Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jaws In Space

TNT Revilution: Final release now on ID Games!

One question is, what is the complevel for TNTR with PrBoom+? Is it -complevel 4?

Also can anyone test if Map30 works fine and has no bug with -complevel 4 settings in PrBoom+.

"well, SNSF was prematurely killed because a user named Korpse uploaded the wrong version of TNTR.WAD"
"seems the other WAD distros have the wrong version too, so this is going to be a problem"

This is why versioning is important. There are rogue copies of an outdated Revilution floating around multiplayer wadhosts now which will lead to compatibility issues for servers and demo recording.

Okay so there is going to be one more update to the wad that will address all of the issues mentioned since the last update. It will be uploaded within the next week or two. If anyone spots or knows of any more bugs let us know as soon as you can.

Okay here's the wad. Now go find another 50 bugs that we missed :)

TNTR

All the issues mentioned in the thread should be fixed along with some texture errors that Gothic resolved yesterday.

1 hour ago, cyan0s1s said:

Rockiest Release Cacoward.

At a guess I'd say not even close, heh.

Just wow. No idea how often I have replaced my local copies of tntr.wad by now, but it's an all-time record for a pwad for sure! xD Glad you guys don't give up on delivering a smooth gaming experience. If we are lucky, that's actually it!

Ok, current version on idgames works with Doom Retro 2.5 Map30 fix but this one breaks stuff again even loading with older deh file... So, yeah, i'll wait until proper file is uploaded, not gonna scratch pending game.

Well guess I will try some demos with GLBoom+ later. I just want to make sure if demo parameter is set to -complevel 4.

Also never used Doom Retro before. Maybe PrBoom+ works fine but not for others.

2 hours ago, lirui1001 said:

Well guess I will try some demos with GLBoom+ later. I just want to make sure if demo parameter is set to -complevel 4.

Also never used Doom Retro before. Maybe PrBoom+ works fine but not for others.

yes -complevel 4 is correct.

So it's out? Neato! It'll whet my apetite before UDTWiD and hopefully the Shores of ZDoom someday (not much hope for the latter though to be honest). 

I'll be sure to post some feedback after I play it for a bit.

10 hours ago, FearTheReaper said:

Ok, current version on idgames works with Doom Retro 2.5 Map30 fix but this one breaks stuff again even loading with older deh file... So, yeah, i'll wait until proper file is uploaded, not gonna scratch pending game.

Can I ask how specifically it's not working in v2.5? It appears fine for me. (Make sure you're loading it with the TNT IWAD, otherwise you will run into problems.)

39 minutes ago, bradharding said:

Can I ask how specifically it's not working in v2.5? It appears fine for me. (Make sure you're loading it with the TNT IWAD, otherwise you will run into problems.)

Nope it was something else, I have few versions of it, current one from idgames and the one from TNTRv1.20 to not mess them together I renamed the new to for ex. TNTR120.WAD Looks like your fix only work if name for wad is exactly TNTR.WAD, minor thing really.

Oh, and another question out of curiosity: how will Devilution tie into Revilution once it's out? Is that team planning to make it align story-wise in some way?

BTW done with level 1. Great visuals and gameplay, the difficulty did catch me off guard, but curiously only in optional areas. Though to be fair this didn't make me think of TNT at all. Guess the inspiration is very loose.

21 minutes ago, Xfing said:

Oh, and another question out of curiosity: how will Devilution tie into Revilution once it's out? Is that team planning to make it align story-wise in some way?

No connection at all. Both wads serve as direct sequels to Evilution & form their own storys from there.

Also quick note. I'll wait at least one week for any more bugs to be reported & then update the idgames wad for the last time. After that it's going to be leave it in.

Why isn't the external dehacked on the latest download? Or will be included on the idgames release?

Has the external dehacked changed at all? I thought that the IDGames version is still the most recent version.

Yeah, I was refering to that one. I just thought you guys got rid of it.

One more thing, is there any more major updates later? Then I can schedule my demo recording with GLBoom+.

Or maybe I can put this and PRCP together and create a playlist called "Final Doom Re-series". lol.

1 minute ago, lirui1001 said:

One more thing, is there any more major updates later? Then I can schedule my demo recording with GLBoom+.

Or maybe I can put this and PRCP together and create a playlist called "Final Doom Re-series". lol.

At this point I'm pretty sure all the serious issues have been cleared up. I'm just giving it a week before uploading to idgames just to be safe.

2 hours ago, Gothic said:

Yeah, I was refering to that one. I just thought you guys got rid of it.

Vanilla doesn't recognize internal DeHackEd files, so you gotta include an external one as well.

On that note, was the obituary added back to the internal file?

Ok, up to level 11 thus far and I gotta take back what I said at first, that I saw little TNT connection. After a third of the mission I can easily say the connection has become very apparent. TNT had two main properties that made it distinct - very large open spaces and lots of ornamental flavor aimed at realism. Guess that's not all of TNT's hallmarks, but these are the first two that came to mind  And indeed, this mission does have them in spades. But it's even better than original TNT, obviously, since I haven't yet encountered a bad level. The texturing is gorgeous, tastefully combining the original TNT texture roster with tried and true community additions - can't stress how cool the lava falls is for example, and yet it's nothing more than a logical extension of id's own slime and blood falls textures, just like Plutonia's blue waterfalls before it. The community's texture artists and compilers overall haven't been sleeping, since some of the grimy, industrial textures used in the pack are just gorgeous (the brown bricks, the greenish gray bricks etc), they definitely do support and enrich TNT's atmosphere in a very fitting way. Gotta say, I like the texturing so far even more than I liked that of Community Chest 4 - that one was just over the top. This is balanced and tasteful. Of course there are those utterly shitty textures that Team TNT themselves brought to the table, but which do contribute to the TNT feel (if only through nostalgia) such as those awful, low-res wooden crates, but they luckily don't appear too often and frankly are rather tolerable. 

Another funny point is difficulty. It was surprisingly tough between levels 2 and 4, and I thought it would be rising constantly to ultra-hard levels, but here I am at level 11 and can't help but think it has plateaued since like level 5. Not that I'm complaining, it's still tough, but even I, with my mediocre skills, find it rather manageable. The WAD is definitely entrancing, I'll see if I can finish all of it. 

I've seen quite a few people compliment the texture pack now & I just want to say that in addition to the amazing artists who made those textures a lot of credit needs to be directed toward kyka for going through many texture packs & compiling select textures to make such a great pack. In addition kyka made several edits to many of the textures to give Revilution the textures a bit of cohesion.

Yeah, there are several good things about the texture pack. For one, it doesn't blatantly take textures from Strife, Heretic or Hexen, for two it's cohesive and for three it uses additional textures only when they're needed, instead of making it a point to showcase as many of them as humanly possible, as was the case with CC4 for example.

That's it guys, the final update is now on ID Games!

Demos are already incoming, check them out here to watch your maps get horribly broken :)