Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jaws In Space

TNT Revilution: Final release now on ID Games!

We waited several years for this to get released so obviously there will be some troubles related to that, taking more time after release. ;p

I've pinpointed the problem with the dehacked—it's these lines that use flats that have been removed:

Text 7 8
RROCK14TEKDARKF
Text 7 8
RROCK07FLOOR0_4
Text 7 8
RROCK13METALFL4
Text 7 8
RROCK19BLUDSOUP

On 3/1/2017 at 9:18 PM, Xaser said:

Arbitrary release dates are poor motivators. This declaration translates to "I'm going to upload this to /idgames with avoidable mistakes still in the wad."

Called it.

Why is it at the last moment, so many bugs start to appear :/

This is just a side question, but isn't [PAR] a feature of BEX? if so, then the Dehacked file is a hybrid of some sort. Can ports handle that?

And why not add the magic comment: # enable-extended-strings

on the top of the dehacked file? Then Chocolate Doom will read the [STRINGS] section.

Edit: Use BEX.

Edited by Voros

41 minutes ago, Xaser said:

Called it.

In their defense, you could have made that prediction about almost any major release in the past several years and it would have been true. It's almost like predicting that the sky will be blue tomorrow.

Seems like compatibility issues are particularly likely to crop up suddenly with any release that is declared to be final. The audience for many ports is relatively small, so it often happens that nobody who uses those ports is willing to play the mapset until it appears to be completed.

* Cackles maniacally *

Yes, this is good. The bugs are chewing through the woodwork of your dreams; your drama score has risen. But it is insufficient! You will need to confront your demons and realise that there will be a reckoning. Devilution—your master—will not allow a release in ignorance; for it is agony by birthright!

Confess the inferior nature of your project and the curse will be lifted. The patches are a ruse.

@Not Jabba I'm not calling out the "release wasn't bug-free" fire -- that always happens. Rather, the declaration of "i'm uploading this in 'x' amount of time, rain or shine" is a troublesome accelerant.

[EDIT] I should probably also point out I realize I'm being a bit of a butt, so maybe this ought to be rephrased as more of a "hey, learn from this" rather than "lol i wraned u" or whatever. So that instead. :P

I sure do like this whole "put stuff in quotes" thing I'm doing here.

To be fair, released version was perfectly fine without errors as intended to run with Doom2.wad but couldn't be uploaded to idgames. Maybe it was that decision (for TNT sequel be free of TNT.wad need) and subsequent edits to remove content in question that broken the wad.

The thing is that by now, several more or less "inofficial" edits/releases have been made (which is a bit confusing). Maybe the project leader(s) should take some time to work on the pwad again until it's 100% approved to run with tnt.wad. We have waited for so many years, a few more days or even weeks for polishing shouldn't be an issue for anybody.

5 hours ago, Alfonzo said:

The patches are a ruse.

The Matrix is real. Your existence is a glitch. Your wife is a Former Sergeant.

You know Jaws. This is the second WAD from you that is loaded with HOMs. Your update for Freedoom map21 and map22 WAD was HOM town. Had to fix the damn thing myself.

I could probably rewrite the TEXTURE1 lump to be functional again, but sheesh, so many damn patches

BTW, I ran TNTR.wad through Deutex and I get some messages saying to ignore empty textures BRICK10, WOODMET1 to 4 and MIDVINE1 and 2. What's up with that?

Ok, now I got a working patch on chocodoom, and everything works well. Now the only problem I have is that some of the new texts are too long:

kFrye4c.png

T1TEXT requires 391 characters

T2TEXT and T3TEXT requires 311

T4TEXT requires 387

THUSTR_5THUSTR_7, THUSTR_8, THUSTR_18 and THUSTR_28 requires 15

THUSTR_10 and THUSTR_29 requires 23

I edited the .deh file in notepad so there could be some errors regarding spacing? Also I was using Choco Doom to test and it said it couldn't find any of the ZLIM# flats

Edited by dobu gabu maru

Oh, shit, sorry about that, I forgot to mention I had to copy some flats and give them shorter names to fit the limits, but that was on my version.

Also, I can't download your attachment, could you reupload it somewhere else?

Alright. I'm almost ready to release the (hopefully) final revision. There is only one thing I want to make sure is right. @Alfonzo, where you say you're not properly credited? I see your name in both the textfile and CWILV26. Is it the order?

^ Quite sure he's being a sarcastic little ninny. If you would, I need the wad to make a minor adjustment to MAP30. Also, who should upload it while Jaws is away? Do you want to or should I?

I hadn't inspected the CWILV; was merely looking at the list in the OP. Most of the outdoor dam area in map27 (where you start and end the level) was designed as a first iteration for a TNT2 level last year. Tarns used it as a base to work with.

Really, though, I only flagged the missing credit up as a joke to press my faux(?) agenda for fun but yes, if I'm credited as the second designer for map27 then that would make sense. Thanks!

Ok, here it is:

Mediafire

Drive

Dehacked is ready to go, fixed some unnoticed texture problems and added a mapinfo. And since you Dobu are going to make the last change, you should upload it.

sorry but I have to say that there missing textures running with doom2 , at least in the first level, running with tnt it works.... the same with convilution and running with tnt doesn't fix it, any more recent download links ? thanks

39 minutes ago, elden4 said:

the same with convilution and running with tnt doesn't fix it, any more recent download links ?

Convilution is currently missing some textures that had been previously claimed by the Devilution team. No fix for that as of yet. And Revilution should be getting a Vanilla/Boom compatibility update very shortly.

---------

Okay, so everything seems nominal, except for one odd bug—in some maps when the player/enemy hops into a tele, they teleport to the top of the sector and then fall down. Is that... a normal bug for sectors at negative heights or something? This can be easily seen by crossing Linedef 702 in MAP10, and in the northernmost room of MAP30. As long as I get confirmation about that, I think the wad is ready to be uploaded... er, again.