the buildings exterior. Took me just over 13 minutes to beat the main part of the map & then I went back for the big secret, which I found easily enough, I had a blast in that room trying to avoid that Revenant swarm :P

Oh yeah does what's the map name?

Thanks, Jaws!

Yes, it's a bit tamer than my usual "all-out war from beginning to end," as Chris Hansen once said. It's because I wanted to match it to Jeremy Doyle's awesome, spooky music, and spooky music likes for a map to be more pacey, and pacey generally means trappy. I have a really hard time making maps with anything that remotely resembles suspense, but I thought that with this music, I could give it a shot. ;D

The Backpack Dick Trap just "came to me" after I constructed the area and considered the possibilities.

I followed your guidelines for E2 by turning off a lot of the lights to -- I hope -- create that feel of things not working.

What do you think about maybe removing all the Manc ledge snipers? The one you encounter due north outside the building used to be a lot closer, but I pulled those walls back to kill some HOMs, and now it's kinda grindy to take that sucker out with just a shotty or chaingun. The 2 Mancs due south alongside the waterfall can make it hard to get out once you get the yellow key and raise the bars, assuming one or both haven't been killed by Arachnotrons. But if they're alive, they can encourage camping, and once again, it's hard to take them out because of all the islands in front of the waterfall. The islands were put there to keep the player away from the waterfall, since if you go there, turn around and look back at the base, you'll see a lot of HOMs. Again, killing those Mancs seems grindy, and I question how much they add to the gameplay.

Ummm, title. How about Abandoned Port Facility?

Edit: I discovered a little mistake where a bunch of trees are in the water in front of Sector 603. They used to be on a rock terrace that I removed because of -- you guessed it! -- HOMs. :D I'll remove them before I transfer the map to the Map14 slot.

SteveD said:

What do you think about maybe removing all the Manc ledge snipers? The one you encounter due north outside the building used to be a lot closer, but I pulled those walls back to kill some HOMs, and now it's kinda grindy to take that sucker out with just a shotty or chaingun. The 2 Mancs due south alongside the waterfall can make it hard to get out once you get the yellow key and raise the bars, assuming one or both haven't been killed by Arachnotrons. But if they're alive, they can encourage camping, and once again, it's hard to take them out because of all the islands in front of the waterfall. The islands were put there to keep the player away from the waterfall, since if you go there, turn around and look back at the base, you'll see a lot of HOMs. Again, killing those Mancs seems grindy, and I question how much they add to the gameplay.

The one to the North didn't bother me, but I could see how the 2 to the south could case camping so you may want to replace at lest those guys.

Hello everyone it's time yet again for another "monthly" update. I don't know if you've notice yet, but we only have 5 more maps to go before this project is ready for Beta testing! I've set another tentative Deadline for November of this year for all maps to be submitted, so we may yet have this project done before 2017 rolls around.

In the meantime while these final 5 maps are being made I need to put some attention toward the other aspects of the wad. I need some help from any artists who would like to make the various graphics for Revilution, such as M_DOOM, CREDIT, HELP, INTERPIC, BOSSBACK, & ENDOOM. If you would like to make any of the above graphics just let me know here in the thread or send me a PM & I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Story time, opinions good or bad are appreciated.

Spoiler

With the death of the Demon-Spitter, the army of the damned loses their gateway to our world and they slowly evaporate around you writhing with screams of agony. Then, everything is silent, the hellish red sky and the stench of sulfur fades away almost as if nothing had ever happened at all.

Have you won? Is this another victory for mankind? No, something isn't right, here's a blue glow coming from the inside of the Demon-Spitters head. You crawl into the now exposed brain and find a mix of technology and organic material fused so that you can't tell where one stops and the other begins. The glow is coming from a nearby computer panel. A look of horror spreads across your face as you realize what has happened, by killing the Demon-Spitter you have activated some sort of locating device. Now an even bigger fleet of ships full of demons is on it's way to Io.

The yearly supply ship from Mars is still weeks away from your position, looks like you're the only one standing between the demons and Earth. There's no way for you to make a stand at the now completely destroyed UAC base, so you head for a nearby thermal power station which taps into one of Io's many active volcanoes. Since it's several miles walk you need to travel lite, looks like you'll only be taking your pistol for protection, hopefully you'll resupply on weapons before the demons arrive.

Hours later you find yourself at the walls of the power startion. Suddenly you hear rumbling from above, a great explosion fills the sky as the moon Ganymede explodes into several pieces, once the dust clears you see a great skull where the moon used to be. A fleet of hell ships materialize from the skull. Most of the ships head on a course for Earth, but one heads directly for your position. So much for finding weapons before they arrive. It's up to you to make it to the Communications Center before the demons destroy the satellite array so that you can send a message to Earth warning humanity of it's impending Doom. Good luck marine.

Sounds like a fun story to me. I went ahead and did a quick proofread for grammar; edits below.

