Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheBraveSoul

E1M1 - Acid Processor

Hello.

This is my first post on the forums and I thought I'd share a DOOM map that I made. I've been mapping since 2014 and from then on I delved into just created little test maps until I got the hang of Doom Builder.

Acid Processor is the result of me taking what I learned in Doom Builder and deciding to sit down and make a map that I think players would enjoy. I normally use DOOM II as a base for its extra textures, enemies and decorations but I wanted to give myself a challenge and try and use DOOM 1 as a base for my level.

It replaces E1M1. I've primarily used gZDOOM for play-testing but it should work on other source ports. I can't imagine there being any problems in that regards. I'm happy to hear any advice on how to improve my mapping skills, thank you.

Vertices: 746
Sides: 1349
Lines: 914
Sectors: 166
Tags: 13

Edit: This map has been tested on gZDOOM, prBOOM+ & Chocolate DOOM. All of which load the map and are able to play it from start to finish.

Download Link: https://www.mediafire.com/?0k872ptmbp07b2n

Spoiler

Well done.

Yeah it's broken in non-(G)ZDoom-level ports. Your lift triggers need tags too in other ports even when the trigger is on the lift itself -- basically every trigger does but occasional stuff like exits and D(x) Doors. But that's what IDCLIP is for, LOL.

Anyway, very competently designed in the classic mold: shapes and structures (height variation, vantage points from one area to another, etc.). Gameplay is hitscanner-heavy but there's enough cover that it's possible to play with an aggro style without getting torn to shreds (obligatory hitscanner-camping is tedious). You should fix the ZDoom-isms and test it in PrBoom+ -cl 2 or a vanilla-compat port so that more people will play it. It's a total waste to have a vanilla wad that only works in (G)ZDoom.

You use the same lift texture for both the lift you have to press use on and lifts/floors that are lowered by remote switches. That's something to avoid. Apart from secrets, of course, the player should be able to tell which features of the map are "usable" and which aren't. Also, it's generally a good thing when players can see, or at least easily infer, what a switch triggers. So it's suboptimal that you have that floor in the main (keyless) building that's lowered by a switch in some shut-off room all the way on the other side of a map. The monster closets you open up are a good attempt to solve that problem -- they work as breadcrumbs. You should probably warp in even more monsters to solidify the trail! It's a small map, though, so it's not entirely confusing.

rdwpa said:

Well done.

Yeah it's broken in non-(G)ZDoom-level ports. Your lift triggers need tags too in other ports even when the trigger is on the lift itself -- basically every trigger does but occasional stuff like exits and D(x) Doors. But that's what IDCLIP is for, LOL.

Anyway, very competently designed in the classic mold: shapes and structures (height variation, vantage points from one area to another, etc.). Gameplay is hitscanner-heavy but there's enough cover that it's possible to play with an aggro style without getting torn to shreds (obligatory hitscanner-camping is tedious). You should fix the ZDoom-isms and test it in PrBoom+ -cl 2 or a vanilla-compat port so that more people will play it. It's a total waste to have a vanilla wad that only works in (G)ZDoom.

You use the same lift texture for both the lift you have to press use on and lifts/floors that are lowered by remote switches. That's something to avoid. Apart from secrets, of course, the player should be able to tell which features of the map are "usable" and which aren't. Also, it's generally a good thing when players can see, or at least easily infer, what a switch triggers. So it's suboptimal that you have that floor in the main (keyless) building that's lowered by a switch in some shut-off room all the way on the other side of a map. The monster closets you open up are a good attempt to solve that problem -- they work as breadcrumbs. You should probably warp in even more monsters to solidify the trail! It's a small map, though, so it's not entirely confusing.

I'll see what I can do with your advice and I'll tool around with the map on a version of prBOOM+ & Chocolate DOOM. I'll try and change around a few of the lifts and textures and make it more clear in a visual sense for players so they understand how lifts and doors work. I'm happy with the quick response, thanks for that.

Edit: I've edited the map so it's compatible with Chocolate DOOM & prBOOM+. It can be played from start to finish. Any other problems, then just let me know.

A really nice map! I don't understand rdwpa complaint about the lifts with the remote switch, the map is so small and simple that you can't get lost. Putting the enemies to repopulate the areas for the backtracking and to guide the player is a good thing. I would suggest to hint the secrets somehow, the armor was fine but the other 2 involve just some random wall humping.

gaspe said:

A really nice map! I don't understand rdwpa complaint about the lifts with the remote switch, the map is so small and simple that you can't get lost. Putting the enemies to repopulate the areas for the backtracking and to guide the player is a good thing. I would suggest to hint the secrets somehow, the armor was fine but the other 2 involve just some random wall humping.

I could try and move a secret or two around the acid pools and change how the player discovers them.

Hey there!

I made a demo with my thoughts on it.

Great effort here, Soul, I really dig the vibe you managed to capture here and you carried it out so well. I really look forward to seeing more in this series and from you. :)

T_Silverwolf said:

Hey there!

I made a demo with my thoughts on it.

Great effort here, Soul, I really dig the vibe you managed to capture here and you carried it out so well. I really look forward to seeing more in this series and from you. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLV3gGJI_1Y&feature=youtu.be

I sat down and watched the whole thing. Thanks for liking my map. I'm going to try and continue these maps when I have the spare time. With the feedback I've received from the users on this thread I'm very happy to continue my work when I have the spare time.

FDA recorded in Chocolate Doom (play it back by launching Chocolate Doom from command line with parameters "-file <wadname>.wad -playdemo <demoname>.lmp"). The architectural/visual/detailing style was nice, in a classic IWAD-esque way. However, the progression was rather linear - I personally prefer nonlinearity, as in exploring parts of the map not in a given order, but in an order according to my choice. Also, the gameplay could be described as "shooting gallery" where every enemy is encountered from the front side and the player gets infinite advantage from staying back until he shoots what's in front of him, rather than being challenged dynamically, for example by traps or encounters involving enemies attacking from various directions/heights at once, being able to pose some threat that the player can't avoid purely by staying back. Either way, not bad. Keep up the good work!

The acid pools around the processor column is a nice effect. I can't comment on the details as I'm learning myself, but the flow felt really good playing this level. In fact I had to play it a couple of times after recording. Nice level!

PrBoom+ FDA

I think that this is a solid map. It flows very nicely and a nice array of heights and use of lifts,doors,etc. I agree with scifista that it does need combat not just straight infront of the player. Try adding in some suprises like monster closets, best time is when the player is lulled into a false sense of security. Also the berserk secret was a bit too secret as I had to hump all the walls to find that. Candles is how a lot of people mark secrets without being too obvious or misaligned textures. Otherwise it's a very nice map, good job :).

My run : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNNcjgMv2p0&feature=youtu.be

This map is absolutely brilliant. I don't know what to say other than I love it and feels like it could have been made by id. Top job, loved the armour secret.