Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
codeslicer

Doom Movie. Wtf happened?

Okay, don't judge just yet.
Why don't we take a few moments and discuss the old 2005 film.

What the hell (or lack there of) happened?

Scientifical failure and unpredictible result of genome mutation under specific antient somethin'-somethin'-virus-like attack. Which obviously was an result of wrong "how to do" book.

That's it.

The precursor to humanity lived on Mars first, then they all killed each other, then any survivors arrived on Earth to procreate and create humanity as we know it. At least, that might be the backstory.

The biggest flaw of the movie for me was the decision to make the demons a virus outbreak mutation rather than an invasion from hell. The movie was just full of lame clichés and didn't do anything to really interest me. The demons looked dumb and were way less intimidating than their Doom 3 counterparts. You could tell the movie borrowed mostly from Doom 3 rather than the first two games which I understand but it just didn't feel like it gave a shit about being a good movie. Very B grade, and not in a classic or good way. Just a bad way. Maybe had a few good moments I guess.

Also another complaint: the demon choices. It's been a while since I've seen the movie but I recall there being imps, maybe hellknights, some zombies, and I think a pinky demon. Where were all the other cool monsters? No Cacodemons? That's blasphemous! Cacodemon is like the series staple! Where were the shotgun zombies shootout battles? Where was the Archvile? Cyberdemon? THE BRUISER:

This guy is one of the coolest Doom monsters and would translate pretty well to a movie I reckon. They should have kept the Bruiser's original intended introduction and also used that giant flesh growth as well from Doom 3. Hmm... now that I think about it the movie really lacked that sort of putrid gory horror movies like The Thing (1982) had. More flesh and overall intimating atmosphere was desperately needed, along with cooler monsters that didn't look like humans wearing Halloween costumes. Either that or just go balls to the wall Doomguy comic style but that's something else entirely *cough* Brutal Doom the movie *cough*

"Doom" clearly wanted to be a film in the vain of "Aliens," but failed on every possible level. You need characters you actually give a shit about, strong writing, memorable set pieces, sexy cinematography and a good sense of pacing, none of which is present in "Doom." In addition, two other films that clearly influenced Doom--"Hellraiser" and "Evil Dead"--were clearly ignored. "Event Horizon" got it right, as it's an incredibly re-watchable film, and it kept us in the dark about the true nature of the antagonist by making it vaguely supernatural, which is a very Doom-y touch. I would really like to see another attempt at a Doom film, based on the new game.

I think Brutal Doom over the top action and gore has its place in the Doom universe. Just as a portion, I'm thinking berserk packs in particular. Get that crazy drug / hellish boost and watch monster gibs fly around, chase down an Imp and rip its head off with your bare hands etc.

I enjoyed the Hell Knight vs Guy little arena fight scene, I didn't mind how the Imps looked and loved the FPS scene. The story was crap, characters sucked and the Doom Universe got a big "F U" by removing the Hell element.

RUSH your comment about John Carpenter's The Thing sparked a thought. I think the Doom movie could of been a classic if they focused on a good range of freaky monster encounters (not jump scares but rather gruesome scenes) followed by a constant ominous atmosphere to give the sense of seclusion. Have minimal music, just keep distant machinery and electronic noises running with the characters always on their toes. I'm thinking a mix of The Thing and Aliens 2. The FPS segment can provide the sense of revenge for the audience as the protagonist hunts a facility full of monsters, Doom style. That would be awesome.

I would really be interested in some in-depth behind the scenes stories for how this project came to fruition and the reason for all the changes it went through. The few snippets you get from people involved with Hollywood production hell, like Kevin Smith's Superman story, makes the whole machinery seem so damn bizarre. And remember the pitches Gabe Newell mentioned he was offered for a Half-Life adaptation, which involved cyborg horse cavalry scenes? It makes me genuinely curious over what kind of fucked up rationalizations are at play within that whole culture and corporate hierarchy.