Jaws In Space said:

Spoiler

With the death of the Demon-Spitter, the army of the damned loses their gateway to our world, and they slowly evaporate around you, writhing with screams of agony. Then, everything is silent, and the hellish red sky and the stench of sulfur fade away almost as if nothing had ever happened at all.

Have you won? Is this another victory for mankind? No, something isn't right, here's a blue glow coming from the inside of the Demon-Spitter's head. You crawl into the now exposed brain and find a mix of technology and organic material fused so that you can't tell where one stops and the other begins. The glow is coming from a nearby computer panel. A look of horror spreads across your face as you realize what has happened: by killing the Demon-Spitter, you have activated some sort of locating device. Now an even bigger fleet of ships full of demons is on its way to Io.

The yearly supply ship from Mars is still weeks away from your position. Looks like you're the only one standing between the demons and Earth. There's no way for you to make a stand at the now completely destroyed UAC base, so you head for a nearby thermal power station that taps into one of Io's many active volcanoes. Since it's several miles' walk, you need to travel light. Looks like you'll only be taking your pistol for protection, but hopefully you'll resupply on weapons before the demons arrive.

Hours later, you find yourself at the walls of the power station. Suddenly you hear rumbling from above, and a great explosion fills the sky as the moon Ganymede explodes into several pieces. Once the dust clears, you see a great skull where the moon used to be. A fleet of hell ships materialize from the skull. Most of the ships head on a course for Earth, but one heads directly for your position. So much for finding weapons before they arrive. It's up to you to make it to the Communications Center before the demons destroy the satellite array so that you can send a message to Earth warning humanity of its impending Doom. Good luck, marine.

Not Jabba said:

Sounds like a fun story to me. I went ahead and did a quick proofread for grammar.

Yeah thanks for that, I was never good with proper grammar.

Story time part 2, all E1 text.

Spoiler

Map 6-7 text
Success! You have sent a message to Earth warning them of the incoming demonic fleet. The demons will have a rather unpleasant surprise waiting for them when they get to Earth.

With Earth out of harms way it's time to take this fight to hell. There's a ship not to far from your location at the bottom of a thermal vent. You can use it to fly up to the demonic ship and set it on a return course to hell.

Map 11-12 text
You've made it to the ship. Now you wish you had paid more attention in flight class. With the press of a few buttons the engines rumble to life. You plot an intercept course with the hell ship that still orbits far above Io. The thrusters rocket you out of the Moon's atmosphere toward your target.

The hell ship soon takes notice of your approach and a steady stream of plasma heads in your direction. The cooling system of your ship takes a direct hit. You quickly change course toward some asteroids where there are some long abandon UAC bases. You need to find some replacement parts for your ship.

In the graphics department we have a BOSSBACK submission from valkiriforce.

Then there we have an INTERPIC submission from Eternal which he had intended to use for his own TNT2 project long ago.

These are both really cool.
I wonder though, maybe the sky in BOSSBACK could be blue, as a throwback to the one in the original TNT.

Actually I remember a long time ago asking Kyka if the third episode as a whole should be blue-themed with that industrial sky recoloured to match, the idea being that you had fought your way to the source of the blue light mentioned the Evilution ending. Ultimately though we had a fair few maps in the episode already even at that point and it was too late to make such a massive change.

I like the map 11-12 story text on the basis that it actually narrates something concrete and imaginably dramatic (bonus points for being short and to the point) and not just describes something usually abstract or unimaginable or routine (bonus negative points for using many words that seem redundant) like most story texts in Doom wads do and that I don't really like that much.

Some story text change suggestions:

Spoiler

With the death of the Demon-Spitter, the army of the damned has lost their gateway to our world, and they slowly evaporate around you, writhing with screams of agony. Then, everything is silent, and the hellish red sky and the stench of sulfur fade away almost as if nothing had ever happened at all.

Have you won? Is this another victory for mankind? No, something isn't right, here's a blue glow coming from the inside of the Demon-Spitter's head. You crawl into the now exposed brain and find a mix of technology and organic material fused so that you can't tell where one stops and the other begins. The glow is coming from a nearby computer panel. You realize with horror what has happened: by killing the Demon-Spitter, you have activated a locating device. Now an even bigger fleet of ships full of demons is on its way to Io.

The yearly supply ship from Mars is still weeks away from your position. Looks like you're the only one standing between the demons and Earth. There's no way for you to make a stand at the now completely destroyed UAC base, so you head for a nearby thermal power station that taps into one of Io's many active volcanoes. Since it's several miles away, you need to travel light. You keep only your pistol just in case, knowing you can resupply on weapons at the station. Hopefully you'll get there before the demons arrive.

