Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JohnnyTheWolf

SSG mod for Ultimate Doom?

I am looking for a simple mod that makes the Supershotgun drop in Ultimate Doom. I have located several links to wads, but all of them appear to be dead.

I would have expected such addon to be easily found, but so far it does not seem so. :S

What source port?

ZDoom, Crispy Doom, and probably others support using the SSG in Doom 1, but you have to give yourself one manually, and you have to load the SSG graphics and sounds from an extra wad. If you want one that replaces the normal SG in maps, that's marginally harder. I'm sure someone (maybe me) could make one for ZDoom fairly easily, if that's what you're using.

Launch Ultimate Doom IWAD with Doom 2 as a PWAD. Open GZDoom's console, type "give SuperShotgun", press enter and close console. Done.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

EDIT: I got it to work, but unfortunately, I now get Doom II's sky and menu screen. :S

Extract the SSG sprites and sounds only and put them in a wad, and load that one instead of all of doom2.wad

Not hard to do, I even did a randomizer that is setup to only drop Doom 1 actors in Doom II and vice versa. Novel as hell but it's kinda cool to D1 or D2-inize an otherwise D2 or D1 game.

plums said:

Here, this replaces map shotguns with the SSG, while having the sergeants still drop normal shotguns. Tested for 1 minute, might not work with other mods, etc. etc.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/rb4dem1xcczbquz/ssg_in_doom.wad

The Supershotgun becomes available, but for some reason, weapon keys stop working properly and I cannot select either shotgun.

Oh well. Thanks anyway. :S

You can use 3DGE and drag doom.wad onto the executable as a PWAD (while doom2.wad resides in the same directory). Then you can use both the weapon and all 5 episodes (Hell on Earth being included in the list automatically) in one game.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

The Supershotgun becomes available, but for some reason, weapon keys stop working properly and I cannot select either shotgun.

Oh oops, I forgot you have to do weapon definitions when you mess with the weapons. Well here's the resources for the SSG like VGA was talking about, so you can just use the console to give yourself one.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/41zy5ugshy4s137/ssg_resource.wad

JohnnyTheWolf said:

EDIT: I got it to work, but unfortunately, I now get Doom II's sky and menu screen. :S

Then launch Ultimate Doom IWAD with 2 PWADs: Doom 2 as the 1st PWAD, and Ultimate Doom (again!) as the 2nd PWAD. Like this:

gzdoom -iwad doom.wad -file doom2.wad doom.wad
It seemed to work alright for me.

Only remotely related to your query, but it's possible to use the SSG codepointers in Ultimate Doom (and presumably, even Doom, as long as they use the v1.9 executable) with a DEHACKED patch, like e.g. mods such as "Quest Of The Necronomicon" did. In that case however, the "SSG" must replace an existing weapon slot. It's still not possible to spawn Doom II items or monsters.

Maes said:

In that case however, the "SSG" must replace an existing weapon slot. It's still not possible to spawn Doom II items or monsters.

It is possible to spawn them if you change their spawn IDs in DEHACKED. However, the SSG will be impossible to manually select in the vanilla engine if the IWAD is Doom 1 / Ultimate Doom. It will only be auto-selected upon being grabbed for the first time. I'm not sure whether it would also be auto-selected when you run out of ammo of another weapon.

Quest for the Necronomicon essentially replaced the Chaingun with the "Blunderbuss", which used the SSG spread, so it occupied weapon slot 4. Weapon slot 3 was replaced with a "repeating pistol" (aka the Chaingun by another name). There was no plain shotgun equivalent, though.

But yeah, even if you manage to coerce a SSG pickup by any means, it will not be manually selectable (there's a check in the code just for that). I'm not sure either if the same check is applied when auto-switching weapons due to low ammo.

Can I give it a shot using the beta SSG?

Edit: Okay here it is. It is set to spawn next to any Soulsphere in any map. I can make it so that it spawns at a certain rate when you kill a shotgunner.

By the way the reason I'm using the SS sounds from FDoom is to avoid making people uncomfortable with IWAD resources.

Corret me if I'm wrong but I think doom.wad already contains the SSG sounds so only the sprites are needed?

IMX said:

Can I give it a shot using the beta SSG?

Edit: Okay here it is. It is set to spawn next to any Soulsphere in any map. I can make it so that it spawns at a certain rate when you kill a shotgunner.

By the way the reason I'm using the SS sounds from FDoom is to avoid making people uncomfortable with IWAD resources.

I like it! Thank you! :D

Although I am not sure why you would make it spawn next to a Soulsphere. Would it not be better to have it replace regular Shotguns already in place on the maps?