CWolfRu said:

Scientifical failure and unpredictible result of genome mutation under specific antient somethin'-somethin'-virus-like attack. Which obviously was an result of wrong "how to do" book.

That's it.

And Christian undertones and implied Hell, but no real demons.

GeckoYamori said:

It makes me genuinely curious over what kind of fucked up rationalizations are at play within that whole culture and corporate hierarchy.

I'm sure it has to be "people like this franchise and also like weird stuff so that should make money right guys" judging by some of the strange, strange stuff seen in video game film adaptations..

Frankly, the only scene that's watching the most is the FPS sequence, specially the chainsaw part, that's my favorite.
Other than that i enjoyed the movie, but then again, it was bad.

Doomkid said:

"people like this franchise and also like weird stuff so that should make money right guys" judging by some of the strange, strange stuff seen in video game film adaptations..

Not sure I know what you mean... WAIT *shivers*

EDIT I just noticed:

Chezza said:

RUSH your comment about John Carpenter's The Thing sparked a thought. I think the Doom movie could of been a classic if they focused on a good range of freaky monster encounters (not jump scares but rather gruesome scenes) followed by a constant ominous atmosphere to give the sense of seclusion. Have minimal music, just keep distant machinery and electronic noises running with the characters always on their toes. I'm thinking a mix of The Thing and Aliens 2. The FPS segment can provide the sense of revenge for the audience as the protagonist hunts a facility full of monsters, Doom style. That would be awesome.

My thoughts exactly. Couldn't have said it better. The Doom movie took everything good about the first two Alien films and completely stripped it all away. No atmospheric anticipation. The characters were generic. Who cares if they die? Unlike the original Alien, Doom didn't feel scary. And unlike Aliens (Alien 2) Doom didn't feel satisfying in the action department. The FPS scene was kind of cool but it also felt gimmicky. The whole Doom film lacked genuinely disturbing gory encounters like The Thing. It had the pieces of a classic horror/action film but lacked any sort of halfway decent execution. It was a really hollow experience. Too bad, because it might be the only Doom movie we'll ever get.

I know comparing Doom to Alien and The Thing might seem silly because those are acclaimed masterpieces of sci-fi tension. I honestly would never expect a Doom film to live up to those spectacular titles but even still... it could have tried way more.

I'm just wondering who the John Peters equivalent would be responsible for all the bizarre script changes in this case. The main producer was John Wells but it rather looks like he was the one fighting studio intervention to keep it truer to the source material.

Super Mario Bros. started off being a lot closer to the games' whimsical world, but somehow the film ended up with a director couple who reinvisioned the whole thing as a gritty cyberpunk world.

Idk man, when Sarge killed the kid; that scene was epic. "Your orders... were to clear the sector." That shit cracks me up.

I think Hollywood heard The Rock and Doom and thought "cash cow no matter what! But wait, let's take out the magic stuff because people cant handle sci-fi and religion/magic in the same plot-line. I know! Let's rationalize it with a scientific explanation so it's more believable (and forget about the teleport-y sci-fi explanation provided in the games). Wait, Hell costs too much money to produce because we spent most of it on blow and hookers already. Hey, all of this will also avoid the cliche that people think this'll be and draw in non-Doom people! Yup, tell em to change the script."

At least that's how it went in my head. Let's also not forget the lesson from McDonald's of trying to please people who won't support you anyway. We create our own Hell in that regard. And the proof is in the pudding and here we sit almost 10 years later (or something like that) talking about how shitty that pudding was.

The Super Mario Bros movie was likely the same story. I actually own that movie because I find it funny; it's so bad. Also it's got a Joe Satriani track in it so it gets props for that. Had some funny moments though, like the elevator scene with the dancing lizards.