Hours later, you find yourself at the walls of the power station. Suddenly you hear rumbling from above, and a great explosion fills the sky as the moon Ganymede explodes into several pieces. Once the dust clears, you see a great skull where the moon used to be. A fleet of hell ships materialize from the skull. Most of the ships head on a course for Earth, but one heads directly for your position. So much for finding weapons before they arrive. It's up to you to make it to the Communications Center before the demons destroy the satellite array so that you can send a message to Earth warning humanity of its impending Doom. Good luck, marine.

E1:
Spoiler

Map 6-7 text
Success! You have sent a message to Earth warning them of the incoming demonic fleet. The demons will have a rather unpleasant surprise waiting for them when they get to Earth.

With Earth out of harm's way, it's time to take this fight to Hell. There's a ship not too far from your location at the bottom of a thermal vent. You can use it to fly up to the demonic ship and set it on a return course to Hell.

Map 11-12 text
You've made it to the ship. Now you wish you had paid more attention in flight class. With the press of a few buttons the engines rumble to life. You plot an intercept course with the hell ship that still orbits far above Io. The thrusters rocket you out of the moon's atmosphere toward your target.

The Hell ship soon takes notice of your approach and a steady stream of plasma heads in your direction. The cooling system of your ship takes a direct hit. You quickly change course toward some asteroids where there are some long abandoned UAC bases. You need to find some replacement parts for your ship.

Okay, here's my map, now in the correct Map14 slot! :D I also made a couple visual tweaks and got rid of the Manc snipers by the waterfall.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/wsa0yhh1tydsbta/TNTRev14b.wad

What I'd love to see is an HNTR test by a genuine HNTR player. I've tested all settings and am happy with UV and HMP, but I thought HNTR sucked like crazy. I need all the help I can get on that setting.

Story time part 3, all E2 text. Trying to tell a story when limited to only 315 characters is a major pain in the ass :P

Spoiler

Map 15-31 Text
A once great god watches your every move as you traverse to the hell ship. If you want to go to hell you must be worthy enough to make it through his realm first.

Map 31-32 Text
Anubis has deemed you worthy of entering hell, he returns you to an icy moon of Jupiter.

Map 20-21 Text
The controls of the hell ship lie before you. There's only one task left for you to do now, the ship is set on a course to return to it's point of origin.

Hell, it's changed since you've last been here, advanced biotech litters the landscape. The demons have used UAC's weaponry to advance their own technology.

SteveD said:

What I'd love to see is an HNTR test by a genuine HNTR player. I've tested all settings and am happy with UV and HMP, but I thought HNTR sucked like crazy. I need all the help I can get on that setting.

HNTR player right here. Seems fine to me, sort of easy-ish most of the time, but it's got a few tighter spots to offset that, so overall I'd say the difficulty is probably just below moderate. No complaints about that though.

Map was pretty fun, and longer than the monster count would have led me to believe, took me just under 7 minutes. Looks great and I really like the music. Never really heard Jeremy's contributions to the soundtrack as they mostly came in after I stepped down from the project, but both music and map will definitely be a welcome addition to this set.

From what I've seen of the newer stuff, this WAD is really shaping up really well, can't wait to see the finished product!

EDIT: Just noticed that Atmosphere.mid isn't playing back correctly in-game, the modulation on the guitar solo is...special. I'll look in to this and see if it's the MIDI itself or another MIDI is causing the issue (another midi was and maybe still is fucking with Frozen Wilderness, so I wouldn't rule it out)

EDIT 2: Wilderness is in need of an update anyway, and I think I have a way of getting around the issue it has. Stay tuned I guess

Jaws In Space said:

Story time part 3, all E2 text. Trying to tell a story when limited to only 315 characters is a major pain in the ass :P

Well that gives less to proofread!

Spoiler

Map 15-31 Text
A once-great god watches your every move as you traverse to the hell ship. If you want to go to Hell you must be worthy enough to make it through his realm first.

Map 31-32 Text
Anubis has deemed you worthy of entering Hell, he returns you to an icy moon of Jupiter.

Map 20-21 Text
The controls of the hell ship lie before you. There's only one task left for you to do now, the ship is set on a course to return to its point of origin.

Hell has changed since you've last been here, advanced biotech litters the landscape. The demons have used UAC's weaponry to advance their own technology.

Eris Falling said:

HNTR player right here. Seems fine to me, sort of easy-ish most of the time, but it's got a few tighter spots to offset that, so overall I'd say the difficulty is probably just below moderate. No complaints about that though.

Thanks, Eris! I was genuinely sweating about this. Although I'd like to pitch the difficulty above moderate, I'm lazy enough to leave it alone. ;) HNTR might be harder on the preceding and following maps, so this could be a breather map for HNTR players. The main thing is I didn't want them to feel shortchanged.

Yeah, Jeremy's MIDI kicks ass. It sounds even better in PRBoom than GZDoom. I feel privileged to have built a map around it. I also keep in mind that his soundtrack for Osiris was freaking awesome.

I hope the last few maps roll in soon so we can have the open beta and get this puppy out there.