I'm such a Doom fan that I've wanted to at least check the movie out even if it is bad, but I never got around to it, in part because I was never fond of The Rock.

when the movie came out i was so excited because i loved doom and the rock, but the movie i saw in theaters was nothing like doom. the only kinda cool bit was the pov scene. if there was a new doom movie i'd like it to have a tone similar to evil dead 2, with the gore and comedy. i'd also like it to make clever use of the first person perspective and poke fun at drab modern shooters. but that will never happen :(

But to be fair now, the movie isn't terrible. I mean, the action is good and they had the decency to use costumed actors for the monsters instead of CGI. It just kind of shits on the source material by removing demons and hell. This movie probably wouldn't even be offensive to me if I wasn't such a big Doom fan to be honest. I'm just glad it didn't get the Resident Evil treatment. The Resident Evil films make me phisically ill just thinking about them.

Wovenloaf said:

but I never got around to it, in part because I was never fond of The Rock.

lol, for me he was actually the best thing about the movie. Karl urban was okay too, and the scene where they fight is pretty metal

Fonze said:

Idk man, when Sarge killed the kid; that scene was epic. "Your orders... were to clear the sector." That shit cracks me up.

Oddly enough this little subplot was pretty faithful to the original Doom story. The protagonist's commanding officer said to fire on civilians and he beat the shit out of his CO instead. Sadly I don't think this was done on purpose.

In a related topic, my wife and I watched the Street Figther movie a while back. She had never played SF before so I was able to get a non-biased opinion. She said it was campy but fun and she'd definitely watch again. I still enjoy it for the same reasons. Ah, 90's cheese.

HorrorMovieGuy said:

But to be fair now, the movie isn't terrible. I mean, the action is good and they had the decency to use costumed actors for the monsters instead of CGI.

I agree. If you bracket out the Doom part, it's a decent piece of sci-fi horror schlock on its own. Also, you've got to give them credit for making it an R rated film. Videogame movies are almost always no higher than PG-13 because the studio execs want kids to be able to buy tickets and see them. But they stayed true to the source material in that regard.

BTW, did anyone see that scene they cut where the two soldiers are watching the naked woman from behind holding an arm that it looks like she's masturbating with? Not exactly Doom per se, but then again, I hear the villain in new Doom will be a woman so maybe not...

I don't know, I liked the movie personally. It didn't correlate with Doom at all, but for some reason I just enjoyed it. Also, I like being part of the minority.

It was just a run-of-the-mill action movie tie-in to Doom 3, suffering from an extreme case of mid 2000s directing and straight-to-video-itis, only that somehow it ended up in movie theatres. A decent Doom movie would have to be shot in the 80s.

Hollywoodification. That's what happened.

It was an enjoyable movie on its own merits, though, but as a Doom movie, it sucked.

I was so damned disappointing with the Doom movie. So much was wrong with it.

They didn't even have to show hell, so I don't buy the argument that they saved money by not including it in the story. All they had to do was mention that the monsters were coming from hell through a portal the scientists were messing with. Then they could have the Rock or whatever go close the damned thing. Instead they went with that chromosome nonsense.

Pinky was a guy in a wheelchair. In the sequel they could have a guy called Caco who grows tomatoes. Oo haha.

Use your imagination, guys. There is no santa-claus but there are good people! So the movie says it was a virus, but why is not possible that a sequel would reveal that they were in fact from hell?

Personally I really liked the movie.

9/ 10 from me, because it was fantastic and kind of funny, however it could have been better with more slaughter and all-out action and whatnot, instead of being a little sterile or tame in that regard.

I really liked the casting of Karl Urban and Dwayne Johnson, but I suppose a funnier guy than Urban could also have worked, and with Urban as the third marine in line after Johnson and a new star of the show; someone a little like Bruce Campbell.

I still found it disappointing that The Rock wasn't the good guy in the whole film. The FPS sequence was pretty cool, otherwise this film was alright I suppose. I've seen worse game-to-movie conversions....

Crunchynut44 said:

Also, I like being part of the minority.

Lol conforming to nonconformity still makes you a sheep.

Am I the only one who thought the FPS sequence was extremely corny and felt more like a video of a haunted house attraction than a legit movie scene?